The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

how come? The z7 only does 5.5 FPS properly?
as above that's a joke right? lol
or is it a case of pot calling the kettle black :p
Think you've both missed the point ;) I've been talking about my ideal camera and I've mentioned what I would like in the Z to make it my perfect camera, putting A9 specs in wouldn't make it the ideal camera for the reason I stated (y)

I assume you mean the act of an APS-C sensor cropping the image circle rather than cropping in post as the latter would 'remove' mushy corners whatever the format. But the former would only be true if using a FF lens on APS-C body wouldn't it, if you use an APS-C lens won't it have the same design flaws as a FF lens, or does it not work like that?

Yup.

If you use a FF lens on a smaller format you wont use the whole image circle so you'll lose any weak corners but if you keep the same output size you'll make the central area look worse because you've magnified it more. It's the same with cropping post capture if you keep the output size the same as you're magnifying part of the image more and that has to make it less sharp. It's as simple as that, it's the amount of enlargement.

If you use a lens designed for the smaller format, a good one, it'll very probably be sharper than a good FF lens. That's my experience when comparing my film lenses to native MFT ones which produce sharper pictures. Logic tells me that APS-C is bigger then MFT but still smaller than FF so there'll be less magnification factor compared to MFT but more compared to FF so film era lens performance on APS-C should be somewhere between what it would be on MFT and FF. A bit better than MFT but still not as good as FF.

It doesn't matter what the format is, if you enlarge it more and more or look at it closer and closer because that's the same thing it'll look worse and worse.

Om currently in Tokyo and had couple of hours to kill and went to this little staircase, this couple was there taking instagram pics of each other and i took this one of them. If you have seen Your Name it'll make more sense.

0Xiuy5d.jpg

Om currently in Tokyo and had couple of hours to kill and went to this little staircase, this couple was there taking instagram pics of each other and i took this one of them. If you have seen Your Name it'll make more sense...

A really good film and a nice picture :D

I can't remember, is it in the film?

Last edited:
You lose the mushy corners with APS-C by cropping and the more you crop the more weaknesses are likely to be seen assuming you keep the same output size. I've seen this with MFT and lenses which are weak but better on FF despite any weak corners. The most obvious for this are my 24 and 28mm lenses which are just blown away by the Olympus 25mm f1.8 MFT lens but they're ok on my A7. APS-C wont be as demanding as MFT but it's still more demanding on lenses than FF and of course I can't use my film era lenses at their intended FoV on APS-C.

The newer ones may be better than my A7 but the ones I've looked at to date haven't been and I've stopped looking as I can't see any real advantage in APS-C, for me, not while I have MFT. My MFT kit is smaller as a camera and lens package but really it's now only for silent shooting and for using my 45-150mm on. I've been thinking of trying to sell my GX80 but in reality what's the point as I'd get next to nothing for it which is a shame as it's a very capable camera.

I'd suggest a part of the reason purpose-designed MFT lenses seem sharper on MFT is that old lenses simply never had to be anywhere near the kind of quality we expect now because film simply didn't require it. Yes, the crop factor makes the older lens seem worse, but I suspect if you stick a decent modern FF lens on an MFT camera the results won't be so different from the MFT lens.

Having used various Nikon fit lenses with my old D610 and pixel-peeped quite hard, the only lens I had that got near matching sensor performance was a Samyang 85 f1.4 (i.e. modern lens). All the Nikon lenses I owned (including a 50 f1.8 G) were relatively soft and couldn't tolerate much cropping. The same is true, though to a slightly lesser degree, with my better Minolta lenses which generally perform better than the Nikon stuff I've owned, the Sony/Minolta 50 f1.4 and beercan being pretty good especially when stopped down a bit, and worked OK on crop.

I'd suggest a part of the reason purpose-designed MFT lenses seem sharper on MFT is that old lenses simply never had to be anywhere near the kind of quality we expect now because film simply didn't require it. Yes, the crop factor makes the older lens seem worse, but I suspect if you stick a decent modern FF lens on an MFT camera the results won't be so different from the MFT lens.

Having used various Nikon fit lenses with my old D610 and pixel-peeped quite hard, the only lens I had that got near matching sensor performance was a Samyang 85 f1.4 (i.e. modern lens). All the Nikon lenses I owned (including a 50 f1.8 G) were relatively soft and couldn't tolerate much cropping. The same is true, though to a slightly lesser degree, with my better Minolta lenses which generally perform better than the Nikon stuff I've owned, the Sony/Minolta 50 f1.4 and beercan being pretty good especially when stopped down a bit, and worked OK on crop.

minolta 80-200mm/2.8, minolta 200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and 600mm f4 still hold their own against newer versions.

minolta 80-200mm/2.8, minolta 200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and 600mm f4 still hold their own against newer versions.

I consider Minolta lenses to be a bit better than typical 'enthusiast' lenses. Those, however, were seriously top-end, and priced accordingly, rather than being the kind of cooking lenses we were talking about. I'm pretty sure that Canon and Nikon lenses of a similar type and age will also be pretty good too.

Recall - Important product information
November 14, 2019
Sony Corporation
Sony Imaging Products & Solutions Corporation
Sony Marketing Corporation
Notice of Free Inspection and Repair of Some Products of Digital Single-lens Camera α ™
[E Mount] Lens FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM “SEL1635GM”

Thank you for your continued patronage of Sony products.
In some products of our FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM “SEL1635GM” lens for our digital single-lens camera α ™ [E mount] released on July 28, 2017, the camera is operated when this lens is installed. It has been confirmed that events such as not accepting may occur.

Therefore, we will inspect and repair the target product free of charge. Please confirm the following contents and contact us. You can also apply from this website.
We apologize for any inconvenience or inconvenience caused to customers who use the product. Thank you for your continued patronage of our products.

■ Target products
Lens for digital single-lens camera α ™ [E mount] FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM "SEL1635GM"
■ Target serial number
Part of 1800502 to 1823192

■ Event
  • Camera does not accept operation when this lens is attached
  • Camera screen does not display properly when this lens is attached
■ Contents
We will inspect and repair the target lens free of charge.

■ How to check the serial number
The serial number is written on the model nameplate attached to the side of the lens.

20191114_img01.jpg

■ Confirmation of target product by serial number
Enter the 7-digit serial number in the “Application from the web (collection repair)” below and press the “Confirm / Application screen” button to check if the product you are using is eligible.
* If applicable, the “Returning Repair” request page will open. You can fill in the necessary information and apply for "take-over repair" (can be canceled and applied at a later date).
* If not applicable, the message “Product with the entered serial number is not covered by this case” will be displayed.

■ Application from this web site (collection repair)

I am waiting for the official Sony UK information... will keep you updated.

I got by with 1 battery with the A7iii, never needed another.
Yeah but I bought the Vertical Battery Grip and then managed to buy another for a decent price. You know me.... I like to collect these things sometimes lol :D

First up - screen protector, how did I not order this yesterday. :eek:
Because it costs a whopping £33? :D lol
What about extended Sony warranty?
Mine ends 01/08/2021 :(

Last edited:

The reason I got into all this was the question of old film era lenses being better or worse on APS-C than on FF and for me the answer is quite simple, they perform less well due to the increased enlargement.

My point about the Oly 25mm f1.8 thrashing my film lenses on MFT was just to highlight the fact that they perform quite well on my A7 but relatively poorly on MFT whilst the better MFT lenses are designed to be sharper from the outset because they need to be because of the greater enlargement. Looking at MFT + MFT lenses v FF + old film era lenses the old lens, depending on what it is, could win it for FF. I have a lot of heavy crops taken with my A7 and old film lenses and they look ok on my screen perhaps because even though they're heavy crops they're not as heavy as they would be on MFT.

Anyone who's interested can look up MTF graphs and the like but these will be skewed by sensor spec and performance and there's sensor stack thickness too so it could all get messy quite quickly but I'm sure I've read that some of the better MFT lenses would be very very good FF lenses if scaled up and that makes sense to me as if you're using a smaller format and enlarging more it'll be better to start with a sharper lens. Thinking back to when I had APS-C my sharpest lens was the APS-C Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 which was the sharpest lens I'd used on any camera until I got the Sigma 50mm f1.4. I was never really wowed by some of the FF lenses I used on my 20D but I was happier with them on my 5D.

The reason I got into all this was the question of old film era lenses being better or worse on APS-C than on FF and for me the answer is quite simple, they perform less well due to the increased enlargement.

It's not a question of Sensor size, but of individual pixel size.

A lens will appear increasingly sharp as pixel size reduces towards the limit of lens resolution (IE When the lens out resolves the sensor, a higher resolution sensor cna show more detail), then will appear increasingly soft as pixel size continues to reduce past the limit of resolution (IE When a sensor out resolves a lens, increasing resolution simply makes the deficiency more obvious)

APS-C typically has smaller pixels than FF, but that does depend on the camera;

A6xxx cameras, APS-C, 24Mp, 6.6Mp/cm^2
A9, FF 24Mp, 2.83 MP/cm^2
A7Riv, 61MP, 7.18 MP/cm^2

So an A7Riv is more likely to out resolve an old lens than an A6xxx (or an A9), so although FF, is less suited to use with some older lenses than an A6xxx

It's not a question of Sensor size, but of individual pixel size.

A lens will appear increasingly sharp as pixel size reduces towards the limit of lens resolution (IE When the lens out resolves the sensor, a higher resolution sensor cna show more detail), then will appear increasingly soft as pixel size continues to reduce past the limit of resolution (IE When a sensor out resolves a lens, increasing resolution simply makes the deficiency more obvious)

APS-C typically has smaller pixels than FF, but that does depend on the camera;

A6xxx cameras, APS-C, 24Mp, 6.6Mp/cm^2
A9, FF 24Mp, 2.83 MP/cm^2
A7Riv, 61MP, 7.18 MP/cm^2

So an A7Riv is more likely to out resolve an old lens than an A6xxx (or an A9), so although FF, is less suited to use with some older lenses than an A6xxx

Is it anything to do with enlargement?

always wondered the same thing!
would be interested to hear your thoughts/decision :)

Should all be positive, which shouldn't surprise you. Unlikely there will be many, if any negatives. Does nearly everything better than the camera he upgraded from.

My point about the Oly 25mm f1.8 thrashing my film lenses on MFT was just to highlight the fact that they perform quite well on my A7 but relatively poorly on MFT whilst the better MFT lenses are designed to be sharper from the outset because they need to be because of the greater enlargement. Looking at MFT + MFT lenses v FF + old film era lenses the old lens, depending on what it is, could win it for FF. I have a lot of heavy crops taken with my A7 and old film lenses and they look ok on my screen perhaps because even though they're heavy crops they're not as heavy as they would be on MFT.

Anyone who's interested can look up MTF graphs and the like but these will be skewed by sensor spec and performance and there's sensor stack thickness too so it could all get messy quite quickly but I'm sure I've read that some of the better MFT lenses would be very very good FF lenses if scaled up and that makes sense to me as if you're using a smaller format and enlarging more it'll be better to start with a sharper lens. Thinking back to when I had APS-C my sharpest lens was the APS-C Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 which was the sharpest lens I'd used on any camera until I got the Sigma 50mm f1.4. I was never really wowed by some of the FF lenses I used on my 20D but I was happier with them on my 5D.

I don't have any issues using old manual focus lenses on MFT

[url=https://flic.kr/p/28PCnSt]Rosie Chinon 50mm f1.9 by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

Should all be positive, which shouldn't surprise you. Unlikely there will be many, if any negatives. Does nearly everything better than the camera he upgraded from.

We were talking about warranty/insurance :)

The A9 should be better in a few ways but there's a big cost difference so I hope its a worthwhile upgrade. A7iii has 10FPS, video profiles and 1 stop better DR at base and I do like a push in PP so will be interesting to see how the A9 does in that scenario.

We were talking about warranty/insurance :)

The A9 should be better in a few ways but there's a big cost difference so I hope its a worthwhile upgrade. A7iii has 10FPS, video profiles and 1 stop better DR at base and I do like a push in PP so will be interesting to see how the A9 does in that scenario.

Where's my coat?

Back