The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Basically in the studio only the modelling lights are on.

Camera set to 1/200th at f11 in manual mode and can't see a thing through the EVF.
Press the BBF and very bright image appears in EVF and lens focusses (50mm f1.8 FE).

Once focus is achieved back to black again which makes it hard to recompose.

It must be a setting as everything else about the body works fine.

Been Googling it but no luck so far.
Should have asked me first lol as I shoot on those settings mate...

Put live effects to off.. 185514276.jpg

Considering the crazy shift observed from my peers to Sony I am about to dip my feet in Sony camera and lens territory. Selling up my medium format and going to hopefully enjoy taking my camera out again.

Contemplating the new RIV model and possibly an A9 second generation, money isn't really a problem so I'm guessing these are the best to go with ?

I think Im getting to old, new A9, delivered, haven't even spent more than 5 mins with it. WTF responsibilities.

.... where's that bloody old man emoji.

I haven’t even taken a shot with mine yet. Really need to advertise the A73 to help cover its cost lol

Considering the crazy shift observed from my peers to Sony I am about to dip my feet in Sony camera and lens territory. Selling up my medium format and going to hopefully enjoy taking my camera out again.

Contemplating the new RIV model and possibly an A9 second generation, money isn't really a problem so I'm guessing these are the best to go with ?

Yes, they are - landscape/general use and sports/weddings apparently.

You'll need a bag full of GM glass too, if money isn't an issue. ;)

I wonder what they're up to at DPR?

I don't read every review over there so I may be missing some equally bad/biased ones but I don't remember them having what seems to be an unfounded dig like this before.

Read through it, and it sounds more like a review by someone who has used the cameras for a day or two - rather than for a couple of weeks (IE The controls are nto where he's used to them, so they must be in the wrong place).
It's similar to when I hired a car when I went on holiday to Spain recently.
The first couple of days it was clear to me that having the gear stick on the right of me made it quite impossible to drive...
By the end of the week changing gear was back to being something I just did, without having to think about it.

Yes, they're by all accounts the ones to go with.

One wide and one Tele is all I will perhaps need.

It depends if you need higher resolution and massive cropping abilities, if not the Sony A9 would be my choice, having owned a couple of A7R II’s in the past, 42mp was too much for the wedding I did with them.
Also lens choices are very subjective, do you prefer zoom’s or primes etc.
However the GM lenses are very sharp that you can easily shoot with them vs traditional DSLR prime lenses.
You can’t go wrong with the Sony holy trinity of f2.8 GM lenses and then look at primes on top for portrait work?
I have the 16-35mm f2.8 and it’s sharp throughout, so I passed on the 24mm f2.8 GM in the end.
The Sony A9 is a very special camera and has stood well compared to its age, thanks to Sony’s last couple of firmware improvements.

And I'm lusting for a 600mm GM for my upcoming Japan winter tour :help:

Maybe buy one there? Although the exchange rate is now terrible.

Next time that I go, I'll be mooching around the 'Hard Off' stores for some nice old Minolta lenses.

Maybe buy one there? Although the exchange rate is now terrible.

Next time that I go, I'll be mooching around the 'Hard Off' stores for some nice old Minolta lenses.

I can get discount (like £2k off) from HK if I wanted to and even more if I get Canon telephoto, but just checked with local UK store they have 0% finance which helps on the funding as well, decisions decisions.... o_O

Tough conditions, raining and poor light but had my first opportunity to try a bird hide (Centre Parcs Whinfell Forest)

DSC08128 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC07774 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC07743 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC07315 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC07246 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC07153 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC07019 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC06933 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr
Great to see a healthy Red Squirrel at Whinfell centre Paris. I seem to remember there was a squirrel pox outbreak a number of years ago. Good to see they are still doing well.

Great to see a healthy Red Squirrel at Whinfell centre Paris. I seem to remember there was a squirrel pox outbreak a number of years ago. Good to see they are still doing well.

Common sight yesterday and all looked healthy thankfully.

The Robin shot wins hands down...nice capture.

I wonder what they're up to at DPR?

I don't read every review over there so I may be missing some equally bad/biased ones but I don't remember them having what seems to be an unfounded dig like this before.

Ultimately reviews are just opinions but I've always felt the reviews on dpreview feel very clinical and it doesn't feel like their reviews are based on experience using the camera but instead on trying to break the camera down into various numbers. That's unfair I guess as they do clearly use the cameras extensively but I've found other sites give a much better idea of what the cameras are like to use, I remember a long time back when Olympus launched the first interchangeable lens DSLR with liveview which DPR criticised as a 'solution looking for a problem' and not something DSLR users needed or wanted. Within a few years the rest of the DSLR market would quickly follow suit with their own liveview implementations leaving DPR to do a quick u-turn and start criticising camera manufacturers for not implementing liveview.

It depends if you need higher resolution and massive cropping abilities, if not the Sony A9 would be my choice, having owned a couple of A7R II’s in the past, 42mp was too much for the wedding I did with them.

I'm tempted by an A7RIII which is still supported in the non-subscription version of Lightroom (the A7III is not), the higher resolution sensor gives something a bit different to my existing 25MP FF cameras and the prices aren't bad on them at the moment. On the other hand I tried an RX1RII with the same sensor and wasn't that impressed with the output over the 25MP cameras although I wasn't sure if that was a focus issue or user issue, when you say 42MP was too much did you simply not find any benefit from it over the 25MP cameras?

The A9 is an interesting idea but still a lot more than an A7RIII and the speed isn't that beneficial to me as I still have a D750 for when I need something fast.

Last edited:
It's no coincidence that the Robin photo is the only bird that I took with my Canon 200mm f/2.8 and all the others are with the Sigma 150-600. Much nicer file from a dull wet day with the 200mm wide open on the Robin.

Flickr says it was shot using an 85mm 1.8?

The A9 blows the D750 out of the water for speed, it’s night and day difference. Not just in the FPS but as an entire package.

And I am a D750 lover having had one for a couple of years. Still what I would say was my favourite camera but it can’t compete with the A9 and I’m not even a Sony fan boy lol.

It's no coincidence that the Robin photo is the only bird that I took with my Canon 200mm f/2.8 and all the others are with the Sigma 150-600. Much nicer file from a dull wet day with the 200mm wide open on the Robin.

Could it not be partly due to the bird being a bit bigger in the frame and more coloured?

Yes it looks like it was the squirrel that was shot using the 200mm f2.8 according to Flickr.

Yup, and it is the stand out shot of the bunch, nothing wrong with the bird shots, I like them but the squirrel [and the Robin] fill the frame more and seem to have better detail. You have to get a lot closer of course

Ultimately reviews are just opinions but I've always felt the reviews on dpreview feel very clinical and it doesn't feel like their reviews are based on experience using the camera but instead on trying to break the camera down into various numbers. That's unfair I guess as they do clearly use the cameras extensively but I've found other sites give a much better idea of what the cameras are like to use, I remember a long time back when Olympus launched the first interchangeable lens DSLR with liveview which DPR criticised as a 'solution looking for a problem' and not something DSLR users needed or wanted. Within a few years the rest of the DSLR market would quickly follow suit with their own liveview implementations leaving DPR to do a quick u-turn and start criticising camera manufacturers for not implementing liveview.

Opinions are good, I like opinions and I'd love to see more of them as some reviewers seem terrified of expressing them.

However there's a difference between stating an opinion and saying something which is misleading or even Gosh forbid a deliberate falsehood. For example that picture of the overly cluttered Sony screen as compared to the clear screen of another marque. It's a long time since I tried a Sony APS-C body but I find it hard to believe that that cluttered display has to be like that and if there's a way of decluttering it I'm left with two alternatives. Firstly the reviewer could just be an idiot who's reviewing something he doesn't know how to work or secondly he knows the display can be decluttered and is misrepresenting the situation for his own or the sites reasons. Either way this says bad things about DPR and makes me less likely to trust them.

I don't know why DPR or just that reviewer might set out to publish a deliberately distorted review. Maybe clickbait, maybe Sony have cut their advertising on the site and they've decided to bash them, maybe another manufacturer gave them a bung or maybe it's just some insane fanboyism... I don't know but there do seem to be some poor reviews based on flawed or even biased thinking.

Last edited:
Flickr says it was shot using an 85mm 1.8?

Ahh yes sorry, getting confuddled :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My point was a dull rainy day and being able to use a much faster aperture on a shorter lens as the subject was closer, resulted as expected in a much nicer file.

Last edited:
when you say 42MP was too much did you simply not find any benefit from it over the 25MP cameras?
The A9 is an interesting idea but still a lot more than an A7RIII and the speed isn't that beneficial to me as I still have a D750 for when I need something fast.

There was a benefit over a say a 24mp body but it wasn't big enough reason for me to stick with the higher resolution bodies, I prefer performance over mega pixel count etc. I also then to re-size most of my photos down to a lower resolution anyway, working with the 42mp files was slow and as a result the camera operation was sluggish, importing them and finally working on the larger tiles in Lightroom.
If your going to do a large amount of DR pull/pushing and cropping, the A7R III would be the better choice..... to be honest both are great bodies, can't go wrong with either. :D
The Nikon D750 might be fast but the Sony A9 is on a totally different league, which only 2 camera's occupy.... the other is the A9 II lol :D

Back