The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

There are two here. I remember an Italian from a few years back and she was an absolute babe but she was unfortunately a bit of an extremist. She looked good though and I can't help thinking that good looking politicians would help us get through the coming years a bit better as at least we could look at them and tune out of what they're saying/lying.

First time out with the A7R2 last night (thanks @TGphoto)

I'm rather happy with the results.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hYjYu5]Birmingham Mailbox by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hYjYyD]Broad Street Tunnel - Gas Street - Birmingham by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hYm6tK]German Christmas Market by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hYjYfx]Birmingham Big Wheel by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

All taken with Pentax SMC 28mm manual focus lens apart from the sweet sellers which was 50mm FE Sony.

Who are these "Guys" and why should I vote for them? Are there any "Gals" to vote for?

I'm going later. I'm going to vote tactically. I hate it but, there you go. We seem to live in interesting times and maybe they're about to get even more interesting. I'm not angry any more, I'm more just disappointed and depressed that this is what it's come to, in the UK.

Same here.
It's so depressing to have to vote on the basis of "This might help reduce the damage", rather than "This will help move the country forward" :(

Santa came early for me this year - he just delivered my new Sony kit :)
I'm coming from 15 years with a Canon system so a bit to learn but i'm looking forward to the reliable AF and everything else Mirrorless improves upon.

A73 and 55, 85 and 135 F1.8's
I also have the Sigma MC-11 adapter to use the Canon mount Sigma 24 F1.4

49208678842_7e488c2538_o.jpg

Last edited:
Santa came early for me this year - he just delivered my new Sony kit :)
I'm coming from 15 years with a Canon system so a bit to learn but i'm looking forward to the reliable AF and everything else Mirrorless improves upon.

A73 and 55, 85 and 135 F1.8's
I also have the Sigma MC-11 adapter to use the Canon mount Sigma 24 F1.4

49208678842_7e488c2538_o.jpg

Congratulations... and a great lenses line-up there.
Any other lenses on your future shopping list? :p

Anyone tried the 200-600mm with an A7ii?
I know it won't be as good as a iii, but will it work ?
I don't do bif or a thing fast.

Bah, new lens might have to wait because i am going back to Japan and Korea in 2 months :D

Isn't that a perfect pair of places for er ... buying ... lenses?

The only reason I didn't buy a Sony last time that I was in Japan is that the JDM RX100s didn't have English menus available (at all). Not a problem with a lens.

Birmingham Mailbox by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Broad Street Tunnel - Gas Street - Birmingham by Terence Rees, on Flickr

German Christmas Market by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Birmingham Big Wheel by Terence Rees, on Flickr

All taken with Pentax SMC 28mm manual focus lens apart from the sweet sellers which was 50mm FE Sony.

Good stuff! That lens creates some epic stars!

Isn't that a perfect pair of places for er ... buying ... lenses?

The only reason I didn't buy a Sony last time that I was in Japan is that the JDM RX100s didn't have English menus available (at all). Not a problem with a lens.

It's not that much cheaper, it will technically be grey (unless you pay the 20% tax when you land), and you will have no warranty even if you did pay the 20% tax and duty at arrival. I would think if you send it to Sony for repair the first year and they ask for a receipt..."Japanese? No, go away."

Panamoz is much cheaper if you are going to go grey.

Last edited:
Pretty much got the hang of the A73 setup now. It took me ages to find the custom button menu as it's hidden behind the movie settings page :rolleyes:
Eye AF is amazing and so much easier to use than moving focus points around manually with joysticks or buttons.

Last edited:
I Voted for the first time in 52 years today.....

Birmingham Mailbox by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Broad Street Tunnel - Gas Street - Birmingham by Terence Rees, on Flickr

German Christmas Market by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Birmingham Big Wheel by Terence Rees, on Flickr

damn you @GreenNinja67, I was trying so hard to resist the temptation of the a7riii. I’m only a keen enthusiast.

It's not that much cheaper, it will technically be grey (unless you pay the 20% tax when you land), and you will have no warranty even if you did pay the 20% tax and duty at arrival. I would think if you send it to Sony for repair the first year and they ask for a receipt..."Japanese? No, go away."

Panamoz is much cheaper if you are going to go grey.

Fair enough. I always presumed that Sony's warranty was international!

IMHO, it's not a grey import, it's a professional purchase for bought by someone who travels (and the international market is what Akihabara and every Labi/etc store relies on).

Fair enough. I always presumed that Sony's warranty was international!

IMHO, it's not a grey import, it's a professional purchase for bought by someone who travels (and the international market is what Akihabara and every Labi/etc store relies on).

it is grey import in Sony’s eyes, for one thing I won’t be able to register it to the Pro Support gear list.

Question Guys....

Would you keep a Sony a7r3 or a Fuji X-H1? Reasons too please. I just can’t decide.

Cheers

Andy

Pretty much got the hang of the A73 setup now. It took me ages to find the custom button menu as it's hidden behind the movie settings page :rolleyes:
Eye AF is amazing and so much easier to use than moving focus points around manually with joysticks or buttons.

Having focus points clustered in the central area seems so last century now.

Question Guys....

Would you keep a Sony a7r3 or a Fuji X-H1? Reasons too please. I just can’t decide.

Cheers

Andy

The biggest issue for me would be that the Fuji is APS-C and I like FF because I can use my old film era lenses at their intended field of view. Other than that I find APS-C sandwiched between FF and MFT neither matching the quality of FF or the bulk and weight savings of MFT. But I can see how people would go for APS-C as a do it all, apart from film era lens FoV, option.

That probably didn't help you did it? :D

Last edited:
Question Guys....

Cheers

Andy
If it was me I’d keep the A7R3, off the top of my head I can’t think of an area where the Fuji is better.

Question Guys....

Cheers

Andy

If you own both, you tell us?

All I can say is I've had the urge for FF again recently, but every time I use the middle of the road APSC Fuji, and process the images, I'm continuously impressed. Then I wonder [again] what more do 'I' need. What you 'need' may well be very different, and I don't think anyone can really tell you one way or the other.

I shot a party today with the X-H1, no flash, and only used a 16mm, set it to 1/250th and auto ISO - flicked between 1.4 and 2.8 all day, never even checked to see what the ISO was doing. Turned out a lot of the images were between 2500 and 6400 and in post I really felt I didn't need to tinker with much, let alone the NR. What would a FFML have offered me over this? Possibly a cleaner image at the same ISO, but after showing people [who don't pixel peep] the images, not one person noticed any noise or suggested the DOF could have been shallower .... I also didn't miss focus on any images - and a lot of it was shooting dance floor [Christmas party]

If it was me I’d keep the A7R3, off the top of my head I can’t think of an area where the Fuji is better.

Price. Lenses maybe? not feeling the need to bung GM lenses on because you're using a higher end body.

If you own both, you tell us?

All I can say is I've had the urge for FF again recently, but every time I use the middle of the road APSC Fuji, and process the images, I'm continuously impressed. Then I wonder [again] what more do 'I' need. What you 'need' may well be very different, and I don't think anyone can really tell you one way or the other.

I shot a party today with the X-H1, no flash, and only used a 16mm, set it to 1/250th and auto ISO - flicked between 1.4 and 2.8 all day, never even checked to see what the ISO was doing. Turned out a lot of the images were between 2500 and 6400 and in post I really felt I didn't need to tinker with much, let alone the NR. What would a FFML have offered me over this? Possibly a cleaner image at the same ISO, but after showing people [who don't pixel peep] the images, not one person noticed any noise or suggested the DOF could have been shallower .... I also didn't miss focus on any images - and a lot of it was shooting dance floor [Christmas party]

Price. Lenses maybe? not feeling the need to bung GM lenses on because you're using a higher end body.
Fuji lenses aren’t particularly cheap and you can get some really good relatively cheap primes for the Sony, plus 3rd Party availability for the Sony (y)

The Fuji (like most modern cameras) is well up to the job, but the Sony does everything a little bit better so if you have the choice of either why choose the Fuji?

Question Guys....

Cheers

Andy

A7Riii simply because it's better than X-H1 in almost every way. If you already own one there is no real reason to downgrade.

A7Riii simply because it's better than X-H1 in almost every way. If you already own one there is no real reason to downgrade.

Hell after last night using the A7R2 for the first time I'd go for the 2 over any Fuji!

Had the XT1 & 2 and Sony blows them out of the water.

I was taking shots at 12800 ISO last night and kept all the detail.

Fuji lenses aren’t particularly cheap and you can get some really good relatively cheap primes for the Sony, plus 3rd Party availability for the Sony (y)

The Fuji (like most modern cameras) is well up to the job, but the Sony does everything a little bit better so if you have the choice of either why choose the Fuji?

A lot of Fuji lenses are cheap, you're just thinking on the fancier ones. The Sony in question here is a LOT pricier than an XH1 [or even I might own one] - like I said, reason 1: price. Maybe he wants to save some cash by selling the A7RIII? this is why none of us can really suggest, not enough info, and all that other mine is better than yours BS ...

Also, why don't you own a Sony already since you live in here and seem to sing their praises so much? :p

Last edited:
A lot of Fuji lenses are cheap, you're just thinking on the fancier ones. The Sony

in question here is a LOT pricier than an XH1 [or even I might own one] - like I said, reason 1: price. Maybe he wants to save some cash by selling the A7RIII? this is why none of us can really suggest, not enough info, and all that other mine is better than yours BS ...

Also, why don't you own a Sony already since you live in here and seem to sing their praises so much? :p

Hahahahahahaha.

Try reading my last post again Keith. Slowly if you have to.

Actually I don't want to get into a slanging match with you, I know you have a shorter fuse than a Lidl firework :)

I own a Sony A7ii AND an A7Rii mate.

Back