The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Last edited:
apart from the siggy and some fixed lens compact, I don't really believe the rest. Let's see what happens.....

He says the guy providing the A7s info has been right before but of course he could be wrong this time.

Time will tell.

Something new must be due though, surely? :D Especially with Canikon appearing to try now.

He says the guy providing the A7s info has been right before but of course he could be wrong this time.

Time will tell.

Something new must be due though, surely? :D Especially with Canikon appearing to try now.

SAR has been posting every new camera as an A7S3 for the past 3 years.

My prediction is there will be an A7iv some time around a photo show. Bet Im right.... eventually.

Last edited:

My prediction is there will be an A7iv some time around a photo show. Bet Im right.... eventually.

At least it's something to read and talk about.

I've just had a rather frustrating chat with two Thai girls, relatives of Mrs WW and mine now too by marriage. They're not fluent in English and I'd much rather talk to you lot about camera gear real or rumored :D

There are a lot of Thai ladies in my life now... Chinese too. Many of them are absolutely gorgeous and most of them are single so many I wonder if the Thai may die out. Me and the Mrs should start an introduction agency.

PS,
On that some subject. I've been to Kazakhstan a few times and there's a very high single babe count there. They're so desperate for men they'll fight over you. Even I was pestered... and I wasn't looking to be.

Last edited:

it'd be nice if they bough out A7IV spec'd same as R5 for £2K lol

I wonder if they'll change the ergonomics, menus and/or colour science. You can't please everyone though.

There are a lot of Thai ladies in my life now... Chinese too. Many of them are absolutely gorgeous and most of them are single so many I wonder if the Thai may die out. Me and the Mrs should start an introduction agency.

PS,
On that some subject. I've been to Kazakhstan a few times and there's a very high single babe count there. They're so desperate for men they'll fight over you. Even I was pestered... and I wasn't looking to be.
Can you tell me exactly where you were pestered? Coordinates will do fine.......

haha!

This was a few years ago now and I guess there are always plenty of men available but some women don't want the locals as there's a lot of alcohol abuse and many also (so I'm told) have a bad attitude to women. Foreigners are therefore in demand. The same is true in Thailand and I once had a stunning Nigerian GF who said the same too. It didn't work out with her as although she was stunning she was also a cockney :D

I was pestered at the apple city ski resort. Two days running a Russian woman tried to get me to leave my GF and go off with her. GF told me I wasn't to talk to strange women anymore which irked me as during these two accostations I hardly said a word. She was once accosted in a restaurant when having a business meeting/dinner with two males. The other woman wanted a man and demanded that she hand one over as she didn't need two. Apparently there was quite a row over them and then GF and her men had to quickly leave.

Cooke PS945 v Pinkham & Smith Visual Quality IV Series II.

https://richardman.photo/2020/04/ps-visual-quality-vs-ps945/

If you fancy the Cooke...

https://www.robertwhite.co.uk/cooke...-format-soft-focus-lens-copal-3s-shutter.html

Lovely.

A PS945 review including landscape.

https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2020/01/cooke-ps945-xva-lenses/

The above lead me to this, Cooke anamorphic lenses on an A7s.

https://SPAM/storm-shelter/cooke-anamorphic-primes-on-a-sony-a7s-a-world-first-maybe-5714d7ace471

Really like the rendering of that Pinkham & Smith lens, but I absolutely CBA to use large format. :p

Really like the rendering of that Pinkham & Smith lens, but I absolutely CBA to use large format. :p

I was really impressed with the look from both lenses.

The razor depth dof thing can be done to death and we see it a lot but there's no denying those pictures look nice. They made me think of my Voigtlanders, they're not necessarily lenses people would expect to be technically perfect but they are designed to give a look by people who know what they want to achieve.

I was really impressed with the look from both lenses.

The razor depth dof thing can be done to death and we see it a lot but there's no denying those pictures look nice. They made me think of my Voigtlanders, they're not necessarily lenses people would expect to be technically perfect but they are designed to give a look by people who know what they want to achieve.

I think that the look I've been after is that large format appearance with a smooth sharpness, rather than the crunchy appearance that goes with high contrast and a zoom, and then a gentle soft bleed into bokeh. It's one of the reasons I liked that Viltrox 85 f1.8 so much, because it delivered the smoothness while still being nicely neutral. The Sammy 50 f1,4 also did it, though depth of field was too great, being just a 50. I should probably look for a large aperure 135.

:oops: :$ $$$

I think that the look I've been after is that large format appearance with a smooth sharpness, rather than the crunchy appearance that goes with high contrast and a zoom, and then a gentle soft bleed into bokeh. It's one of the reasons I liked that Viltrox 85 f1.8 so much, because it delivered the smoothness while still being nicely neutral. The Sammy 50 f1,4 also did it, though depth of field was too great, being just a 50. I should probably look for a large aperure 135.

Sigma 85, 105, 135. Stunning... Bargains are around.

There's a nice Canon 135mm in the classifieds that'll fix your problem.

Sorry if I'm going over old ground but does anyone use a Peak design leash with there A7 ? Particularly with something like the Tamron 28-75 ?

thanks

Hi currently looking for 2 new lenses to go with my Sony A7iii, I enjoy astrophotogroahy so looking for a wide angle low light lens, narrowed it down to the Samyang 18mm f2.8, I understand there’s lots of negativity about Samyang lenses however I’m not a professional and just enjoy taking photos. Does anyone use this and how are they finding it?

Im also interested in the 45mm f1.8 as a portrait and travel lens, I have changed to the Sony A7 due to the size and portability so don’t want some massive heavy lens so think these two are good shouts. Looking forward to hearing about people’s experience with both, watched plenty YouTube vids and certainly they seem to get positive reviews.

Thanks!

Hi currently looking for 2 new lenses to go with my Sony A7iii, I enjoy astrophotogroahy so looking for a wide angle low light lens, narrowed it down to the Samyang 18mm f2.8, I understand there’s lots of negativity about Samyang lenses however I’m not a professional and just enjoy taking photos. Does anyone use this and how are they finding it?

Im also interested in the 45mm f1.8 as a portrait and travel lens, I have changed to the Sony A7 due to the size and portability so don’t want some massive heavy lens so think these two are good shouts. Looking forward to hearing about people’s experience with both, watched plenty YouTube vids and certainly they seem to get positive reviews.

Thanks!

I have the 18mm f2.8 and am very happy with it - nice and sharp and very small.

Interested in the 45mm but as I already own the 35 f2.8 I can't justify having both.

Thanks!

optically most samyang lenses are good. The issue is their quality control i.e. finding a good copy of it that is not decentered. By all mean buy them but be sure to test them out first properly and make sure where ever you buy from has a good return policy.

Thanks!

Had three of them. Two decentered and one had scratches on an internal element.

Ended up giving up on it.

Thanks!

I have bought both lenses. As I have mentioned here previously I had to return the first 45mm f/1.8 I had as it was a completely duff lens. As nandbytes mentioned above though that is par for the course with quality control being a real issue with Samyang lenses and as he suggested you should look to purchase form a supplier with a good return policy as you may have to try a few copies to find one you are happy with. Camera Centre's ebay shop is quite good they are often included in the eBay offers, there is 20% of up to a value of £75 at the moment. They returned and replaced my 45mm with no issues and where quick to sort it out as well. It isn't the sharpest lens in the world but it sharp enough and has nice rendering. A.F is noisy and a bit hesistant and it struggles a lot in low light for acquisition. It's good enough lens for everyday photos and it's small and light weight.

The 18mm f/2.8 does get great reviews, I am always quite dubious of any reviews on Samyang equipment as they hand out free equipment like confetto to reviewers more so than any other manufacturer. I bought this lens for my daughter she likes the small Samyang lenses mainly for their tiny size. With this one the first 3 copies I bought were decentered and had to be returned, the 4th copy happily wasn't decentered. This seems to be quite a common issue with the 18mm lens in particular although this is something that crops up a lot with all Samyang lenses. I haven't used it all other than just to check that it was functioning as it should, but she has taken some nice photos and videos with it. Like most of the Samyang lenses a.f hunts a bit in low light. I have no idea about astro to be honest so am not sure really what the requirements are for that. I would have thought thought that an f/1.4 or f/1.8 lens would probably have been a better option. Maybe better to wait until you can increase your budget to something like the Sony 20mm f/1.8.

If you haven't used a Samyang lens before just beaware that for whatever reason lens coating or whatever they render very warm, every photo has a slight orange tint that is hard to match in post with other manufacturers lenses.

Last edited:

Thanks!

Maybe just avoid the whole potential Samyang quality minefield and try and find a used Sony 35mm f2.8 at a price you'll pay. It may be worth paying extra for piece of mind.

I have bought both lenses. As I have mentioned here previously I had to return the first 45mm f/1.8 I had as it was a completely duff lens. As nandbytes mentioned above though that is par for the course with quality control being a real issue with Samyang lenses and as he suggested you should look to purchase form a supplier with a good return policy as you may have to try a few copies to find one you are happy with. Camera Centre's ebay shop is quite good they are often included in the eBay offers, there is 20% of up to a value of £75 at the moment. They returned and replaced my 45mm with no issues and where quick to sort it out as well. It isn't the sharpest lens in the world but it sharp enough and has nice rendering. A.F is noisy and a bit hesistant and it struggles a lot in low light for acquisition. It's good enough lens for everyday photos and it's small and light weight.

The 18mm f/2.8 does get great reviews, I am always quite dubious of any reviews on Samyang equipment as they hand out free equipment like confetto to reviewers more so than any other manufacturer. I bought this lens for my daughter she likes the small Samyang lenses mainly for their tiny size. With this one the first 3 copies I bought were decentered and had to be returned, the 4th copy happily wasn't decentered. This seems to be quite a common issue with the 18mm lens in particular although this is something that crops up a lot with all Samyang lenses. I haven't used it all other than just to check that it was functioning as it should. Like most of the Samyang lenses a.f hunts a bit in low light. I have no idea about astro to be honest so am not sure really what the requirements are for that. I would have thought thought that an f/1.4 or f/1.8 lens would probably have been a better option. Maybe better to wait until you can increase your budget to something like the Sony 20mm f/1.8.

I think other manufacturers also produce lenses that are decentered to varying degrees but people don't check or notice. I'm not saying that issues don't exist with Samyang lenses but I don't think its unique to Samyang....

Unless I saw evidence I'm not sure i believe they hand out any more free lenses to reviewers than other manufacturers do either - of course I may be proved wrong here.

Well if my recent experience with sigma is anything to go by they are just as bad as samyang!

Well if my recent experience with sigma is anything to go by they are just as bad as samyang!

You've had 2, not seen anyone else here complain, but plenty of duff Samyangs across the product line and dont exclude Sony.

You've had 2, not seen anyone else here complain, but plenty of duff Samyangs across the product line and dont exclude Sony.

Sony seem to pick certain favourites and make 99% of all copies of those decentered

Not the first time I have had issues with sigma UWA lenses though. Same story with the DSLR 10-20mm lenses. Went through 3 copies of those.

Last edited:
I think other manufacturers also produce lenses that are decentered to varying degrees but people don't check or notice. I'm not saying that issues don't exist with Samyang lenses but I don't think its unique to Samyang....

Unless I saw evidence I'm not sure i believe they hand out any more free lenses to reviewers than other manufacturers do either - of course I may be proved wrong here.

Other than Samyang I have only ever had one other decentered lens which was an old used lens that had probably picked up a knock somewhere along the line. I have never had a lens purchased new from any of the other manufacturers that had issues with decentering. I test all my kit thoroughly because I need it for work so it has to be perfect. In the last 10 years I have probably bought around 100 lenses or so probably more. Maybe I have just been lucky.

I know that Samyang give out lots of freebie gear because they offered it to me based supposedly on my "influencer status on social media", that is what they said any way. I am in no way shape or form a social media influencer. All I had to do to get free gear was to promote their products. They specifically wanted interraction on Instagram. I don't even have that many followers about 13k or so. To be fair I did consider it but they also wanted YouTube video reviews and I wasn't down for that and it seemed like it could potentially take up a lot of time. Plus they actually wanted us to use the gear for work and I wouldn't be happy to rely on it.

A guy I know very well used to be a Fuji X photographer, everytime Fuji brought a new model he would be one of the guys who would test beta cameras, write reviews etc. He no longer is, not sure why, I think he just got fed up with how much time it took. Fuji never gave him anything, not one thing. Every single piece of equipment he tested had to be sent back. I also know a guy who is a brand ambassador for Nikon, I don't know him well just Facebook friends etc. he also gets pre production cameras to test and they lend him equipment, everytime something new comes out they send him one, but it all has to go back.

Samyang offered to send me whatever I was happy to promote for free and you get to keep it too, I don't know of any manufacturer that does that. Thats why I always laugh when I see YouTube reviews for Samyang equipment and they say the lens was sent by Samyang just for testing. Yes, you have to send back pre production stuff as it gets shifted to several different people, but once it goes into production they send another one for testing again and it is given to you free of charge. I know lots of other photographers that Samyang got in touch with offering the same thing, it was actually a running joke.

I only know one guy slightly who took Samyang up on their offer, funnily enough he also represents Tamron, a camera bag company and Benro. Samyang is the only one that gives him free stuff to keep, well other than crappy merchandise that all the manufacturers give.

Last edited:
A guy I know very well used to be a Fuji X photographer, everytime Fuji brought a new model he would be one of the guys who would test beta cameras, write reviews etc. He no longer is, not sure why, I think he just got fed up with how much time it took. Fuji never gave him anything, not one thing. Every single piece of equipment he tested had to be sent back. I also know a guy who is a brand ambassador for Nikon, I don't know him well just Facebook friends etc. he also gets pre production cameras to test and they lend him equipment, everytime something new comes out they send him one, but it all has to go back.

Same with sony and their ambassadors. All equipment has to go back.
I'm surprised samyang just gives them away!

Same with sony and their ambassadors. All equipment has to go back.
I'm surprised samyang just gives them away!

I can't remember the exact wording of the contract it never said you get to keep the stuff it did say loan but if they hadn't asked for it within 2 years you were allowed to keep or sell it on. The rep said they never ask for it back unless for some reason you gave them a reason for doing so like portraying the brand in a negative light. She said this was to do with poor feedback on us while representing them but it seemed very clear that this was for poor feedback on any of their products or that was certainly my impression anyway. I know several of the other guys that they contacted felt the same way.

I donlt know anyone that has a gig with Sony mores the pity, they seem to throw a lot of freebie trips to conferences etc. about but like you say not equipment.

I am not saying it makes bad business sense for Samyang to do that. Just to give one example, my website has very good metrics. If I wanted to buy a link on a website with similar metrics as my own it would cost around £800 for one guest post with one link. Samyang would have wanted content on my website, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube.

How much would the cost price be to Samyang for say sending me 3 lenses, maybe £700-£800? There is huge profit margin on lenses, its not like camera bodies were margins are low..

Last edited:
Back