The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

And whats the big difference between those two shots when you don't pixel peep, not much to my eyes!
Yet the GX7 has a smaller body, smaller sensor, smaller cost etc.
I applied this same logic before ditching my A7RII and going down to a APS-C sensor system...... the difference is not has big as it once was.... I think that todays modern APS-C sensors outperform many if not all older FF sensors from 5-10 years ago maybe?

There's no real difference in the final image when viewed normally on screen or a reasonable sized print and no one who isn't a geek like me/you/us would know or care and these cameras are all useable at up to and including ISO 25,600.

I don't know what an A3 ISO 25,600 picture would look like but home printing is such an expensive process I'm not going to do a test print and instead I'll wait until I have a picture at that ISO that I want to print that big :D

The only real difference in image quality between my cameras is how I perceive it and how much it matters to me plus there's the issue of using manual lenses and once that's a factor the A7 is the only option other than a money pit Leica... So I love my A7 because of the image quality I see and for manual lenses. MFT is good especially when I want a more responsive camera or when I want to use one of my AF MFT lenses or my manual 50mm macro lens on a MFT body.

The thing is. Sony have revolutionary sensor technology 3/4 years ago and as a result they need to use the same one maybe tweaked here and there to get the return back from there r and d work. Make no mistake Sony have been working on new sensors for the next generation and don't think we will see them until A9 mk2

I won't rumbled on as Sony will probably release the A9 II in a year or two with new features etc :D

Nowt wrong with refining. Tbh the a9 is there.... let the lenses catch up. Sony has always done the body before else thing... however, they are moving in the right direction big time. Pro support, fast zooms, excellent af... it'll get there.

Last edited:
Looked at the Classified For Sale or Swap just now [Under Other] and out of 29 entries there are 18 Fuji and only 4 Sony enties.

Does this mean that Fuji is 4.5 times more populous than Sony or does it mean Fuji peeps flit about more and Sony peeps are cool with their stuff, or some other reason?

I'll address that firstly to Riz the self-proclaimed formerly Sony guru, now Fu(ji)Guru as I've never met a Guru before (well except indirectly at a Sikh Gurdwara [Nanak]) :whistle:

I've noticed that too. I think out in the real world the Sony A6xxx is the big seller isn't it? Peeps like us lot here might buy more Fuji's though so the for sale section here may be skewed and give a distorted picture of what's selling and the behaviour of more normal peeps.

Looked at the Classified For Sale or Swap just now [Under Other] and out of 29 entries there are 18 Fuji and only 4 Sony enties.

Does this mean that Fuji is 4.5 times more populous than Sony or does it mean Fuji peeps flit about more and Sony peeps are cool with their stuff, or some other reason?

I'll address that firstly to Riz the self-proclaimed formerly Sony guru, now Fu(ji)Guru as I've never met a Guru before (well except indirectly at a Sikh Gurdwara [Nanak]) :whistle:

Simple, way more buying fuji. From watching this and the Fuji main thread there are probs 3 dedicated Sony users, in the Fuji thread however, it's the same old faces, model to model over the years, to many to count. Doesn't really matter to the user though, whatever makes them happy.

I guess on this forum the Fuji system probably has a bigger user base hence more Fuji items for sale?
You have to remember that Fuji has been around slightly longer than Sony for the mirrorless offerings.
Nothing wrong with either system really, both have their advantages and disadvantages. :)

It's always amazed me how little second hand Sony mirroless gear you see for in the classifieds, even the older bodies. Also the prices have held up very well, I guess we can all draw our conclusions......

It's always amazed me how little second hand Sony mirroless gear you see for in the classifieds, even the older bodies. Also the prices have held up very well, I guess we can all draw our conclusions......
I've been lucky several times when I've wanted a particular E-mount lens, just at that time one has shown up either on here or for a reasonable price used on WEX or LCE, almost like it's meant to be :LOL:
Just wish a used Voigtlander E mount 15mm lens would come along as I'm about to by a new one.

Forward to 5min 15sec to see how the Fuji XT-2 does AF-C with silent shutter. :)

Last edited:
Forward to 5min 15sec to see how the Fuji XT-2 does AF-C with silent shutter. :)
On a slow paced middle age woman walking in bright condition light...

What a fanboy video. Tried to watch it through but when he moaned how the A9 is overhyped and overpriced I just skipped to the relevant part.

The xt 2 can barely af slightly better than a A7R2...

U try shooting under typical indoor lighting like a basketball game and have fun with banding.

O and that camera is a crop to begin with... Apple's and oranges.

Tbh why do fuji stuff keep popping up in this thread.? It's a crop camera. No comparison. Why don't you post this on the A6xxx thread?

Last edited:
On a slow paced middle age woman walking in bright condition light...

What a fanboy video. Tried to watch it through but when he moaned how the A9 is overhyped and overpriced I just skipped to the relevant part.

The xt 2 can barely af slightly better than a A7R2...

U try shooting under typical indoor lighting like a basketball game and have fun with banding.

O and that camera is a crop to begin with... Apple's and oranges.

Tbh why do fuji stuff keep popping up in this thread.? It's a crop camera. No comparison. Why don't you post this on the A6xxx thread?

Lol :D

Where have I read all this before?

Oh yes, here, every few pages :D and Twist will be along anytime now to tell us why the Nikon D750 is soooo much better than any of them :D

Such is life... and why this seems just the right moment to post a link to the rumor site and Tony Whatshisface debunking Life The Universe And Everything that's against the A9...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony...nspiracies-banding-overheating/#disqus_thread

He makes even me want to buy an A9 :D His list of DSLR drawbacks is an eye opener too if like me you don't think about (most of) these things :D

Last edited:
Haha if it wasn't for the non-Sony posts this thread would be less interesting lol :D

Haha if it wasn't for the non-Sony posts this thread would be less interesting lol :D
The Fuji threads must be really boring then. Could do with some Sony users to troll it I imagine or better still since you find the non-Sony posts so comical maybe just copy your "comic" posts there for you - give them a hoot. ;-)))

The Fuji threads must be really boring then. Could do with some Sony users to troll it I imagine or better still since you find the non-Sony posts so comical maybe just copy your "comic" posts there for you - give them a hoot. ;-)))

Lol sure, your welcome to troll the Fuji threads but you'd be vastly outnumbered ;) lol.
Anyways I've been looking at the Sony A9 :eek:

Lol sure, your welcome to troll the Fuji threads but you'd be vastly outnumbered ;) lol.
Anyways I've been looking at the Sony A9 :eek:

Come and join me back in here.... picked up an A7rii and 24-70 GM over the weekend..... Loxia 21 and 35 arriving tomorrow!

Come and join me back in here.... picked up an A7rii and 24-70 GM over the weekend..... Loxia 21 and 35 arriving tomorrow!

I could easily get back into the Sony system but can't see the real need yet.
I'm always keeping a eye on Sony's new stuff etc, but for me the A7RII too much.
At present I'm trying not to give into GAS and but new Apple gear and a DJI Mavic Pro :eek: lol

Last edited:
I could easily get back into the Sony system but can't see the real need yet.
I'm always keeping a eye on Sony's new stuff etc, but for me the A7RII too much.
At present I'm trying not to give into GAS and but new Apple gear and a DJI Mavic Pro :eek: lol

I am seriously considering a comeback.
Been editing the XT-2 wedding photos last night (60 photos so far) and I'm not 100% convinced yet. :eek:

Is that as well as your Fuji medium format (and a D750 if your signature is still current)? Is there a reason (apart from GAS!) that all three systems are required? Is there not a crossover in what they offer?

How so? Sony seems to sell much more than fuji and so are the most used and most popular mirroless system used. (they appear to be 3rd overall behind canikon).

Just because your fuji thread is more popular does not mean nothing. Check out the many Sony alpha Facebook groups to see how popular this camera is.

Forums are a dying breed

How so? Sony seems to sell much more than fuji and so are the most used and most popular mirroless system used. (they appear to be 3rd overall behind canikon).

Just because your fuji thread is more popular does not mean nothing. Check out the many Sony alpha Facebook groups to see how popular this camera is.

Forums are a dying breed
Haha :D relax I was only pulling your leg.... I am currently eyeing up a Sony with 24mp sensor mmmmm :D lol

Forums are a dying breed

You could say the same about Fuji social media.

You could say the same about Fuji social media.
Fuji are a great company, their saving grace was Instax and the Fuji X100, they have worked hard and they are still around today.
Look at Sony's progress, they have made the A9 which rivals the big players, Nikon and Canon have been tweaking their Pro bodies for decades, Sony has managed to do it under 4 years since the original A7 launch.... that's rapid progress.
If I was working for Nikon or Canon I would be seriously concerned about the future :D

I am seriously considering a comeback.
Been editing the XT-2 wedding photos last night (60 photos so far) and I'm not 100% convinced yet. :eek:

How long you had the xt2 for? Must have done some editing before the wedding? What u not convinced about? I reckon GAS is back. A9 flavoured GAS. lol

How long you had the xt2 for? Must have done some editing before the wedding? What u not convinced about? I reckon GAS is back. A9 flavoured GAS. lol

To be honest every image up until the wedding has been perfect, lovely output, but I was pushing some really high ISO's so I guess I reached the limitations of the sensor..... its not worth changing systems to be honest but again, If the cost to switch is minimal and if I can get the same level of discount I achieved the last time, its do-able. lol :D

Last edited:
Check out the many Sony alpha Facebook groups to see how popular this camera is.

Forums are a dying breed

I haven't specifically Googled numbers or the Amazon top 10 but from what I've read on the usual blog sites the big seller is the mirrorless world is the A6xxx series and possibly an A6xxx with a kit lens. That combination may not suit everyone but it may well suit ordinary (not like us) people just as the big seller in the DSLR world is (I think...) a lower end APS-C Canikon and kit lens.

It's interesting that the A6xxx doesn't seem to get a lot of posts here on TP and that the Fuji threads seem to be very popular but as I mentioned earlier maybe this is because we're a skewed sample and not representative of the wider market. Maybe Fuji is the big seller amongst PLU.

I don't know if MFT is selling well or not but again there isn't a Fuji level of activity on this forum, not for Panasonic anyway.

Looking at DPR, and I'd advise caution when reading their threads :D I haven't read the Fuji forums but I sometimes look at the MFT and Sony FF threads and I'll generalise a bit and say that particularly in the MFT threads there's a lot of b****cks talked over there by people who clearly have no idea what they're doing which leads me to think that maybe MFT is attracting more newbies and movers up from compacts (if they still exist) or smartphones than people who've been into photography for years.

It's a shame if forums are a dying breed but life and time moves on I suppose :(

Fuji are a great company, their saving grace was Instax and the Fuji X100, they have worked hard and they are still around today.
Look at Sony's progress, they have made the A9 which rivals the big players, Nikon and Canon have been tweaking their Pro bodies for decades, Sony has managed to do it under 4 years since the original A7 launch.... that's rapid progress.
If I was working for Nikon or Canon I would be seriously concerned about the future :D

Nikon more so than Canon but they are still overall market leaders... they just need to create a decent mirrorless, Canon already has DP so is pretty much there.

Back