The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

One thing MFT can do is focus fast. Makes me wonder if tracking is needed :D

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of both the Sigma 120-300 Sport and the Sony 100-400 GM. I currently have the Sigma but I am very tempted by the Sony, for the 2kg weight saving and the extra 100mm at the long end. However the Sigma is a great lens in low light or when wanting to blur out fences etc at zoos

Twist. It was a joke. See the :D I do wish you'd read posts twist... stop being a fun sucker and get a gsoh :D

Hi Guys, anybody used a Godox 350? Is it worth it for light work, just a few product shots for a small business etc?

Also does anybody have one for sale?
I'm switching from Sony flashes to Godox so I added a TT350 to the pile. I've not had the chance to give it a full work out yet but it seems very good for the money and will be what I carry instead of an HVL-F43M.

Last edited:
The rumor site reports that Sony say that A7RIII preorders were higher than expected...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-interviews-a7riii-preorders-higher-estimated/#disqus_thread

That's nice for them :D

Saturday was lovely and sunny here and today it's the same so I hope Monday is clear and bright too as I'll have a few hours out and would like to get to use my new old 19mm f3.8 :D

I do think the Sony is the best option for a new FF now though unless you need blistering speed. I am going to get rid of my original A7 because I don't like the ergonomics and the shutter sound is hideous, found it more annoying than I thought I would. The new A7III is closing many gaps with DSLR counterparts in my opinion.

Even the A7II is a beauty and ergonomically much better + IBIS make it worth the extra cost IMO. I may even end up with one at some point but have gone for a Fuji X-T2 for now as I love the fully manual feel of it and it makes for a smaller overall package.

Have also considered the A6500 as it is £879 after cash back at Amazon currently - thats bloody tempting.

I do think the Sony is the best option for a new FF now though unless you need blistering speed. I am going to get rid of my original A7 because I don't like the ergonomics and the shutter sound is hideous, found it more annoying than I thought I would. The new A7III is closing many gaps with DSLR counterparts in my opinion.

Even the A7II is a beauty and ergonomically much better + IBIS make it worth the extra cost IMO. I may even end up with one at some point but have gone for a Fuji X-T2 for now as I love the fully manual feel of it and it makes for a smaller overall package.

Have also considered the A6500 as it is £879 after cash back at Amazon currently - thats bloody tempting.

I you don’t like the ergonomics or an a7 id advise against an a6xxx

I you don’t like the ergonomics or an a7 id advise against an a6xxx

The A6500 fits in my hands better and is ergonomically much better - even vs the a6300 the 6500 has a better grip. Similarly, the a7ii ergonomics are miles better.

Also the location of the shutter button is better.

However, I am a left eye shooter so the location of the viewfinder on the A6** series is annoying.

In this respect, the X-T2 with metal hand grip is near on perfect.

The A6500 fits in my hands better and is ergonomically much better - even vs the a6300 the 6500 has a better grip. Similarly, the a7ii ergonomics are miles better.

Also the location of the shutter button is better.

However, I am a left eye shooter so the location of the viewfinder on the A6** series is annoying.

In this respect, the X-T2 with metal hand grip is near on perfect.

For me the real dealbreaker of the a6xxx is one dial.

I do fancy an A6xxx body. One thing that would improve them for me would be two control dials near the top rather than the one at the top plus the wheel at the back set up they have now. I much prefer two near the top dials like most cameras have.

I don't mind the handling of my A7 and I do like the small form factor. The shutter is loud but I'm not sure it's louder than some Canon DSLR's I've had but it's certainly not a problem for most outdoor shooting, for quiet rooms I have my Panasonic MFT cameras.

PS.
You guys posted as I typed so it looks like I'm not alone in wanting two dials rather than one and a wheel.

PPS.
On the joystick... I occasionally used to turn the back dial when moving the focus point and this used to call up the ISO options so I disabled it and now I can't call up the ISO accidentally and I'm much happier :D I tend to move the focus point for most of my shots but although a joystick would be nice I don't lay wake at night crying over the current way of moving the focus point. It's not a deal breaker for me.

Last edited:
The Voigtlander 65mm is incredible, yes it a big unit but handles nicely on the A7rii, probably the sharpest thing I've ever used, had a brief wander out today but looking forward to properly putting it through its paces!

20171112 - VOIGTLANDER 65 MM F2 MACRO APO-LANTHAR by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

Picked up a used 15mm f4.5 from on here giving me a 15, 21, 35, 65 prime setup and the 70-200 f4 - save for maybe trying a 24-105 once its out thats my lens purchasing done for a while!

Last edited:
For me the real dealbreaker of the a6xxx is one dial.

Then you'll be pleased to hear they actually have two dials :)

You have the main dial top right, then the second dial is the disc on the back (with Disp at the top, ISO to one side, etc) - it works both as a dial (rotate it) and 5 way switch (up / down / left / right / centre).
You get used to it quite quickly, I found.
(my main camera is an A900, which has the 'traditional' front / rear top dials).

Then you'll be pleased to hear they actually have two dials :)

You have the main dial top right, then the second dial is the disc on the back (with Disp at the top, ISO to one side, etc) - it works both as a dial (rotate it) and 5 way switch (up / down / left / right / centre).
You get used to it quite quickly, I found.
(my main camera is an A900, which has the 'traditional' front / rear top dials).

I know I have had three a6000’s and used them as back ups to the A7rii. While you can get used to it, it’s annoying to lose a main dial and for me, the wheel on the a6000 feels a little too plasticky.

Just prefer the a7 series where one dial for ss, one for aperture and then the wheel for iso.

I’m being picky I know

The Voigtlander 65mm is incredible, yes it a big unit but handles nicely on the A7rii, probably the sharpest thing I've ever used, had a brief wander out today but looking forward to properly putting it through its paces!

20171112 - VOIGTLANDER 65 MM F2 MACRO APO-LANTHAR by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

Picked up a used 15mm f4.5 from on here giving me a 15, 21, 35, 65 prime setup and the 70-200 f4 - save for maybe trying a 24-105 once its out thats my lens purchasing done for a while!
of course it is :LOL::eek:

I haven't even had one A6xxx :(

A7 and cheapo Vivitar 19mm f3.8...

DSC08584.JPG

DSC08609.jpg

100% crop from that one, sharp enough :D

DSC08609-C.JPG

Nik filter fun :D

DSC08613-N2.jpg

It's not a great lens but wide open (f3.8) and f5.6 give a chance of reducing the DoF and f11 improves the corners. It's ok for screen and casual use and worth the money :D

Last edited:
Thank you :D

She likes it too and it'll no doubt soon be on her friends and family groups on Line.

I know I have had three a6000’s and used them as back ups to the A7rii. While you can get used to it, it’s annoying to lose a main dial and for me, the wheel on the a6000 feels a little too plasticky.

Just prefer the a7 series where one dial for ss, one for aperture and then the wheel for iso.

I’m being picky I know

Not picky at all - the placement of the controls, and how they fall under your fingers is an important element of camera design.

I'd prefer the extra dial of the A7 series (which I have on my A900), it it certainly easier to use then the dial on the body, but I do find as I use it more the back dial on the A6000 is a good compromise - certainly better then not having a second dial at all (which was he case for my original Sony A200).

I don't think you can complain about the build on the A6000 - when I look at what it can do, and the IQ it can achieve, for the price I paid it was great value for money - and while it is certainly 'plastic', it also feels properly put together, nothing feel like it's about to fall off.

Not picky at all - the placement of the controls, and how they fall under your fingers is an important element of camera design.

I'd prefer the extra dial of the A7 series (which I have on my A900), it it certainly easier to use then the dial on the body, but I do find as I use it more the back dial on the A6000 is a good compromise - certainly better then not having a second dial at all (which was he case for my original Sony A200).

I don't think you can complain about the build on the A6000 - when I look at what it can do, and the IQ it can achieve, for the price I paid it was great value for money - and while it is certainly 'plastic', it also feels properly put together, nothing feel like it's about to fall off.

One of the reasons I went back to it a couple of times was the image quality. Seriously impressive for such a small little camera.
To me the camera doesn’t feel as well built as the x-t10, and the evf is a little foggy for my liking. But never any complaints about the image quality.

More cold day cheap 19mm fun :D

Boaty McBigface. My Mrs with the shopping in the background :D

DSC08624.jpg

Our feet :D

DSC08585.jpg

My Mrs made me delete a big face shot of her :D

I'm quite pleased with this lens. It's the widest lens I've had for the A7 the previous ones being 24mm. I used to have a Siggy 12-24mm for my 5D and also a Siggy 20mm f1.8 and whilst this Vivitar is nowhere near the quality of those lenses it at least gives a wide angle taste on my A7.

PS.
I haven't applied any distortion corrections to these.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing your pictures :D and thoughts on the A9 but it's a camera I'll probably never own.

I was looking forward to a trip to Thailand next year as my Mrs has to go back for a month to cover for her sister who needs to go to Singapore to renew a visa but Mrs has decided she wants to go by herself to save money and also as she was worried by the effect the heat and humidity had on me last time :( Oh well... I'll get to Thailand again another time.

Last edited:
More cold day cheap 19mm fun :D

Boaty McBigface. My Mrs with the shopping in the background :D

View attachment 114583

Our feet :D

View attachment 114584

My Mrs made me delete a big face shot of her :D

I'm quite pleased with this lens. It's the widest lens I've had for the A7 the previous ones being 24mm. I used to have a Siggy 12-24mm for my 5D and also a Siggy 20mm f1.8 and whilst this Vivitar is nowhere near the quality of those lenses it at least gives a wide angle taste on my A7.

PS.
I haven't applied any distortion corrections to these.

I tried two Vivitar 19/3.8 lenses back in the day, on a 5D. One was made by Komine and one by Kiron and they were both pretty poor! Terrible edges and corners, although not too bad in the centre. Good fun though!

One really good wide option is the Tamron SP 17/3.5 :) The Samsung 14/2.8 is even better, but crazy wide.

I'll be the first to accept that the Vivitar isn't the best lens and maybe the 17mm f3.5 is better but it's also more expensive and I was going for a bargain basement option.

Here's some more test shots :D

Whole picture.

DSC08602-1.jpg

Bottom left corner at 100%

DSC08602-BL.jpg

Left centre at 100%

DSC08602-CL.jpg

Whole picture.

DSC08624-1.jpg

Right side centre at 100%

DSC08624-2.jpg

Last edited: