1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    More...

Whole picture.

DSC08611-1.jpg

Bottom left at 100%

DSC08611-BL.jpg

Bottom right at 100%

DSC08611-BR.jpg

And my conclusion is...

It's not up to modern standards and I'm sure that there are better old lenses but all in all it's better than I thought it would be for a cheap old wide lens :D

I mostly shot wide open, f5.6 and f8 and usually picked something as my point of focus rather than setting up and going for front to back and side to side hyperfocal type shots. Wide open and / or focused close things can get a bit funky but by f8 if you want the best results this lens can give it's getting there and possibly as good as it's going to get at f11.

I wouldn't say it's terrible though, with the caveat that at its widest aperture or two and when going for shallow DoF it's not up to modern standards or those of upmarket legacy lenses. It's certainly sharp enough in the central area and if you stop down to f8-11 and go for it decent enough performance throughout the frame is possible. IMO :D

PS.
    I think that some of the shortcomings are going to be hidden when looking at whole pictures, even at 100% I don't think this is too bad.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 4:05 PM
  2. photosample

photosample

Name:
    Kalin
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It will be nice to share some info and review of this A9.
    Also if someone else have it around.

With all this A7R III coming and the A9 my fingers start getting itchy.

I know I should not get one. At least not in the next few months. Will try to resist.
    the biggest problem so far with my A7R II is the big files - 42MP - sometimes the lightroom lots of lag... My PC is quite fast and I tried every possible option to speed it up..

Anyway, and for a little color, here is a photo from me.
    A few days ago, Almost midnight - the small streets of Earl's Court:
    Sony A7R II + Sigma MC-11 + Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II @70mm

[​IMG]- Light in the night - by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

3. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I've been happy with the resolution of every digital camera I've had starting with the 3mp Fuji Finepix S602 :D and these days I'm able to crop very heavily from my 24mp A7 and 16mp Panasonic MFT cameras for on screen use at least. I suppose these days the only way is up mp count wise. Maybe computer hardware and software are lagging a bit at the mo and maybe in a few short years something like 80mp may be seen as perfectly manageable and really rather ordinary.

The camera I'm most likely to go for will be the low end A7x model and I hope they keep the pixel count down for that.

photosample likes this.
  4. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni

Edit My Images:
    No
    There's nothing wrong with the available computer hardware/software it's just that most people are quite willing to go out and splash thousands on a high res. camera and then expect their old low spec pc to cope with the larger files.

Riz_Guru and addicknchips like this.
  5. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Maybe everyone noticing that 42mp files are pushing their computer hard is using an old low spec pc and if that's the case you're right but I do think you're probably taking a harsh view. Having said that I'm using an old pc but it does seem to cope ok with 24mp files.

Anyway, computers are boring and software is doubly boring. IMO.

6. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    A7 and Vivitar 19mm.

Me and Mrs Woof Woof.

DSC08595.JPG

DSC08607.JPG

The tide coming in :D

DSC08596.JPG

Bird.

DSC08616.JPG

Negative space :D

DSC08594.JPG

7. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni

Edit My Images:
    No
    Why does that not surprise me! lol

SsSsSsSsSnake and Riz_Guru like this.
  8. Riz_Guru

Riz_Guru

Name:
    Riz
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Folks, you have to remember that the standalone Lightroom application is using very old (slow) code so its not always the machine spec at fault.
    If you try editing files on the iOS application (iPad Pro) is very smooth indeed as it uses better code.
    I found working with the Sony A7RII files a real pain but this was on my 2010 MacBook Pro.

9. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    My PC copes because it's stripped to the minimum applications when I run CS5. Maybe some people with speed issues are...
    - dealing with larger files and
    - have multiple applications running.

Anyway, PC's are boring and I'd rather talk about how much better Fuji's are and how expensive and naff Sony lenses are than this.

Riz_Guru likes this.
  10. addicknchips

addicknchips

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Lol

Riz_Guru likes this.
  11. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Riz, how is Editing A7rii files on the iPad Pro? I've been using LR Mobile on my Android Tab and to be honest its a bit rubbish, I suspect the Apple version is better optimised!

12. Riz_Guru

Riz_Guru

Name:
    Riz
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I haven't personally used it but been doing extensive research with plenty of YouTube watching to say that the iOS (iPad Pro) version of LR edits the 42mp files way snappier than the desktop version.
    Afinity Photo is also a game changer on the iPad Pro so considering this for the future.
    I have a Sony A9 now so its easier for me to work with 24mp files as apposed to 42mp

I have been holding off buying anything big at the moment but I could end up going down the route of using a iPad Pro for my entire workflow, part of the reason is Apple has made file management slightly better than before.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 9:07 AM
  13. addicknchips

addicknchips

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    For me it runs really well - but it’s not the full version and my 2015 MacBook Pro never has an issue.
    I don’t know the tech stuff but guess iOS version will run better than android.

Riz_Guru likes this.
  14. Durbs

Durbs

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Not sure if it's related, but I have a (work) MS Surface, and editing my R2 RAW files on it was a painful experience as soon you entered the Develop module. A couple of updates back however an update made it much better; essentially only using Smart previews unless you zoom to 100% or more. But the Surface (and so presumably iPad pro?) has a dedicated 'Touch' version which desktop LR doesn't.

My desktop PC is pretty well spec'd but by no means a beast and handles LR pretty well, especially with the recent updates. I run two monitors too which slows things down a little

15. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    So..... Friday for the A7riii then?

Riz_Guru likes this.
  16. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    DO IT

Riz_Guru likes this.
  17. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Haha, I hadn't cancelled my Pre-Order, WEX just emailed to say Friday... must resist!

Riz_Guru and addicknchips like this.
  18. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    ... you can' resist.... avoid the pondering and accept your fate.

chrism_scotland and Riz_Guru like this.
  19. Riz_Guru

Riz_Guru

Name:
    Riz
    Edit My Images:
    No
  20. Riz_Guru

Riz_Guru

Name:
    Riz
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Nice..... :D

21. addicknchips

addicknchips

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  22. Riz_Guru

Riz_Guru

Name:
    Riz
    Edit My Images:
    No
    It's a great little camera, I am in control of my Sony GAS for the time being so going to pass. :D
    However I am lusting after the Volkswagen Golf R400 if they every being it into production :eek: lol

chrism_scotland likes this.
  23. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    It' a very interesting camera when you consider the new sigma 16 and 30mm DN.

photosample and Riz_Guru like this.
  24. CharleyBird

CharleyBird

Name:
    Andy
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Gawd, I've got a Golf-estate diesel,150bhp auto, had a Golf 140bhp manual diesel. I can't imagine driving anything much faster on UK roads however exciting the idea of driving a 400bhp petrol Golf is. I mean, I got an 82mph speeding ticket in a 1.2 VW Polo diesel three years ago...

Riz_Guru likes this.
  25. Riz_Guru

Riz_Guru

Name:
    Riz
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I know what your saying but sometimes I like the notion of having the power and knowing its there.... kind of like having a Sony A9 with 20fps!!! lmao :D

26. ukaskew

ukaskew

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    On the Lightroom speed issue, I'm running fully updated 'Classic' CC LR and I'm amazed at how well a7Rii RAWs are handled by it. Got around 1500 images loaded in Develop at the moment from a recent wedding and I'm sailing through them.

I'm using the Surface Pro 4, i7, 8GB RAM and it was on deaths door with Fuji X-T2 files, absolutely painful. I was very nervous about it handling a7Rii files but it's so much better, maybe I lucked out with Adobe updating it around the same time that I bought the Sony, but opening my old Fuji files still feels sluggish (even the 16mp X-T1 files).

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 1:53 PM
    Riz_Guru likes this.
  27. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    Riz_Guru likes this.
  28. Riz_Guru

Riz_Guru

Name:
    Riz
    Edit My Images:
    No
    as a door stop.... :D

29. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni

Edit My Images:
    No
    Loving my 5D MkIV! lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

twist likes this.
  30. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    5 what?

DSLR's are soooo last century darling.

31. niko

niko

Name:
    nik
    Edit My Images:
    No
    no problems editing the a7r11 files on my desktop pc. both LR and PS run fine. spec -32gig ram, on mobo ssd and sata ssd as holding drive . cpu I7 @4.2 (with 5 boost speed). I think spec does make a difference. 1/1 previews with no probs at all

32. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    So your passing Gas :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:

33. ChrisHeathcote

ChrisHeathcote

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The iPad Pro handles Lightroom Mobile and A7rii files without any issue, in fact I do 90% of my editing on the iPad now, it is much quicker than on my 2015 iMac 27”. I only result to the Mac for cloning etc (although this can also be done on LRM). My Mac is running “Classic” CC. Affinity Photo has also been mentioned however I have only just downloaded it so I’m not had chance to play with it much yet. The Northrop’s have done a video of all 3 elements (iPad, LRM & Affinity) and rates them very highly. With regards to the MS Surface, I should imagine it is slower because it is using the full desktop version of LR, this used to be an advantage however LRM has come so far it is virtually a full version of LR without a couple of features (which are available in Affinity).

I would image the Surface would run better with the new Lightroom CC (cloud based)

chrism_scotland likes this.
  34. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
  35. Riz_Guru

Riz_Guru

Name:
    Riz
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Sell all your MFT kit and get a A6500, that way you can share lenses between it and your A7. :D

photosample likes this.
  36. Snapsh0t

Snapsh0t

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    :agree:

Riz_Guru likes this.
  37. Tom Green

Tom Green

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thats annoyingly tempting but I can't afford my X-T2 ANNNDDD an a6500:D:D

Riz_Guru likes this.
  38. Wissel

Wissel

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I hate this thread sometimes :)

I bought a new A6000 a month or so ago with a few primes and very happy with it (new project next year where need small and light everything). But £869 seems a very good price....

The new Sigma is really tempting as well. Just can't decide between it and Samyang 21mm f1.4.

39. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Unfortunately the lens line up just isn't there. Amongst other things I'd want a compact 24mm f1.8 and there isn't one plus the body and lens package would get bigger to the point I might as well use my A7.

I'll do the sums and have another think but I expect that just like every time I've looked at the A6xxx series I'll end up keeping MFT.

Riz_Guru likes this.
  40. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    What new Sigma?