1. razor777

razor777

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I was looking for something with slightly further range but will definitely look at it now I've put off by the power zoom.

Definitely! Just noticed the cracking shot by ShrubMonkey so deffo worth a look.

Tom Green and ShrubMonkey like this.
  2. ShrubMonkey

ShrubMonkey

Name:
    Julian
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Many thanks

Looking through my images, I have taken a fair number with the 24-240mm. Heres a few more taken with the 24-240 on a combination of A7 and A7r

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  3. razor777

razor777

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

Thanks! IQ looks great considering the range. Definitely something to put on the list.

ShrubMonkey likes this.
  4. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
  5. Riz_Guru

Riz_Guru

Name:
    Riz
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I haven't heard of many people complaining about the Sony A9's AF abilities to begin with, its good that Sony is tweaking it to make it even better though :D
    However it would have been nice if Sony had also added following functions which were included in the Sony A7R III:-

- Anti-Flicker
    - Picture Profiles incl S-Log2/3 and HDR-Log etc
    - Photo rating & Burst Photo Grouping
    - Better SD Card Management including number of shots and buffer clearing indicators for both SD card slots as apposed to the one like the Sony A9.
    - Update Touch Screen functions

:)

6. addicknchips

addicknchips

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Is the a7riii menu touch enabled?

How are you getting on with that mega lens suite? What’s your favourite/most used glass from the lot?

Riz_Guru likes this.
  7. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
    Yea it is

Riz_Guru likes this.
  8. Riz_Guru

Riz_Guru

Name:
    Riz
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Its a thought choice as they are all different for different purposes...
    The 16-35mm f2.8 GM is stellar edge to edge, I used it recently for some property photography and it performs as expected. It is also not the large/heavy considering its a GM lens.
    The 85mm f1.4 GM is the choice for portraits along size the newly acquired Zeiss 55mm f1.8, both are excellent.
    The 24-70mm f2.8 GM is a real work horse of a lens, can easily use it for most applications and probably a good single lens solution.
    I haven't used the 70-200mm f2.8 GM + 1.4x TC as much as the others, but again its stellar however the sharpness isnt much different from the f4 G version.

If I had to pick just one lens it would be a hard choice, probably end up being between the Zeiss 55mm f1,8 or the 24-70mm f2.8 GM

Favorite lens is probably the Zeiss 55mm f1.8, most used, probably the same if I look at my Lightroom history, however that is including my previous Sony ownership days, the 24-70mm f2.8 GM is probably my most used lens now on my new kit.
    I will check though :D

:D

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    photosample likes this.
  9. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
    The 24-70 is a sensational lens. Too many good lenses for Sony below 400mm.

Can't wait to see what there 400mm prime is like

Riz_Guru likes this.
  10. Riz_Guru

Riz_Guru

Name:
    Riz
    Edit My Images:
    No
    The FE 400mm f2.8 is going to be amazing, I would imagine that Sony may even introduce something groundbreaking in this lens but we'll have to wait and see.
    My guess is it'll cost around £12k but expect special bundle deals when bought with a Sony A9...... who know's, Sony may even through in a free A9 when you buy the FE 400mm f2.8 :D lol

photosample and jonneymendoza like this.
  11. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
    Gives us time to save up

Riz_Guru likes this.
  12. Riz_Guru

Riz_Guru

Name:
    Riz
    Edit My Images:
    No
    "us" leave me outta this?..... the search for a new house is well and truly put a hold on my Sony GAS! :eek:
    Some of the house prices are eye watering and there was me thinking G Master prices were high! lol

13. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
    Stop looking at Gmaster branded properties and go for the cheap Chinese samyang lookalike ones

Riz_Guru likes this.
  14. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    There's a gorgeous Brenizer method shot at Luminous Landscape and it's in 4:3 portrait., shot in what looks like 3:2 landscape and cropped to 4:3 portrait.

I think I prefer 4:3 rather than 3:2 for portrait orientation.

Anyone else?

I think I'll try a few Brenizer method shots, I've only done a few this being the one I'm happiest with, taken with an 85mm... shot in landscape and cropped to portrait.

Pook-Stitch-2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  15. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
    Thought you had quoted me on something

16. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I did but also wanted to post about the stitched shot and 4:3 v 3:2 and in faffing about the quote got lost.

It doesn't matter, it wasn't anything intelligent or interesting. Sorry to disturb you :D

17. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
    Can't escape it. I got notification on hehe

18. Tom Green

Tom Green

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Has anyone ever used the Minolta 70-210mm 'Beercan' on the A7 series? How was it if so?

Considering one as a cheap MF telephoto landscape option.

19. F/1.4

F/1.4

Name:
    Anthony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    So I've finally made the change after a long wait. Shooting fast primes on dslr to me is a pain in arse having to tune and check for AF back/front focus.

Bought the A7R3, A7R2 and A6500 with 4 shiny new primes

Also got a Crane 2 and audio gear (gonna finally get stuck into video)

I can honestly say I don't miss DSLRs and I'm relieved to get rid of them

Really excited about this changeover.

magicaxeman and woof woof like this.
  20. Barrysprout

Barrysprout

Name:
    Colin
    Edit My Images:
    No
    If only I'd had the foresight to order a USB charger from Amazon with the ex-pro battery I ordered! Battery arrived this morning but the A7 didn't turn up until tonight. Battery slowly charging in camera now :(
    Managed to get a few minutes play from the ex-pro battery as it had a little charge in it but not enough for a proper test. Nearly s**t myself with the noise from the shutter!

There is a "lightning Deal" on Amazon at the moment if anyone is looking for a cheap small flash for fill
    Neewer NW320 at £42.49

addicknchips likes this.
  21. addicknchips

addicknchips

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Oh yes you have to spend the big bucks to get a battery charger included.

Barrysprout likes this.
  22. Tom Green

Tom Green

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    That's a couple of quid you've spent £££££££££

23. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
    Damm you bought all that gear for the price of an a9!

F/1.4 and Riz_Guru like this.
  24. F/1.4

F/1.4

Name:
    Anthony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    True! Offset mainly with selling the other gear.

I genuinely won't miss it. It was a toss up between having a A9/A7RIII combo and having one less lens and the A6500. Decided to add the extra lens and A6500 instead of the A9 and just went with the A7R2 as second camera

The eye AF on them for portraiture is absolutely amazing. Also having every AF point as accurate as the centre ones is a godsend.

Tom Green likes this.
  25. F/1.4

F/1.4

Name:
    Anthony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Lol I could have bought a few A9s and then some lol

jonneymendoza likes this.
  26. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
    Is that a gimble you bought as well? Is it heavy to carry? Looking for a light weight gimble for travel video footage

27. F/1.4

F/1.4

Name:
    Anthony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I wouldn't say lightweight. It can handle 7lbs odd of gear. It can be operated single hand though I got the 2 hand grip.

It was the Zhiyun Crane 2.

jonneymendoza likes this.
  28. stevelmx5

stevelmx5

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I wouldn’t recommend an external USB charger because it won’t charge any faster than in-camera (usb is 5v and 2amp max regardless of the unit). I use an external mains ExPro dual charger and have no issues.

Barrysprout likes this.
  29. Barrysprout

Barrysprout

Name:
    Colin
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Not too fussed about the time it takes to charge, and to be honest once the initial charging is done it won't be a major inconvenience to keep them topped up. It's just an annoying wait on day 1 :D For the past few years I've probably bought 15 camera bodies but every one used the same batteries so I'm not used to this.

In saying that the ExPro dual charger is a good price so I'll maybe get one anyway. (y)

stevelmx5 likes this.
  30. stevelmx5

stevelmx5

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    No
    No problem, just thought I’d give you a heads up. The only other advice is to let your batteries run flat before recharging them rather than keep topping them up. You’ll get a longer life out of them then (sorry if you already know this!)

Barrysprout likes this.
  31. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
    Ahh ok cool
    May look into it or a lighter setup. I just need it to hold steady at worse a A9 with a 85mm batis lens as the heaviest setup.

32. Barrysprout

Barrysprout

Name:
    Colin
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Battery charged, stuff on coffee table shots as promised :D

First up, an old Helios 44M

DSC00051.jpg

Next a couple with an Oshiro 60mm Macro that I forgot I owned until yesterday.

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00042.jpg

And one from the kit lens to make sure it was working.

DSC00024.jpg

And yes I know the guitar looks ver dusty but you should have seen it before I cleaned it!

razor777, Riz_Guru and photosample like this.
  33. niko

niko

Name:
    nik
    Edit My Images:
    No
    i understand no longer true with lithium cells, haven't read the whole post but I guess the bats in question are.

34. addicknchips

addicknchips

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    how you finding it?

35. Snapsh0t

Snapsh0t

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Indeed. Very out-dated advice from the days of Ni-Cad cells and possibly the opposite of what Lithium cells require.

36. stevelmx5

stevelmx5

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I hadn't read anything new, hence my usage cycle but like you say it appears to be old advice. Cheers

37. stevelmx5

stevelmx5

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Thanks, I stand corrected

Just to clarify further, I have 4 numbered batteries and generally work through them in order. This helps by me knowing which are flat and which are charged so when I'm shooting an event/wedding etc I can just grab the next one in order and know they're charged.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    addicknchips likes this.
  38. Barrysprout

Barrysprout

Name:
    Colin
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Initial gut reaction - maybe I've made a mistake and should have stuck with Fuji. But that's not surprising after years of Fuji use. Menus are all very alien (Zebra?:D) as are the control placements, so it's going to take a bit of time to get used to. Hopefully I can get out with it over the next few days.

39. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Give the zebras a go and see if they're any use. I think video people find them useful but I find them distracting so I've turned them off.

On the subject of menus... Some manufacturers get criticised but personally I just don't see the problem and I do wonder why people see this as a big issue but maybe that's because I only use the menu to format the card and set the clock. Everything else is changed via a dial or button :D

40. addicknchips

addicknchips

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It has its quirks.

Barrysprout likes this.