The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I was looking for something with slightly further range but will definitely look at it now I've put off by the power zoom.

Definitely! Just noticed the cracking shot by ShrubMonkey so deffo worth a look.

Many thanks

Looking through my images, I have taken a fair number with the 24-240mm. Heres a few more taken with the 24-240 on a combination of A7 and A7r

35633945654_375a1d8ecd_c.jpg

36098917552_8a7aba59da_c.jpg

35011888003_abb4e1e83a_c.jpg

33896695472_21c1847c36_c.jpg

Last edited:

I haven't heard of many people complaining about the Sony A9's AF abilities to begin with, its good that Sony is tweaking it to make it even better though :D
However it would have been nice if Sony had also added following functions which were included in the Sony A7R III:-

- Anti-Flicker
- Picture Profiles incl S-Log2/3 and HDR-Log etc
- Photo rating & Burst Photo Grouping
- Better SD Card Management including number of shots and buffer clearing indicators for both SD card slots as apposed to the one like the Sony A9.
- Update Touch Screen functions

:)

I haven't heard of many people complaining about the Sony A9's AF abilities to begin with, its good that Sony is tweaking it to make it even better though :D
However it would have been nice if Sony had also added following functions which were included in the Sony A7R III:-

- Anti-Flicker
- Picture Profiles incl S-Log2/3 and HDR-Log etc
- Photo rating & Burst Photo Grouping
- Better SD Card Management including number of shots and buffer clearing indicators for both SD card slots as apposed to the one like the Sony A9.
- Update Touch Screen functions

:)

Is the a7riii menu touch enabled?

How are you getting on with that mega lens suite? What’s your favourite/most used glass from the lot?

Is the a7riii menu touch enabled?

How are you getting on with that mega lens suite? What’s your favourite/most used glass from the lot?

Its a thought choice as they are all different for different purposes...
The 16-35mm f2.8 GM is stellar edge to edge, I used it recently for some property photography and it performs as expected. It is also not the large/heavy considering its a GM lens.
The 85mm f1.4 GM is the choice for portraits along size the newly acquired Zeiss 55mm f1.8, both are excellent.
The 24-70mm f2.8 GM is a real work horse of a lens, can easily use it for most applications and probably a good single lens solution.
I haven't used the 70-200mm f2.8 GM + 1.4x TC as much as the others, but again its stellar however the sharpness isnt much different from the f4 G version.

If I had to pick just one lens it would be a hard choice, probably end up being between the Zeiss 55mm f1,8 or the 24-70mm f2.8 GM

Favorite lens is probably the Zeiss 55mm f1.8, most used, probably the same if I look at my Lightroom history, however that is including my previous Sony ownership days, the 24-70mm f2.8 GM is probably my most used lens now on my new kit.
I will check though :D

:D

Last edited:
Its a thought choice as they are all different for different purposes...
The 16-35mm f2.8 GM is stellar edge to edge, I used it recently for some property photography and it performs as expected. It is also not the large/heavy considering its a GM lens.
The 85mm f1.4 GM is the choice for portraits along size the newly acquired Zeiss 55mm f1.8, both are excellent.
The 24-70mm f2.8 GM is a real work horse of a lens, can easily use it for most applications and probably a good single lens solution.
I haven't used the 70-200mm f2.8 GM + 1.4x TC as much as the others, but again its stellar however the sharpness isnt much different from the f4 G version.

If I had to pick just one lens it would be a hard choice, probably end up being between the Zeiss 55mm f1,8 or the 24-70mm f2.8 GM

:D
The 24-70 is a sensational lens. Too many good lenses for Sony below 400mm.

Can't wait to see what there 400mm prime is like

The 24-70 is a sensational lens. Too many good lenses for Sony below 400mm.

Can't wait to see what there 400mm prime is like

The FE 400mm f2.8 is going to be amazing, I would imagine that Sony may even introduce something groundbreaking in this lens but we'll have to wait and see.
My guess is it'll cost around £12k but expect special bundle deals when bought with a Sony A9...... who know's, Sony may even through in a free A9 when you buy the FE 400mm f2.8 :D lol

The FE 400mm f2.8 is going to be amazing, I would imagine that Sony may even introduce something groundbreaking in this lens but we'll have to wait and see.
My guess is it'll cost around £12k but expect special bundle deals when bought with a Sony A9...... who know's, Sony may even through in a free A9 when you buy the FE 400mm f2.8 :D lol
Gives us time to save up

Gives us time to save up
"us" leave me outta this?..... the search for a new house is well and truly put a hold on my Sony GAS! :eek:
Some of the house prices are eye watering and there was me thinking G Master prices were high! lol

"us" leave me outta this?..... the search for a new house is well and truly put a hold on my Sony GAS! :eek:
Some of the house prices are eye watering and there was me thinking G Master prices were high! lol
Stop looking at Gmaster branded properties and go for the cheap Chinese samyang lookalike ones

There's a gorgeous Brenizer method shot at Luminous Landscape and it's in 4:3 portrait., shot in what looks like 3:2 landscape and cropped to 4:3 portrait.

I think I prefer 4:3 rather than 3:2 for portrait orientation.

Anyone else?

I think I'll try a few Brenizer method shots, I've only done a few this being the one I'm happiest with, taken with an 85mm... shot in landscape and cropped to portrait.

Pook-Stitch-2.jpg

Last edited:
There's a gorgeous Brenizer method shot at Luminous Landscape and it's in 4:3 portrait., shot in what looks like 3:2 landscape and cropped to 4:3 portrait.

I think I prefer 4:3 rather than 3:2 for portrait orientation.

Anyone else?

I think I'll try a few Brenizer method shots, I've only done a few this being the one I'm happiest with, taken with an 85mm... shot in landscape and cropped to portrait.

View attachment 118133
Thought you had quoted me on something

Thought you had quoted me on something

I did but also wanted to post about the stitched shot and 4:3 v 3:2 and in faffing about the quote got lost.

It doesn't matter, it wasn't anything intelligent or interesting. Sorry to disturb you :D

So I've finally made the change after a long wait. Shooting fast primes on dslr to me is a pain in arse having to tune and check for AF back/front focus.

Bought the A7R3, A7R2 and A6500 with 4 shiny new primes

Also got a Crane 2 and audio gear (gonna finally get stuck into video)

I can honestly say I don't miss DSLRs and I'm relieved to get rid of them

Really excited about this changeover.

If only I'd had the foresight to order a USB charger from Amazon with the ex-pro battery I ordered! Battery arrived this morning but the A7 didn't turn up until tonight. Battery slowly charging in camera now :(
Managed to get a few minutes play from the ex-pro battery as it had a little charge in it but not enough for a proper test. Nearly s**t myself with the noise from the shutter!

There is a "lightning Deal" on Amazon at the moment if anyone is looking for a cheap small flash for fill
Neewer NW320 at £42.49

If only I'd had the foresight to order a USB charger from Amazon with the ex-pro battery I ordered! Battery arrived this morning but the A7 didn't turn up until tonight. Battery slowly charging in camera now :(
Managed to get a few minutes play from the ex-pro battery as it had a little charge in it but not enough for a proper test. Nearly s**t myself with the noise from the shutter!

There is a "lightning Deal" on Amazon at the moment if anyone is looking for a cheap small flash for fill
Neewer NW320 at £42.49

Oh yes you have to spend the big bucks to get a battery charger included.

So I've finally made the change after a long wait. Shooting fast primes on dslr to me is a pain in arse having to tune and check for AF back/front focus.

That's a couple of quid you've spent £££££££££

Damm you bought all that gear for the price of an a9!

That's a couple of quid you've spent £££££££££

True! Offset mainly with selling the other gear.

I genuinely won't miss it. It was a toss up between having a A9/A7RIII combo and having one less lens and the A6500. Decided to add the extra lens and A6500 instead of the A9 and just went with the A7R2 as second camera

The eye AF on them for portraiture is absolutely amazing. Also having every AF point as accurate as the centre ones is a godsend.

Is that a gimble you bought as well? Is it heavy to carry? Looking for a light weight gimble for travel video footage

I wouldn't say lightweight. It can handle 7lbs odd of gear. It can be operated single hand though I got the 2 hand grip.

It was the Zhiyun Crane 2.

Neewer NW320 at £42.49

I wouldn’t recommend an external USB charger because it won’t charge any faster than in-camera (usb is 5v and 2amp max regardless of the unit). I use an external mains ExPro dual charger and have no issues.

Not too fussed about the time it takes to charge, and to be honest once the initial charging is done it won't be a major inconvenience to keep them topped up. It's just an annoying wait on day 1 :D For the past few years I've probably bought 15 camera bodies but every one used the same batteries so I'm not used to this.

In saying that the ExPro dual charger is a good price so I'll maybe get one anyway. (y)

Not too fussed about the time it takes to charge, and to be honest once the initial charging is done it won't be a major inconvenience to keep them topped up. It's just an annoying wait on day 1 :D For the past few years I've probably bought 15 camera bodies but every one used the same batteries so I'm not used to this.

In saying that the ExPro dual charger is a good price so I'll maybe get one anyway. (y)

No problem, just thought I’d give you a heads up. The only other advice is to let your batteries run flat before recharging them rather than keep topping them up. You’ll get a longer life out of them then (sorry if you already know this!)

I wouldn't say lightweight. It can handle 7lbs odd of gear. It can be operated single hand though I got the 2 hand grip.

It was the Zhiyun Crane 2.
Ahh ok cool
May look into it or a lighter setup. I just need it to hold steady at worse a A9 with a 85mm batis lens as the heaviest setup.

Battery charged, stuff on coffee table shots as promised :D

First up, an old Helios 44M

DSC00051.jpg

Next a couple with an Oshiro 60mm Macro that I forgot I owned until yesterday.

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00042.jpg

And one from the kit lens to make sure it was working.

DSC00024.jpg

And yes I know the guitar looks ver dusty but you should have seen it before I cleaned it!

No problem, just thought I’d give you a heads up. The only other advice is to let your batteries run flat before recharging them rather than keep topping them up. You’ll get a longer life out of them then (sorry if you already know this!)
i understand no longer true with lithium cells, haven't read the whole post but I guess the bats in question are.

i understand no longer true with lithium cells, haven't read the whole post but I guess the bats in question are.
Indeed. Very out-dated advice from the days of Ni-Cad cells and possibly the opposite of what Lithium cells require.

Indeed. Very out-dated advice from the days of Ni-Cad cells and possibly the opposite of what Lithium cells require.

Thanks, I stand corrected

Just to clarify further, I have 4 numbered batteries and generally work through them in order. This helps by me knowing which are flat and which are charged so when I'm shooting an event/wedding etc I can just grab the next one in order and know they're charged.

Last edited:
how you finding it?

Initial gut reaction - maybe I've made a mistake and should have stuck with Fuji. But that's not surprising after years of Fuji use. Menus are all very alien (Zebra?:D) as are the control placements, so it's going to take a bit of time to get used to. Hopefully I can get out with it over the next few days.

Give the zebras a go and see if they're any use. I think video people find them useful but I find them distracting so I've turned them off.

On the subject of menus... Some manufacturers get criticised but personally I just don't see the problem and I do wonder why people see this as a big issue but maybe that's because I only use the menu to format the card and set the clock. Everything else is changed via a dial or button :D

Initial gut reaction - maybe I've made a mistake and should have stuck with Fuji. But that's not surprising after years of Fuji use. Menus are all very alien (Zebra?:D) as are the control placements, so it's going to take a bit of time to get used to. Hopefully I can get out with it over the next few days.

It has its quirks.

Back