The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Got my new A9 delivered. Looking for a messenger style bag to carry in and a few prime lenses during weddings. Mainly 28 55 and 85 primes to keep it as light as possible. Any suggestions? Also a small Godox flash too.

If your not using a A9 battery grip, the Think Tank shoulder bags work well.
I have various bags including a couple of backpacks :D

Got my new A9 delivered. Looking for a messenger style bag to carry in and a few prime lenses during weddings. Mainly 28 55 and 85 primes to keep it as light as possible. Any suggestions? Also a small Godox flash too.

I had a couple of Tamrac that lasted years. Now I'd suggest ONA bags are worth a look. The Union Street in walnut leather should be large enough and offers good protection with style that doesn't scream "look at all the camera kit I'm carrying". The Brixton in truffle leather is my favourite; as an amateur I usually carry 3 primes max, but it may be too small for you.

Update on the Canon USM II 24-70mm and the Metabones V.

Autofocus is great but in low light situations in hunts a bit and the AF is a bit slower than I would have liked. It definitely works a lot better in green mode but it works in both Green/Advanced.

My take home advise would be to get yourself the metabones v if you have some/lots Canon kit before coming over to Sony for a more transitioned phase to support a more affordable switch over, however if like me you were wowed by the "Sharper" factor of the Canon over the Sony then I would say the AF speed and hunting is too much of a deal breaker and go straight for the Sony.

So.. I've just ordered a 24-70mm Sony and will be selling up the Canon and (maybe) the Metabones.

I wondered if anyone has tried or used Sony teleconverters with EF fit lenses by fitting the adaptor between the converter and the lens. The reason I ask is that I have been looking at getting a 1.4x for my FE100-400 but I also have SIgma EF TC’s which I use with my last remaining EF lens (between the lens and adaptor). As I barely use the EF lens I thought about selling the TC’s to fund the Sony 1.4, but still have the functionality to add it to the Sigma 120-300 Sport if required. I know I would lose AF, but I lose that anyway as the MC11 does support TC’s

What’s Green Mode? Is that something on the adaptor itself?

Hi Steve - yes there are two modes on the Metabones, Green & Advanced.

As I understand it - the most fundamental difference between the two is that Green = Phase Detect and Advanced = Contrast Detect.

You'd think, why would you ever use Advanced mode? The reason for this is that apparently Eye-AF doesn't work in Green mode but I can only assume this has changed since the advent of the A7R III as Eye-AF in Green mode works fine.

I wondered if anyone has tried or used Sony teleconverters with EF fit lenses by fitting the adaptor between the converter and the lens. The reason I ask is that I have been looking at getting a 1.4x for my FE100-400 but I also have SIgma EF TC’s which I use with my last remaining EF lens (between the lens and adaptor). As I barely use the EF lens I thought about selling the TC’s to fund the Sony 1.4, but still have the functionality to add it to the Sigma 120-300 Sport if required. I know I would lose AF, but I lose that anyway as the MC11 does support TC’s
ive got the 1.4x TC and works amazing on the 100-400 and a9

Have to admit the 16-35 GM is a cracking lens, always tended just to get the 21mm Loxia at the wide end but felt that having the extra 5mm range would be handy.
I can’t believe how light this lens is too, especially compared to a f2.8 UWA in Nikon/Canon mount, I was planning on this being my main zoo and suppplanting with a couple of primes but I might just pickup another 24-105 to go with it and get a couple of legacy MF primes (Canon FD maybe).

I managed to get hold of a Voigtlander 40mm Nokton and its a nice lens but I’m not sure if the focal length is right for me, I tend to be more of a 35mm man!

The rumor site reports that the previously delayed Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 will ship!!!

Read all about it...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/cos...35mm-f-1-4-fe-lens-february-15/#disqus_thread

I'll wait for the reviews and then probably get one.

I managed to get hold of a Voigtlander 40mm Nokton and its a nice lens but I’m not sure if the focal length is right for me, I tend to be more of a 35mm man!

I've been very impressed with the 40mm f1.2. I read some reviews before I got it which reported issues that I just haven't seen. I took a leap of faith buying it despite some dubious reviews and I'm glad I did as I think it's excellent and if the 35mm f1.4 gets anywhere near that quality I'll be very very happy! :D

PS.
I have a few FD's :D but I usually reach for the Minoltas.

I nearly bought an M mount one off evil bay so I'm glad I resisted, I'll be amazed if the new one doesn't perform better on a Sony than the M mount one. If it is good stocks may sell out a bit quick :(

My favorite 35mm at the moment is my Rokkor f2.8 MC. It's beautifully made and just lovely but f2.8 and the adapter adds bulk.

Last edited:
I nearly bought an M mount one off evil bay so I'm glad I resisted, I'll be amazed if the new one doesn't perform better on a Sony than the M mount one. If it is good stocks may sell out a bit quick :(

My favorite 35mm at the moment is my Rokkor f2.8 MC. It's beautifully made and just lovely but f2.8 and the adapter adds bulk.

I think I’ve decided to keep the 40mm, seems a cracker and I’m on the waitlist for the 35mm when its available so may get it and decide which one to keep long term - I do love the Loxia 35 I’ve had a few copies but this is nicer to use in my opinion, its also less hassle to get it off!

I’m working with a narrow line-up just now 16-35 GM at the wide end, the 40mm and have a 65mm f2 coming today but half contemplating swapping that for an 85mm to give more “space” to the line-up.

I may also consider looking at other non-native MF glass, always been attracted to the Canon FD stuff since I used it years back on a M4/3 body, I know that a 42mp Full Frame body is a different prospect but there seems to be plenty of folk having a great deal of success with them, of particular interest to me I think would be the 24mm f2.8 (Had one before and it was great), the 35mm f2 SSC (meant to be a cracker and at less than 20% of the cost of a Loxia it could be a goer, also possibly something in the 100mm-150mm region, again possibly Canon FD.

Possibly add another cheapish AF lens, off to Amsterdam in a week or so so something like the Samyang 35mm or Zeiss f2.8 would possibly be handy to have in the bag!

Think Tan Retrospective 7. Holds my D750 a few primes, 2 flashes and could probably squeeze a second body in!

Think Tan Retrospective 7. Holds my D750 a few primes, 2 flashes and could probably squeeze a second body in!
I'm actually looking at that one right now! Lol. I don't want something too big or too small. This one seems like it might be a great choice.

I currently use a lowepro stealth reporter and just find it to be far too big for mirrorless cameras.

I'm actually looking at that one right now! Lol. I don't want something too big or too small. This one seems like it might be a great choice.

I currently use a lowepro stealth reporter and just find it to be far too big for mirrorless cameras.

The retro 7 is quite small but reasonably wide which helps fit more stuff in it. I wish I’d bought one years ago!

I use the Retro 6 for an A7R2 with a 24-105 attached. There is just enough room then for my 35mm and a 55mm lenses. It is a deeper bag than my other ones so tend to carry a Gittos air rocket sat on top. My A7R2 sensor seems be a dust magnet...

I tried the Retro 5 and 7 as well but found the 6 is perfect for when I want all my kit with me.

Last edited:
Hmm I'm using a Retro 30 and can fit in the Sony A7RIII, 70-200mm 2.8 and the Canon 24-70mm 2.8 with Metabones in very comfortably. Vertically you can just about fit the 70-200mm attached to the Sony.

This Sunday went for a New Forest walk and popped in the OMD EM5 with 25mm 1.4 attached and the 7-14mm 2.8 in addition to the Sony gear.

Heavy but everything fairly comfortable. The reason being my better half wanted to take some shots too and prefers the more compact Olympus which I still think is awesome.

The Retro 30 isn't as big as you think it is. About the size of a school satchel.

Castle cameras in Bournemouth have a great range of Think Tank bags and they are cheaper than Amazon - good for a browse.

Last edited:
I think I’ve decided to keep the 40mm, seems a cracker....

I think I'll be mostly MF until my eyesight starts to go but luckily it's ok at the mo. Most of the time I focus on a subject but occasionally I use hyperfocal and very occasionally zone focus.

I'll probably buy the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 if the reviews are halfway decent but to be honest I may buy one even if the reviews aren't so hot as, as I mentioned before, the 40mm f1.2 was reported by some to have issues but as far as I can see it's near enough perfect.

If I get the 35mm and like it I'll very probably keep the 40mm too as there's just about enough between the focal lengths and the 40mm is good for walk about stuff and pictures of detail such as leaves and flowers and the like as it focuses relatively closely so it'll get used for that and the 35mm will be used for when I want a slightly more compact setup with a slightly wider FoV :D

I have FD lenses and they perform fine but I normally choose the Rokkors, I think that any of the mass market stuff is perfectly fine though.

Today with my A7 and Minolta Rokkor 35mm f2.8.

A bit chilly out.

1-DSC09135-C.jpg

"Have you ever been this cold?" I asked "No" she replied :D

DSC09131.jpg

Back to home and some warmth :D

1-DSC09142.jpg

Bags... I'm still using a cheap man bag for my camera and one or two lenses.

Last edited:
Opted for the Think Tank retrospective 7.

Went for it in pinestone. Hoping I like It! Was between that and the peak design one.

+1 on the Thinktank Bags, had a Retrospective 20 as my main bag for many years in Pinestone and loved it, only swapped as I found the bag on its own a little heavy when travelling, hence my swap over to Bellingham stuff in the main (Hadley Pro and a Hadley One)

There's an article on Luminous Landscape about digital picture frames. LL is a subscription site so I wont bother to include a link but for those who do subscribe and haven't read the article yet, it's worth a look and it's tempted me :D

I had a small digital picture thingy years ago but I never bothered with it and eventually gave it away but the idea of a large one on the wall is tempting :D but I don't think I'd like the trailing cable even if it is hardly noticeable.

Has anyone got one?

Is anyone tempted?

PS.
I used to have pictures of cars covering two walls but when we redecorated I took them down and never put them up again as I decided that liked the minimalist look but just one or two digital frames could display all of my car pictures and some other stuff too :D

Last edited:
There's an article on Luminous Landscape about digital picture frames. LL is a subscription site so I wont bother to include a link but for those who do subscribe and haven't read the article yet, it's worth a look and it's tempted me :D

I had a small digital picture thingy years ago but I never bothered with it and eventually gave it away but the idea of a large one on the wall is tempting :D but I don't think I'd like the trailing cable even if it is hardly noticeable.

Has anyone got one?

Is anyone tempted?

PS.
I used to have pictures of cars covering two walls but when we redecorated I took them down and never put them up again as I decided that liked the minimalist look but just one or two digital frames could display all of my car pictures and some other stuff too :D

Most modern TVs come with smart functionality built in. As a result, many of them can connect to a Flickr account and display photos from specific albums etc. Obviously this wouldn't be much use if you want to watch TV at the same time but it's an option!

An alternative is to pick up a 10" tablet (Android/Windows) and run an app to display Flickr photos on a loop. Would be easy to mount a tablet within a picture frame to look nicer but you's still need a trailing USB lead for power.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm old fashioned but my tv's are just a couple of feet off the ground and my pictures are mounted higher as would be a digital picture frame and of course these jobbies are bigger than a tablet.

I don't suppose I'll get one, but I might :D

I haven't checked the prices or the spec so I don't know if a tv is more expensive or cheaper, dunno.

Last edited:
Dunno what advantage these have over a tv.

I do sort of like the idea of having more pictures on the wall though :D

Other than that.

After an hour out with my Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 I came home and preordered the 35mm f1.4. I hope it's good :D

A7 and 40mm f1.2. There's wasn't as much snow about except on the cliff top in the distance but it was very cold.

DSC09157.jpg

DSC09159.jpg

DSC09173.jpg

DSC09178-N.jpg

Last edited:
Mounting a picture with blue-tak or double sided tape to an existing picture frame is far cheaper.

I used to take my A3 prints in and let the professionals mount and frame but after paying their prices for years I started doing it myself and they looked just as good at a fraction of the price :D

Not that I'm tight of course.

I used to take my A3 prints in and let the professionals mount and frame but after paying their prices for years I started doing it myself and they looked just as good at a fraction of the price :D

Not that I'm tight of course.

I was only joking to a cheap alternative instead of the electronic frame mentioned. ;)

Last edited:
How much are 24-70 f4 lenses going for second hand. Thinking of changing mine for the 24-105 seems to be a no brainer.

Back