The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The lens station is for e mount lenses not dslr mount, it's advertised on the site that you can calibrate the focus.... I tested it multiple times and it wrote the value and saved it to the lens each time.

Seriously... why would I make it up.

Last edited:
Is there a canon lens station?

But that still doesn't explain it. It allows you to write and confirms the change and the results speak for themselves.

Why do I need to lie?

I'm not saying you're lying pal. I've never once heard anyone anywhere micro adjust an e mount lens.

I can't find anything at all on the internet about it. The nature of on sensor af negates the need for microadjustment

I am just totally guessing here but may be this is because Samyang, like most 3rd party manufactures have to reverse engineer their product to fit, somewhere along the line, there is a bit of the information missing.

i.e. If for a Sony lens to focus with a Sony camera, there must be say….picking a number out of thin air here, say 10 elements that have to align for the camera to say "Yup, its now in focus". It's almost like NASA launch going. Fuel - Go ! Life Support - Go! Ignition Go ! etc etc etc.

Perhaps Samyang have figured out 9 out of the 10 things that the camera checking but not 1 or 2 things, minor things. In return, the lens will still work but it's still missing something, some code or some check that it doesn't talk to the body about.

I'm not saying you're lying pal. I've never once heard anyone anywhere micro adjust an e mount lens.

I can't find anything at all on the internet about it. The nature of on sensor af negates the need for microadjustment

I understand that it's odd but it works 100% and up until now you couldn't do it. I can post it to you and you can try it.

Last edited:
I understand that it's odd but it works 100% and up until now you couldn't do it. I can post it to you and you can try it.

Very strange indeed. Just aswell I've only one Samyang and it's pretty good as is haha

I wouldn’t be stunned if Sigma allowed the same thing via a USB Dock when their native e mount lenses are available, especially as they’re basically a DSLR lens with an improved adapter connected - its probably the way that their own engineers will fix issues with them.

I wouldn’t be stunned if Sigma allowed the same thing via a USB Dock when their native e mount lenses are available, especially as they’re basically a DSLR lens with an improved adapter connected - its probably the way that their own engineers will fix issues with them.

That' what I'm thinking. The lens station also allows you to change the aperture opening.... weird.

It shouldn't be needed is the point! If it is then the manufacturer is doing something very wrong!!!

It shouldn't be needed is the point! If it is then the manufacturer is doing something very wrong!!!

Maybe it would be good if Sony gave users those options, might help sort issues where lenses just get returned (for example the well known issues with the Distagon 35mm)

Guys, I’ll have a look at postage, not all that easy to send batts on their own, Hermes maybe?

Parcelforce and Royal Mail do actually allow lithium batteries but there's a variety of rules around it such as battery size/weight, if it's in a device or not, how many cells etc.

Hermes don't but they don't normally check either.

Maybe it would be good if Sony gave users those options, might help sort issues where lenses just get returned (for example the well known issues with the Distagon 35mm)

It makes conceptually no sense to have such an option! The whole point of mirrorless is you shouldn't need MFT because AF and image sensor are one and the same. You are asking for a redundant feature. Well know issue with 35mm is decentering has nothing to do with front/back focussing!

It makes conceptually no sense to have such an option! The whole point of mirrorless is you shouldn't need MFT because AF and image sensor are one and the same. You are asking for a redundant feature. Well know issue with 35mm is decentering has nothing to do with front/back focussing!

Well my Samyang is miles out at 0 (default for the lens) and at -3 its tack sharp.

Seem to have bought an A7lll from panamoz. How bad is the kit lens ? Will probably end up with the 24-105.

Seem to have bought an A7lll from panamoz. How bad is the kit lens ? Will probably end up with the 24-105.

For a standard range variable aperture zoom it's quite good, IMO. Best give it a road test and see what you think of it.

Will try the kit - will have nothing else to use anyway, yeah read a few reviews and 24 -105 is supposed to be pretty good. Cheers

It's an average kit lens, the retail price is laughable but the second hand is pretty attractive at around £160.

I wouldn't mind the 24-105mm as it's supposed to be much better than the 24-70mm but it's £1k used, so for me it's in the same bag as the Sony 70-300mm, I'd like one but can't justify paying twice what other brands cost. Eventually we'll get a Sigma or Tamron version at a sane price.

Just in the process of joining the Sony club. With a A7R2 and 55mm 1.8 to start with. Looking for the 24-105 But haven't found it in stock anywhere. Looks to be much better in reviews than the older kit lenses

Used the A73 properly today and one thing immediately obvious is that auto display of images needs to be switched off because the zoom button is the same as AEL meaning if you take a photo and then let go of AEL and decides to take another by pressing AEL, instead of eye focus i end up zooming into the image....

That’s a terrible idea. Why would you do that? ;)

:p

but for real..

I think if I ever need to be this small, I'll just use my Leica Q

Never going to use the 35mm 2.8 professionally.. and well I've been happy using bigger lenses in street scenarios..

and selling it will cover some of the cost for a new PC case :D

Back