The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The comment sections under articles like that are nothing but cringe inducing. How does one become a 'fanboy'? It baffles me. A lot of it is pure case of "I bought into this, therefore it is the best!" - Most popular rarely means best, or the likes of Justin Bieber would be a musical legend.

I thought console wars were childish over the years but 'photographers and vloggers take the cake these days.
:rolleyes::popcorn::beer:

Now one of these have to go…

hOc43OV.jpg

Get rid of the Canon...and the canon cameras :p

I was always a swinger ... :D I'd swing from Playstation to Xbox to Dreamcast to Nintendo when it came to consoles, I'm a bit like that with cameras too. It's whatever I fancy at that time, never been overly loyal to any one - or I'd still be shooting Nikon. I get that people can become tied to any system, it's expensive gear, you always lose when switching over - But those guys, sheesh, at least they make this place seem ultra friendly :ROFLMAO:
Same had N64, then PS1 and 2 (simply because I could play PS1 games) then Xbox 360 and now xbone (simply because I can play 360 games). I have also used PC for a long time and had Gameboy/DS handheld consoles. Now I have a GPD XD plus to play retro games again :D

But yeah console wars can get pretty heated on some forums. TBH it's like dealing with a bunch of children so I stopped going on gaming forums

AF - FE85 > 85GM > 85L

IQ is bit of a hard one to rank since different people prefer different things. As you see above Ray absolutely loves his 85L while F/1.4 doesn't seem to like it much. May its a marmite thing lol.
FE85 is sharp from wide open and bokeh is half-decent. 85GM is also very sharp from wide open has one of the best rendering+bokeh. 85L is the softest of the lot but has shallower DoF and the dreamy rendering thing going for it.

I rank the 85L the least sharp but it is sharp enough, sharp enough to pixel peep even, but it will look soft compare say to the Sony Zeiss 50/1.4.

JNE8c9o.jpg

zkndrxn.jpg

Same had N64, then PS1 and 2 (simply because I could play PS1 games) then Xbox 360 and now xbone (simply because I can play 360 games). I have also used PC for a long time and had Gameboy/DS handheld consoles. Now I have a GPD XD plus to play retro games again :D

But yeah console wars can get pretty heated on some forums. TBH it's like dealing with a bunch of children so I stopped going on gaming forums
Likewise. Mac vs Windows is also very childish

I’ve had SsSsSsSnake in various iterations on all platforms ,predominantly on PC for many years and not saying people copied me but it was around 20 years ago so
maybe.

Like me with 'Cagey' - course it's a little more common than yours :D I only have an old Xbox elite, which is like what? 10 years old at this stage? Kids have taken over it, they're not like us, they don't care about graphics or how realistic the blood is when you shoot someone in the face :D I don't know if I'd prefer a Ps4 or xbone, pondering on either one for Christmas

I rank the 85L the least sharp but it is sharp enough, sharp enough to pixel peep even, but it will look soft compare say to the Sony Zeiss 50/1.4.

JNE8c9o.jpg

zkndrxn.jpg

To keep on topic, lovely colours

Yes I’ve had 2 ps4’s And xbox360’s so went for 4K tv and xbox1x ,was hoping Warthunder would come out on it and lo and behold a week later the payfor pre release came out so very pleased so far.,not been on the box since the hot weather though,gearing up for a online autumn,spitfire just developed for combat (y)

Yes I’ve had 2 ps4’s And xbox360’s so went for 4K tv and xbox1x ,was hoping Warthunder would come out on it and lo and behold a week later the payfor pre release came out so very pleased so far.,not been on the box since the hot weather though,gearing up for a online autumn,spitfire just developed for combat (y)

I used to play World of Tanks on PC, but I was muck, a tomato :D haven't played in a long time. Didn't get on so well with Warthunder, found it confusing, discovered my spacial awareness is about as efficient as a snail being circled by crows!

Whoops, OT again ... er, A7!

is there much of a difference between the f4 anf f2.8 versions of the 70-200 besides 2.8/4?

Im debating the f4 version purely because its light and small for travelling.

is there much of a difference between the f4 anf f2.8 versions of the 70-200 besides 2.8/4?

Im debating the f4 version purely because its light and small for travelling.
The Sony FE 70-200mm f4 is a wonderful lens mate, I think the GM is better obviously because its f2.8 and better built.
However if you need to walk about a lot, the f4 is hard to discount.

Prime example, I am off to Dubai soon and I won't be taking my FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM, yes when I went previously I happily took my 70-200mm f4 :D

The Sony FE 70-200mm f4 is a wonderful lens mate, I think the GM is better obviously because its f2.8 and better built.
However if you need to walk about a lot, the f4 is hard to discount.

Prime example, I am off to Dubai soon and I won't be taking my FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM, yes when I went previously I happily took my 70-200mm f4 :D
Is the iq comparable?

Teeny tiny flowers with my Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 at f22 but still not enough depth.

s-DSC01343.jpg

100% from that.

t-DSC01343-C.jpg

Funny how you can get used to focal lengths. I've been using 35mm a bit and even going to 40mm I was missing the 35mm :D

Last edited:
dxo isn't a good source for lens comparisons tbh. Too many discrepancies and contradictions.
I know, but there's nothing else really to gauge it from. Looking at real world examples there's too many variables so test scores like this are probably the best source of a direct comparison, although as you say still not perfect.

I know, but there's nothing else really to gauge it from.

I'd be amazed if a few score points on a scale meant anything in the real world, technique would probably obliterate the difference anyway. Maybe I'm just not very fussy but very few lenses are even remotely approaching poor these days, so I just buy on focal length, AF speed and price.

I've never met a single client who'd care if my lens had a lower DXO score than something else :)

I'd be amazed if a few score points on a scale meant anything in the real world, technique would probably obliterate the difference anyway. Maybe I'm just not very fussy but very few lenses are even remotely approaching poor these days, so I just buy on focal length, AF speed and price.

I've never met a single client who'd care if my lens had a lower DXO score than something else :)
No, I'm totally with you on that one. Was just trying to answer Jonney's question ;)

Maybe they wouldn't but I can imagine you or others going above and beyond what the client wants and will pay for just for your own reasons and if you enjoyed knowing that your lens was the sharpest or most bokeholicios ever that may make it worth the money and research time spent Googling even if no one else ever notices :D

With modern lenses I buy as much on the spec as anything else and for me it's mostly aperture range and focal length as a starting point, then the bulk and weight with the look and quality and the cost following on and deciding then on the package as a whole. With older lenses I'm much more interested in the look.

Back