The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Doing my first Sony, well mostly Sony wedding today been pretty happy. Just having dinner and looked through some stuff from today.

Only major pain is every time I drop the camera to my side it is changing the shooting from single too timer and all sorts. Pain in the bum.

Take a Bow Son! by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Hate the way flickr goes rubbish on here! Even Facebook looks better.

For comparison... the actual photographer there was also Sony shooting and pics are here.

http://www.pdg-photography.co.uk/pa...centre-2018/dressage-15.09.18.php?gall_id=844

Really hard to tell with the other photogs photos as they're tiny compared to yours. I like yours, not much too complain about I think. Perhaps increase exposure a bit and up saturation a very tiny bit.

Doing my first Sony, well mostly Sony wedding today been pretty happy. Just having dinner and looked through some stuff from today.

Only major pain is every time I drop the camera to my side it is changing the shooting from single too timer and all sorts. Pain in the bum.
Huh? Are you knocking the mode dial or a custom button needs changing?

Really hard to tell with the other photogs photos as they're tiny compared to yours. I like yours, not much too complain about I think. Perhaps increase exposure a bit and up saturation a very tiny bit.

Thank you. First time shooting Sony and an EVF too so good practice!

You need to search your soul. And ask if your pictures are any better.
GAS can affect your judgement.

This is why I have held on to the D750 and borrowing the A7iii. Admittedly I did but the 70-200 but you don’t see them for sale 2nd hand very often.

Are the pics any better? Hard to tell after one shoot. Got more over next 2 weekends so no rush to decide!

BUT... the silent shooting is awesome! In the dressage arena where it’s quite quiet you can here the D750 rattling off. The A7 eerily silent! Trouble is don’t have it in 8fps for something that doesn’t need it... 200 images in a 4min dressage test :LOL:

I've complained about this alot. Not hearing it from many others

I've complained about this alot. Not hearing it from many others

Would imagine anyone that has the camera in a sling style strap or a double strap would run into this. Our videographer today is having the same problem. I guess need to consider always turning it off before dropping to my side but that isn’t always possible.

I keep hitting that dial, shame you can’t lock it.

Would imagine anyone that has the camera in a sling style strap or a double strap would run into this. Our videographer today is having the same problem. I guess need to consider always turning it off before dropping to my side but that isn’t always possible.

The Canon don’t allow you to press down on the dial so actually never had this problem before. It’s kist a wheel, not a click wheel.

The Sony dial is the thing that protrudes out of the rear the most so it gets knocked so easily.

I mean one could deactivate all the features on it but then you will have to go into menus a lot to change settings.

It's a pain in the arse lad

I'm using a PD slide.

This is why I have held on to the D750 and borrowing the A7iii. Admittedly I did but the 70-200 but you don’t see them for sale 2nd hand very often.

Are the pics any better? Hard to tell after one shoot. Got more over next 2 weekends so no rush to decide!

BUT... the silent shooting is awesome! In the dressage arena where it’s quite quiet you can here the D750 rattling off. The A7 eerily silent! Trouble is don’t have it in 8fps for something that doesn’t need it... 200 images in a 4min dressage test :LOL:

Thing is Justin. Dressage for me was single shot. I found the burst method often missed the optimum position. Yes, no doubt silent shooting is a huge benefit. I had many riders ask me to stop shooting because of Shutter noise.

Thing is Justin. Dressage for me was single shot. I found the burst method often missed the optimum position. Yes, no doubt silent shooting is a huge benefit. I had many riders ask me to stop shooting because of Shutter noise.

I was just experimenting with the FPS. At 8fps you seem to get every position lol.

Lovely images, and taking on the original A7 :eek: just goes to show how good IQ the original A7 can produce, its good enough for me :)

cheers. got about 100 or so shots to go through - but obviously the focal length isn't ideal so was hard to frame how i'd like to.

Yeah copped that, need many more images though, too much gear smack talk :D

I don't get to use my cameras much these days and when we do get out the chances are we can't go far and the light is poor. Besides that I haven't bought any new lenses since I got the 85mm f1.8 and I've posted pictures taken with that.

The first one is beautiful :) Makes me wish my daughters were still that age :( I used to get cracking shots of them when they didn't care about the camera, now they either pull silly poses or run a mile :D

On your d800? :)

Thanks. She is at the stage now where she either won’t look at the camera or when she does it’s with her tongue out. I liked the background so managed to get her to stand there for a moment. Got three shots in before she walked off and this was the only one that’s usable.

On your d800E? :)

Thanks. She is at the stage now where she either won’t look at the camera or when she does it’s with her tongue out. I liked the background so managed to get her to stand there for a moment. Got three shots in before she walked off and this was the only one that’s usable.

FTFY :D

I prefer candids to posed which is what I love about it :)

On your d800? :)

We've got a little one in our family on the autistic spectrum and at our wedding he did something in every shot he was in which was understandable but it would have been nice to get one shot with him in it without that.

Have you tried bribery? :D

Last edited:
We've got a little one in our family on the autistic spectrum and at our wedding he did something in every shot he was in which was understandable but it would have been nice to get one shot with him in it without that.

Have yo tried bribery? :D

Our daughter has Cerebral Palsy, she's in her terrible teens now and is very conscious of how she looks in photos. She has a bit of a wandering right eye and she will demand I delete any pics where it's more obvious. I get the best shots of her candidly, and only show her the ones where that irritation [only to her] is not so clear.

Back