The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Any good?

Purely based on IQ he has the Canon as sharper and cleaner but the Sony has better recovery and less fringing and hue.

What the hell is that stupid left right button on the Canon???

Purely based on IQ he has the Canon as sharper and cleaner but the Sony has better recovery and less fringing and hue.

What the hell is that stupid left right button on the Canon???
That's compared to the A73 the A7R3 came out better than the Canon but those tests were extreme pixel peeping.

In best pantomime voice...

"Oh no it doesn't."

Followed by "Behind You!" as the A7RIII comes up from behind :D

Well the A7RIII was made to look a right beast for sure.

Who is really going to push any of these cameras +5 stops of DR in post though? Just because the feature is there ...

Why would you ever need to do this? Expose correctly from the off.
Maybe when you want to push certain area's of the photo in post...... boost shadows / detail etc..... HDR / landscape photography.

Sony FE 24mm f1.4 GM is coming.. I guess the FE 135mm f1.8 isn't too far behind. :)

Maybe when you want to push certain area's of the photo in post...... boost shadows / detail etc..... HDR / landscape photography.

5 stops though?? I can understand 1-3

Going by the results in this video I wouldn't use any of those cameras in that manner

Why would you ever need to do this? Expose correctly from the off.

Why would anyone want to shoot wide open on a sunny day and have the foreground, subject and sky an equal exposure? Why would anyone want to shoot at base ISO underexposed and push in post to to create unique lighting when theres another bright source in the frame to consider etc etc etc. The more DR I have in post the better.

5 stops though?? I can understand 1-3

Going by the results in this video I wouldn't use any of those cameras in that manner
I know what your saying, before I bought the Sony A9 I did some research, looking through my old original A7 photos, I came to the conclusion that the IQ/ISO/DR on the A9 was good enough.
I ended up going for the Sony A9 over the better ISO/DR abilities found on the A7R III (at the time).

Why would anyone want to shoot wide open on a sunny day and have the foreground, subject and sky an equal exposure? Why would anyone want to shoot at base ISO underexposed and push in post to to create unique lighting when theres another bright source in the frame to consider etc etc etc. The more DR I have in post the better.

Bracketing?

The only advantage I see with the Canon RF is that it has a higher pixel count, so it looks sharper because you are zooming in more with he A73. In the real world, using both cameras (5D4/A73) handheld I simply get more sharper images from the A73 because of IBIS.

I know what your saying, before I bought the Sony A9 I did some research, looking through my old original A7 photos, I came to the conclusion that the IQ/ISO/DR on the A9 was good enough.
I ended up going for the Sony A9 over the better ISO/DR abilities found on the A7R III (at the time).
The A9 is more then good enough. Its sensational. I've pushed shadows like no man's business especially when I shoot at high iso. That camera you can boost the shadows not just at base iso but higher iso. It's a sports camera designed to be shot at iso 3200 or higher [emoji115]

How do you achieve that in a very high contrast scene?

Are you saying you push and pull -5/+5 in post often? or even very occasionally? Again, looking at the results from these cameras I don't see any of them being usable in those extremes

So I can darken the foreground and subject even more and need even more DR to recover? No thanks, if I did landscape then maybe.

You're getting a noisey mess the other way, unless this comparison was complete BS.

The A9 is more then good enough. Its sensational. I've pushed shadows like no man's business especially when I shoot at high iso. That camera you can boost the shadows not just at base iso but higher iso. It's a sports camera designed to be shot at iso 3200 or higher [emoji115]
Good for weddings too :D

Are you saying you push and pull -5/+5 in post often? or even very occasionally? Again, looking at the results from these cameras I don't see any of them being usable in those extremes
I do a fair bit of landscapes and for me the 5 stops recovery is great it's not a case of using all the 5 stops avaible because I'm with you the results in most cases are unnatural but having 5 stops means I can use 3 to 4 stops and get decent results.

I do a fair bit of landscapes and for me the 5 stops recovery is great it's not a case of using all the 5 stops avaible because I'm with you the results in most cases are unnatural but having 5 stops means I can use 3 to 4 stops and get decent results.

Exactly and if it had 10 stops you could use 8 if practical.

The more the better imo. I shoot a lot of backlit portraits wide open, DR is a big thing for me.

Last edited:
Heres an example, everything in this image is black (the original), except the window as I used highlight metering for the window, I pushed specific areas in post to achieve what I wanted, various light sources (NO FLASH or torch), only 1 exposure, with less DR I could never have done this. 4 stop push, maybe a little more in certain areas.

This is why I like pushing in post, same applies to the natural light portraits I shoot.

Last edited:

I guess cameras with that 5 stop ability perform better at more realistic levels. I know I have pulled great detail back many times in post, but it'll be more like 1 - 2 stops max outside of very specific images. Better have it than not I guess. But my question originally was who the hell uses 5 stops recovery? I kinda meant regularly, because it's definitely not something you want to be doing a lot.

Bracketing?

Would love to ask them to stop a race so i could bracket a few exposures ;)

Most of the time at British Superbikes i still expose to retain the highlights and pull back as much shadow detail as possible in post so the more and cleaner i can recover the better.

Would love to ask them to stop a race so i could bracket a few exposures ;)

Most of the time at British Superbikes i still expose to retain the highlights and pull back as much shadow detail as possible in post so the more and cleaner i can recover the better.

And I doubt you are ever going anywhere near 5 stops in post at that, because you know what you're doing. You're ETTL knowing that you will be pulling back, and it's probably more like a stop, 2 max

I guess cameras with that 5 stop ability perform better at more realistic levels. I know I have pulled great detail back many times in post, but it'll be more like 1 - 2 stops max outside of very specific images. Better have it than not I guess. But my question originally was who the hell uses 5 stops recovery? I kinda meant regularly, because it's definitely not something you want to be doing a lot.

There's the key. We don't need all the abilities of our kit all the time, including DR and shadow recovery, only sometimes :D

If you're shooting backlit without flash or any kind of lit I suppose if there are areas that are that far behind the exposure, indoor shooting with windows in the frame or outdoor shooting when areas you want to see detail in are in deep shadow.

This of Mrs WW retains the flat winter half light through the window, as in it isn't blown...

1-DSC09708.jpg

But I think it needs 5 or maybe even 6 stops to bring the shadows up.

Last edited:
Back