The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Interested to see how well the animal eye af works on moving subjects. I thought there’d be some videos up on YouTube by now but haven’t found any.

It's a shame that animal and human eye detect can't work at the same time but I suppose this wont be an issue for most people most of the time.

Interested to see how well the animal eye af works on moving subjects. I thought there’d be some videos up on YouTube by now but haven’t found any.
I’ve found it’s not that good on fast moving animals on the A7r3. If they are moving slowly or static it works quite well. I made a video using it on a static squirrel but moving the camera around. I was going to put it up as part of a blog, it can be seen in the link below:

https://spark.adobe.com/video/8mD1RRDemnHWI

I need to test it more as I don’t think I really got to understand the best way of using it. It’s knowing how to set it up and be able to flip between eye af and your normal af mode (I mostly use single point so it’s difficult getting eye af to work-I don’t really understand how best to use and implement it).

Last edited:
I bought the Sigma 24mm 1.4 Art for my wife, I had a preconception this lens wasn't great - boy how wrong was I. Was scouting a few locations yesterday for an upcoming city shoot and was taking random photos in the town with it and was seriously surprised at how great it performed. At least as good as the 35mm imo and it isn't nearly as big as I thought it would be. Obviously these images are probably TP potato'ised but theyre razor sharp!

TT105520.jpgTT105546.jpgTT105528.jpg

I bought the Sigma 24mm 1.4 Art for my wife, I had a preconception this lens wasn't great - boy how wrong was I. Was scouting a few locations yesterday for an upcoming city shoot and was taking random photos in the town with it and was seriously surprised at how great it performed. At least as good as the 35mm imo and it isn't nearly as big as I thought it would be. Obviously these images are probably TP potato'ised but theyre razor sharp!

View attachment 256051View attachment 256052View attachment 256050

24mm is supposedly one of the harder focal length's to design. Probably the reason 24 ART is the "worst" of the ART series primes which are excellent to outstanding for most part.

bedtime reading - https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/20...m-f1-4-gm-sony-35mm-f1-8-tamron-35mm-f1-4-sp/

Last edited:
The A7RIV has just dropped in price on e-infin too £2799, that was quick.

The A7RIV has just dropped in price on e-infin too £2799, that was quick.

I wonder if that'll still be the case if GBP falls.

regardless I would not spend that much money with e-infin and lose sleep over it.

Do I need a special Sigma adapter to change the 35mm 1.4 firmware?

I was hoping that Tamron 35mm f/1.4 was going to be one of the rumoured FE Tamron primes instead of those f/2.8 lenses that seem to be coming.

That's wishful thinking though considering how small the lenses looked in comparison to the already small 17-28mm.
I hoped it was f2.

Yeah I am with you on that, I would be reluctant to spend that much with them on one transaction.

Has people been having bother with them? I've bought loads from them over the years and not had any issues!

Has people been having bother with them? I've bought loads from them over the years and not had any issues!
I've had one item from their eBay shop be delayed recently - seems they had an issue processing orders on a couple of days. However they have then resolved and the replacement arrived within about 4 days of them sending (or at least it's awaiting my collection from post office as I was out when they delivered it)

If I was after an A7rIV I wouldn't hesitate on buying from them.

I don't think there has been too many problems with buying and receiving what you ordered, just their after sales is really poor.

There terms and consitions of sale are particularly bad.

They have a fair bit of bad feedback on trust pilot.

I know a few people that have ordered new kit from them and they have received obviously used kit. To be fair they did sort them out with a replacement although it took some time.

I wouldn't personally trust them with a large purchase. Would rather use Panamoz they will mostly price match or come quite close anyway and there customer service and terms and conditions are much better.

I still have the A7RIII you sold me. Let me know when you sell the A7RIV :D

I think pretty much everyone on TP must have at least one piece of kit I’ve sold...

I was slowly rebuilding after selling it all off but I decided to just rip off the band aid and bulk buy.

Still shy a few lenses, I have:

24 f1.4
35 f2.8
85 f1.4
135 f1.8
24-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8
200-600 f5.6-6.3 (on order)

Missing the 90 Macro and 16-35 2.8 GM.

Almost there.

Last edited:

I don’t think it’s such a bad lens either, I just don’t use mine much at all.

Thats because certain people slag it off without even using it. Great lens ime.

Thats because certain people slag it off without even using it. Great lens ime.

Yeah man, when I loaded up the files yesterday I was really happy with what I seen. A friend of mine that was out with me yesterday using it just bought one too for himself. I agree with you and sadly I thought it wasn't good myself based on what I was reading about it.

Yeah man, when I loaded up the files yesterday I was really happy with what I seen. A friend of mine that was out with me yesterday using it just bought one too for himself. I agree with you and sadly I thought it wasn't good myself based on what I was reading about it.

Good to hear another positive (actual) user review. Enjoy your new lens mate :)

24 f1.4
35 f2.8
85 f1.4
135 f1.8
24-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8

That will be quite a line up and will cover everything you could ever do.

My plan before moving to Sony was to reduce what I have to to minimise size/weight. I have the 70-200 f4 up for sale as I feel I could get by with just the 24-105 and 100-400. The 70-200 f4 is a good lens but the other two can cover the same focal length so it seems wasted sitting there.

I think pretty much everyone on TP must have at least one piece of kit I’ve sold...

I was slowly rebuilding after selling it all off but I decided to just rip off the band aid and bulk buy.

24 f1.4
35 f2.8
85 f1.4
135 f1.8
24-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8

Almost there.
That looks very much like you previous line up :)
Covers most things.
Personally I'd have gone with the new FE35/1.8 instead of the f2.8 version.

24 f1.4
35 f2.8
85 f1.4
135 f1.8
24-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8

Almost there.

I have your old 90mm macro. :ROFLMAO:

I’ve found it’s not that good on fast moving animals on the A7r3. If they are moving slowly or static it works quite well. I made a video using it on a static squirrel but moving the camera around. I was going to put it up as part of a blog, it can be seen in the link below:

https://spark.adobe.com/video/8mD1RRDemnHWI

I need to test it more as I don’t think I really got to understand the best way of using it. It’s knowing how to set it up and be able to flip between eye af and your normal af mode (I mostly use single point so it’s difficult getting eye af to work-I don’t really understand how best to use and implement it).

Thanks for that Rob, I will try it on my A7RIV at some point when the 200-600 finally arrives. As for setting up eye AF, easiest way is to assign to a custom button such as AEL Hold.

Back