The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

As one of my cars was going in for a service yesterday I got some time out :D and completely by myself as unusually Mrs WW wouldn't come as the weather was crap. I had a lovely 5 hour walk but the weather and light were awful. I took 200 pictures mainly just for something to do as I like taking pictures and processing them and seeing the results but being honest there's not a single one I'd want to look at again as I have thousands of pictures of my local area taken on no sky dead light days. I couldn't even take any nice close up shots of flowers, shells or seaweed as the light was just awful. That's the last twice I've been out with my camera that the light at least has been crap if not the weather as such.

At least I had a long walk and chatted to a few strangers and their dogs but it's days like that that make me just long for some good for photography light. Even on holiday in Singapore the light was sh!t as Indonesia was on fire and mostly there was just no sky.

Last edited:
Just discovered tethered shooting with the A9 and Capture one - never used it before so wow - so versatile! Especially the live edits on shots and the overlayed images etc. Very powerful, that an the ability to use the Capture One on the iPad Pro thanks to the new screen extension ability in OS X Catalina - goodbye Wacom!

As one of my cars was going in for a service yesterday I got some time out :D and completely by myself as unusually Mrs WW wouldn't come as the weather was crap. I had a lovely 5 hour walk but the weather and light were awful. I took 200 pictures mainly just for something to do as I like taking pictures and processing them and seeing the results but being honest there's not a single one I'd want to look at again as I have thousands of pictures of my local area taken on no sky dead light days. I couldn't even take any nice close up shots of flowers, shells or seaweed as the light was just awful. That's the last twice I've been out with my camera that the light at least has been crap if not the weather as such.

At least I had a long walk and chatted to a few strangers and their dogs but it's days like that that make me just long for some good for photography light. Even on holiday in Singapore the light was sh!t as Indonesia was on fire and mostly there was just no sky.

You have to be in it to win it as they say, if you’re not out you’ve got no chance. Sometimes there’s disappointment and sometimes nice surprise. I went out on the weekend, weather wasn’t good and apps forecast a poor sunset. Driving to my destination I could only see thick grey 100% cloud coverage. Turned out an hour later sunset was brilliant with colours and cloud pattern.

In contrast other times I expect good light and get nothing.

In either case it’s nice to be out and just not give up or get disappointed

Yup.

When I'd picked my car up on the drive home the light improved a lot, too late for me though on the day. I do like the one I shot of Mrs WW when I got home...

sjF50Sg.jpg

I think she might have been a bit tired :D

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 at f1.4.

I think pretty much everyone on TP must have at least one piece of kit I’ve sold...

I was slowly rebuilding after selling it all off but I decided to just rip off the band aid and bulk buy.

Still shy a few lenses, I have:

24 f1.4
35 f2.8
85 f1.4
135 f1.8
24-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8
200-600 f5.6-6.3 (on order)

Missing the 90 Macro and 16-35 2.8 GM.

Almost there.

:eek: :D

My Gosh the comments over there are dire reading... they're worse than the worst thread here :D

This place isn't too bad, IMO, look at DPR and Luminous Landscape can be just awful. Probably worse is a car forum I used to read and post on. Any photography forum is a step up from that :D

It's been a while since I bought a lens... weeks... so I fancy another 35mm. I'd like a manual one and possibly one which mounts straight to the camera.

I have Rokkor, Zuiko and FD plus a Nikon pre ai and I have the Sony 35mm f1.8 and f2.8 and the Voigtlander f1.4. I thought I might go for the Loxia f2 but I read somewhere that the bokeh is similar to the Voigtlander at f2+ so if that's the case it wont give me anything too different. I've sort of lost track what's on the market although the recently announced Yasuhara Anthy f1.8 did catch my eye assuming that there's no purple vignetting on Sony but it doesn't seem to be in the shops yet. Also looking at the Voigtlander f1.7 Ultron which needs an adapter but I have a nice helicoid one. Phillip Reeve thinks it gives nice bokeh...

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/voigtlander-ultron-11-7-35-mm-review/

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
My 200-600 shipped today, perfect time as I was hoping to get it before Friday next week :) I was quite impressed when I tried one a few weeks ago so look forward to giving it a proper go.

But there’s hardly any power to them. Like you said, a little splash of colour maybe but very limited imo.

From what I read in them they are about the equivalent of a 96 led video light which is perfect for what I would use them for.

Been thinking about an 85, particularly with the ebay 10% offer. Chanced on a handy Dustin Abbott review of all the FE mount 85s: https://dustinabbott.net/2019/08/sony-fe-85mm-f1-8-review/

It may be 'council house' but based on my experience with the Sammy 50 f1.4, I'd probably pick either the Samyang or the Viltrox lenses, especially since Amazon have the Viltrox for £320 & I can just send it back if it sucks. I'm very tempted by the focus reliability & slightly better micro-contrast of the FE 50 1.8 (only a few quid more, grey) but not so keen on the busy bokeh & CA. The Sammy 85 f1.4 would be nicer, but they haven't come down in price, & I don't really want to spend £600 on a lens that will get occasional use for portraits.

Last edited:
Back