The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

You can get a Pelican case with inserts/foam for 1/3rd of that.

And for £8k, it really should come with it?
Yep, the price of the lens is ridiculous and the least you should expect is a peli type case. I’ve stopped trying to work out how manufacturers are working out prices these days, all seems to have gone crazy to me.

Lol, yeah, I would ONLY use silent shutter if there is no LED lights or outdoors.

Even outdoors, if they're moving quickly, or you move quickly, you get weird distortion due to the rolling shutter effect. So I don't even use it outdoors now.

A7RIV review out on dpreview. I must say the AF seems a disappointment. Low light AF not so good.
Still no touchscreen! Still on lossless compression! They simply just don't care to compete properly. Seems like an half-assed upgrade once again with reusing old components which in this is case the processor.

Never thought I'd say this but canon high-res body may just become more appealing if they manage to keep the good low light AF and the latest sensor improvements seen in 90D.

A7RIV review out on dpreview. I must say the AF seems a disappointment. Low light AF not so good.
Still no touchscreen! Still on lossless compression! They simply just don't care to compete properly. Seems like an half-assed upgrade once again with reusing old components which in this is case the processor.

Never thought I'd say this but canon high-res body may just become more appealing if they manage to keep the good low light AF and the latest sensor improvements seen in 90D.

do you know the processor is exactly the same? Or is it just called the same name?

Canon :LOL:

It feels like everyone in here feels the need for an 'upgrade' and I am just sat here with my A7 III and very content :wave:

do you know the processor is exactly the same? Or is it just called the same name?

It's the same one not just the same name. Was mentioned on dpreview by their staff having confirmed with Sony in one of the few announcement materials.
I know the name of their processors remain the same.

It's the same one not just the same name. Was mentioned on dpreview by their staff having confirmed with Sony in one of the few announcement materials.
I know the name of their processors remain the same.

That is kinda crap then, but perhaps they changed other electric bits in it to get more out the processor.

Is the a7r3 better af then?

That is kinda crap then, but perhaps they changed other electric bits in it to get more out the processor.

May be they did who knows. They claimed they designed the processor to handle the new features i.e. real-time AF and high resolution.

If that is the case then why doesn't A7/Riii bodies get real-time AF upgrade.

I am willing to bet a penny or two the A7RV will have the same 61mp sensor but with new processor which will improve the AF and IQ.

Sony seems to be becoming the new canon.

May be they did who knows. They claimed they designed the processor to handle the new features i.e. real-time AF and high resolution.

If that is the case then why doesn't A7/Riii bodies get real-time AF upgrade.

I am willing to bet a penny or two the A7RV will have the same 61mp sensor but with new processor which will improve the AF and IQ.

Sony seems to be becoming the new canon.

like I said, I hope they aren’t going back to their old ways now they are doing well in their imaging dept.

The m6ii isn’t really expensive and it’s the most interesting thing I’ve seen from them in a while.
That and G5Xii. Though the sensor and EVF is bought from Sony their new 24-120mm/1.8-2.8 lens is phenomenal. Also the body is very well designed and easy to use unlike the fiddly RX100 bodies.

That and G5Xii. Though the sensor and EVF is bought from Sony their new 24-120mm/1.8-2.8 lens is phenomenal. Also the body is very well designed and easy to use unlike the fiddly RX100 bodies.
See what happens I guess, will be interesting now the other players are getting more involved in milc.

They keep releasing incremental upgrades and people buy them on mass. Makes massive business sense for them and they are still ahead of the competition. They don’t need to get that much better.

I think it depends on what you're comparing it to, it's much better than the A7RIII imo, I've said in the past that the AF is not great in low light but I found that with all Sony cameras, the D850 is much better in low light. IMO it's a very good upgrade to the A7RIII which I thought was pretty poor (think I moaned about it enough in the past). My main gripe with the A7RIV is the same old screen on that back with limited touch but if I'm honest I don't use the touch much on my D850/X-T3 as I usually forget about it, I certainly wish it was a higher res and had a vertical tilt though.

This bit may just be in my mind but I didn't trust the A7RIII etc in adverse weather, I hiked up Snowdon twice last week in bad weather and didn't worry about the A7RIV getting soaked, sure the A7RIII may have been OK but I never had any confidence in it.

Having said all this, in a few years (and it will be a while) when Nikon/Canon have caught up a bit and more importantly have a full selection of native lenses I'll look at their system but at the moment I can't buy into their mirrorless lineup although I'd like to.

Last edited:
The m6ii isn’t really expensive and it’s the most interesting thing I’ve seen from them in a while.
Shame there’s not a decent lens lineup to pair it with :(

sigma primes are coming, I think viltrox is also bringing their stuff and there’s the Ef adapter I guess.
That’ll make it a more interesting proposition. No fast zooms on the horizon?

I think it depends on what you're comparing it to, it's much better than the A7RIII imo, I've said in the past that the AF is not great in low light but I found that with all Sony cameras, the D850 is much better in low light. IMO it's a very good upgrade to the A7RIII which I thought was pretty poor (think I moaned about it enough in the past). My main gripe with the A7RIV is the same old screen on that back with limited touch but if I'm honest I don't use the touch much on my D850/X-T3 as I usually forget about it, I certainly wish it was a higher res and had a vertical tilt though.

This bit may just be in my mind but I didn't trust the A7RIII etc in adverse weather, I hiked up Snowdon twice last week in bad weather and didn't worry about the A7RIV getting soaked, sure the A7RIII may have been OK but I never had any confidence in it.

Having said all this, in a few years (and it will be a while) when Nikon/Canon have caught up a bit and more importantly have a full selection of native lenses I'll look at their system but at the moment I can't buy into their mirrorless lineup although I'd like to.

Maybe there is a fault with your camera. I have only used the A7III’s and an A9, but they are a fair bit better than the D850’s I had in low light. The D750 was better in terms of a.f in low light than the D850 and the A7III and A9 is better than the D750.

Last edited:
Maybe there is a fault with your camera. I have only used the A7III’s and an A9, but they are a fair bit better than the D850’s I had in low light. The D750 was better in terms of a.f than the D850 and the A7III and A9 is better than the D750.

I’d agree with this, especially with fast primes wide open. Zooms and stopping down gets slower.

Last edited:
dunno, doubt it, but the adapted stuff is supposed to work well and there’s plenty of choice there.
Shame. Plus I hate the idea of a stuck on viewfinder ;)
Maybe there is a fault with your camera. I have only used the A7III’s and an A9, but they are a fair bit better than the D850’s I had in low light. The D750 was better in terms of a.f than the D850 and the A7III and A9 is better than the D750.
Maybe your D850 was dodgy, the D850’s AF is better than the D750.

Last edited:
The 135 is in my basket at the moment.

But it might be grounds for divorce.

I'd have loved that Siggy 135 1.8 in the classifieds, but really cannot justify it as a hobbyist. LCE have a 45 f2.8 for £400, and while it's tempting, that's not a focal length or lens I need either.

Back