The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I thought I'd take my Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.2 for a walk...

Looks like spring...

2RsDxYU.jpg

The wind got up so I thought I'd try something different, 1/4 sec...

sW1gZMh.jpg

I ordered a used RRS L bracket from WEX that fits the A7r3. It arrived today and I have to same I’m impressed, it’s definitely feels like a perfect fit. When in hand it feels like an extension of the camera body- my little finger doesn’t feel like it’s on something else than the camera body (even though it’s on the L bracket). The small rig L bracket was good but this is just a bit better. I like the idea of the battery door moving to the L bracket but I wouldnt say it was completely sealed. although it’s just the same as when it was fitted to the camera body. I wasn’t expecting the Allen key storage, that’s something I liked about the small rig L bracket.
I picked up a used one for my A7r3 about six months ago I never really got on with the Small rig it just didn't feel right in my hands, the RRS is just about perfect for me excellent fit and finish, the base is now a permanent fixture on the camera the upright bit is fitted as and when needed.

Yes you should have known better ;)
Sony FE85/1.8 is pretty great tbh
TBH having looked through what people have produced with the Sony 85 on Flickr, I prefer the optics of this one, just from a few test shots.

For the rest, we'll see. AF is still better than the 50 f1.8

TBH having looked through what people have produced with the Sony 85 on Flickr, I prefer the optics of this one, just from a few test shots.

For the rest, we'll see. AF is still better than the 50 f1.8

you can't judge a lens based on the internet users ;)
you could probably sold back the FE85/1.8 for almost no loss if you didn't like it.

I am yearning for the Sigma 35/1.2....just because.....

Should I?!?!?! It will probably cost close to £1k + my Zeiss to part-ex it.

I am yearning for the Sigma 35/1.2....just because.....

Should I?!?!?! It will probably cost close to £1k + my Zeiss to part-ex it.

Why not?

I'm currently lusting after either the Voigtlander 50mm f1.2 or the upcoming f2 (or both) but I'm having trouble justifying buying either (or both) as I have the 40mm f1.2 and a 50mm f1.2 Rokkor but the latter is relatively funky at f1.2 but very nice at f2.

you can't judge a lens based on the internet users ;)
you could probably sold back the FE85/1.8 for almost no loss if you didn't like it.
It wasn't just Flickr, but sometimes you need to see some real-world pictures.

Just updated the firmware, so I'll give it another go later. Like I said, I prefer the rendering of this lens in many ways.

It wasn't just Flickr, but sometimes you need to see some real-world pictures.

Just updated the firmware, so I'll give it another go later. Like I said, I prefer the rendering of this lens in many ways.

Someone in the Fuji thread had connection issues with this lens too, after a FW update the camera refused to recognize it. Surprised at Viltrox, as with their adapters they were always very good at fixing issues quickly with FW updates.

Also, on this lens, it seems it was more optimized with APSC [Fuji] in mind, but still gets a lot of praise for FF [Sony, I believe the only one atm] - With higher scores in some areas than the Sony 85mm, but they say the edges/corners are worse. https://www.lenstip.com/568.1-Lens_review-Viltrox_PFU_RBMH_85_mm_f_1.8_STM-Introduction.html

Or even the Sigma 135 and spend the saving on something else.....:LOL:

It's not so good in low light, so for weddings that would be a no.

I looked at the Sigma myself and it is very good, but I would have only have spent the money left over on bad women, and powdering my nose so was better off getting the GM.

Someone in the Fuji thread had connection issues with this lens too, after a FW update the camera refused to recognize it. Surprised at Viltrox, as with their adapters they were always very good at fixing issues quickly with FW updates.

Also, on this lens, it seems it was more optimized with APSC [Fuji] in mind, but still gets a lot of praise for FF [Sony, I believe the only one atm] - With higher scores in some areas than the Sony 85mm, but they say the edges/corners are worse. https://www.lenstip.com/568.1-Lens_review-Viltrox_PFU_RBMH_85_mm_f_1.8_STM-Introduction.html
Just back from a lunchtime photo walk with new firmware installed. No connection issues, apparently snappy focus most of the time (close to 24-105 reliability i.e. not 100% but good most of the time).

One slightly odd thing is that when I change aperture I can hear the iris being moved.

I'll get some more pictures up tonight if possible.

Right now the Sammy 85 f1.5 is looking increasingly attractive.... if only it weren't so large.

samyang vs. viltrox

568g vs. 636g weight
99.5mm vs. ~100mm length
88mm vs. ~80mm diameter

Looks like samyang is slightly lighter and same length as viltrox. Vitrox is slightly sleeker.

So if you are willing to put up with the viltrox I see no reason you wouldn't put up with the samyang and get that f1.4

samyang vs. viltrox

568g vs. 636g weight
99.5mm vs. ~100mm length
88mm vs. ~80mm diameter

Looks like samyang is slightly lighter and same length as viltrox. Vitrox is slightly sleeker.

So if you are willing to put up with the viltrox I see no reason you wouldn't put up with the samyang and get that f1.4

Heavy for a 1.8.

It's not so good in low light, so for weddings that would be a no.

I looked at the Sigma myself and it is very good, but I would have only have spent the money left over on bad women, and powdering my nose so was better off getting the GM.

Dude, I've shot speeches in the nastiest light with it and it doesn't miss (specifically that hellhole Malone Lodge recently) For weddings the 135 art is perfectly fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, I've shot speeches in the nastiest light with it and it doesn't miss (specifically that hellhole Malone Lodge recently) For weddings the 135 art is perfectly fine.

Malone lodge is nice and bright compared to AMPM. :ROFLMAO:

Did ya not tell them to pump up the lights for the speeches?

Malone lodge is nice and bright compared to AMPM. :ROFLMAO:

Did ya not tell them to pump up the lights for the speeches?

Dude, I never ever want to shoot another wedding there again. Literally, one if not the worst venues in Belfast IMO. Also shows how retarded them dumb AF wedding awards are giving it best venue in Belfast. Absolute sham of a setup they are lmao

Dude, I never ever want to shoot another wedding there again. Literally, one if not the worst venues in Belfast IMO. Also shows how retarded them dumb AF wedding awards are giving it best venue in Belfast. Absolute sham of a setup they are lmao

It’s not great but it’s not the worst either.

Love the first and fifth. Lovely dog (y)

Thanks, first one is my favourite of the day, the foreground bokeh balls are from the frost melting on the grass in the low sunrise BTW.

Last edited:
Looks like the Viltrox is going back, mostly because it misses focus a lot and mis-behaves in other ways. Behaviour was apparently a lot better with the firmware update, and sometimes it snapped into focus really quickly in the viewfinder, but examining the images, in many it's front-focussed by enough to completely miss the point of shallow DoF. Another bizarre thing is that the exposure lock button was also locking focus at the same time, which is distinctly not helpful. This kind of behaviour hasn't been reported in the reviews, so I'm wondering if the lens was given a hard time in delivery and has suffered as a result.

Optically it's sharp enough if stopped down a little. Seeing NBs pictures (thanks for posting the ones with the 85) it produces a rendering much more like the 200 f2.8 than the 85 f1.8 as presented here, and I'd give up some sharpness for that look. As it is though, the problems are greater than I'm willing to accept - if it nailed focus 8 times out of 10 then I'd be happy, but with the latest set I'd say it's no better than 50%, possibly less. Pity really.

Looks like the Viltrox is going back, mostly because it misses focus a lot and mis-behaves in other ways. Behaviour was apparently a lot better with the firmware update, and sometimes it snapped into focus really quickly in the viewfinder, but examining the images, in many it's front-focussed by enough to completely miss the point of shallow DoF. Another bizarre thing is that the exposure lock button was also locking focus at the same time, which is distinctly not helpful. This kind of behaviour hasn't been reported in the reviews, so I'm wondering if the lens was given a hard time in delivery and has suffered as a result.

Optically it's sharp enough if stopped down a little. Seeing NBs pictures (thanks for posting the ones with the 85) it produces a rendering much more like the 200 f2.8 than the 85 f1.8 as presented here, and I'd give up some sharpness for that look. As it is though, the problems are greater than I'm willing to accept - if it nailed focus 8 times out of 10 then I'd be happy, but with the latest set I'd say it's no better than 50%, possibly less. Pity really.

An 85 1.8 won’t render like a 200 2.8, I’d be interested in seeing a side by side of the fe and viltrox. Shame about the weight and af (for me).

Last edited:
I picked up a used one for my A7r3 about six months ago I never really got on with the Small rig it just didn't feel right in my hands, the RRS is just about perfect for me excellent fit and finish, the base is now a permanent fixture on the camera the upright bit is fitted as and when needed.
The removal side bracket is a nice addition. Used to having the side bracket on but I can see that being a benefit. With the Allen key storage i would be easy to put on/take off.

An 85 1.8 won’t render like a 200 2.8, I’d be interested in seeing a side by side of the fe and viltrox. Shame about the weight and af (for me).

There's a lot of reviews around, some where they've done exactly that (i.e. Dustin Abbott compares 6 different 85mm lenses in FE mount). I agree it can't render the same as a 200 f2.8, but the Sony 85 f1.8 does seem to do some fairly harsh things to OOF areas (never thought I'd become a bokeh seeker).

samyang vs. viltrox

568g vs. 636g weight
99.5mm vs. ~100mm length
88mm vs. ~80mm diameter

Check out the Samyang 135mm f2, stellar glass for reasonable money

Opinions/views and images here;
https://www.juzaphoto.com/recensione.php?l=en&t=samyang_135_f2

Peter

Last edited:
That 2nd one looks really good and almost looks like a painting. Love the colours.

thank you, personally prefer #1 as its slightly shaper (though flickr and posting on this forum kills a lot of the sharpness)

Back