The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

18 months between models being significantly upgraded is a joke when your shelling out that much on a camera!! I foresee the S/H market being flooded with A7Riii's knocking the secondhand values of all sony's for six, I'm just glad I got out chasing features & megapixels and turned to the dark side. (Leica M10 & M2)
I still have my A7RIII kit but only use it for remote shooting these days, I'm much happier shooting the two M's.

You don't have to buy a new one just because they release one.

Leica's aren't cameras, they're just functional ornaments. ;)

18 months between models being significantly upgraded is a joke when your shelling out that much on a camera!! I foresee the S/H market being flooded with A7Riii's knocking the secondhand values of all sony's for six, I'm just glad I got out chasing features & megapixels and turned to the dark side. (Leica M10 & M2)
I still have my A7RIII kit but only use it for remote shooting these days, I'm much happier shooting the two M's.
I have to say I was surprised earlier Sony replaced it so quickly. With Nikon you seemed to get 2-3 years between updates. I won’t be upgrading the A7RIII anytime soon. I got it used in Dec 2018 at 1/3 of the price of a new A7Riv so things aren’t that bad :) granted there are things I would like to be improved on the A7RIII but not at a cost of around £2k+. I still don’t get the fascination with megapixels. 40MP is more than plenty for a high MP camera. Why do we need 60MP?

If the rumours are true there are four cameras coming I would say that it likely includes updates the A73 and A9. I would be interested to see an update to the A6500 but only because it may drop the A6400 price slightly (I’m contemplating an A6400). Sony really need to be concentrating on get their lens line up complete.

Last edited:
If Sony had waited, or followed the Canon/Nikon model of 3-5 years between models then they wouldn't have

1 - Caught up so fast, each iteration they are getting more feedback and implement them in the next one. You can see this clearly the case between them all.
2 - Obtain the market share
3 - Which in turn keep the price lower.

They literally went from A7R to R4 in like what? 2013? That's only 6 years ago. In the same time there have only been 2 Canon/Nikon bodies of the same calibre. It took the 5D (2005) to 11 years, almost double the time to get there.

I like to keep my camera for longer, back of my mind knowing it is the latest and greatest too, but that also means the tech is stagnate as well. 6 years is a long time in tech and computers. So the owner in me hates new tech, but the geek in my loves it.

I have to say I was surprised earlier Sony replaced it so quickly. With Nikon you seemed to get 2-3 years between updates. I won’t be upgrading the A7RIII anytime soon. I got it used in Dec 2018 at 1/3 of the price of a new A7Riv so things aren’t that bad :) granted there are things I would like to be improved on the A7RIII but not at a cost of around £2k+. I still don’t get the fascination with megapixels. 40MP is more than plenty for a high MP camera. Why do we need 60MP?

If the rumours are true there are four cameras coming I would say that it likely includes updates the A73 and A9. I would be interested to see an update to the A6500 but only because it may drop the A6400 price slightly (I’m contemplating an A6400). Sony really need to be concentrating on get their lens line up complete.

I don’t think the a7iii will be updated just yet, I think it’ll be apsc and maybe another rx0/00.

A7iii is too new and still selling great. It'll not be revamped for another year. APSC body and A9ii is my guess.

Any word on battery life and/or shutter roll with the a7iv?

each iteration they are getting more feedback and implement them in the next one. You can see this clearly the case between them all.

Really? I don't see it... Touchscreen? 4K 60p? 4:2:2? lossless compression (would be incredibly useful for such a high res body)? Focus stacking?

It's a given Sony would give us a better sensor with better IQ and AF.

They are as good at listening to feedback as my 22 month old son is at listening to my orders.

Last edited:
I’ve always fancy a MP king camera to do some nice cropping.

I have a feeling I be ordering this new a7riv just seeing what trade in i get for my a7iii first

I don’t think the a7iii will be updated just yet, I think it’ll be apsc and maybe another rx0/00.
Maybe not next week but the rumour was released from July to September. The A7RIII was released 3 months after the A7RIII so September wouldn’t be far off a similar timeframe to the A7RIII. The A9II has been rumoured for September for a while too. That seems a weird one with further A9 firmware updates coming this summer but then the olympics are coming up.

A larger body APS-C camera would be good. I’m thinking of the A6400 for that as the price is right but a larger body would be nice.

Really? I don't see it... Touchscreen? 4K 60p? 4:2:2? lossless compression (would be incredibly useful for such a high res body)? Focus stacking?

They are as good at listening to feedback as my 22 month old son is at listening to my orders.

Battery, ergonomics, colour science, IBIS, improved AF every time, regular firmware updates now too.

Oh, and Dual UHS-II card slots :p

Last edited:
Some shots from Goodwood event on Saturday.
All shot on my A7RIII+85GM @f1.4, 1/125s, 5 stop ND filter

48281904622_88ed53edd5_b.jpg

48281898627_b3a3f2d48c_b.jpg

48292529511_8b024f6b1c_b.jpg

48292610782_eedab8e631_b.jpg

48292519471_3bbbcea123_b.jpg

Battery, ergonomics, colour science, IBIS, improved AF every time, regular firmware updates now too.

Better AF and also IQ is pretty much a given. They won't get very far if they don't improve in either of the areas with new iterations.

Battery - OK, I'll give you that one

Ergonomics - I'd argue its got worst from gen1 to gen3. But on the whole it still sucks which is widely accepted.

IBIS - meh, some people care about this and some people don't. Left up to me I'd get rid of it for a lighter smaller body. As far as I am concerned they actually ruined the e-mount FF bodies by adding it. But let's give you this as well for argument sake.

regular firmware updates - they have given one big fw update. its a one time thing don't hold you breath for another one. but it was a welcome one.

So they roughly fix one thing per iteration. So I need to wait till A7RX for everything to be fixed? lol

Better AF and also IQ is pretty much a given. They won't get very far if they don't improve in either of the areas with new iterations.

Battery - OK, I'll give you that one

Ergonomics - I'd argue its got worst from gen1 to gen3. But on the whole it still sucks which is widely accepted.

IBIS - meh, some people care about this and some people don't. Left up to me I'd get rid of it for a lighter smaller body. As far as I am concerned they actually ruined the e-mount FF bodies by adding it. But let's give you this as well for argument sake.

regular firmware updates - they have given one big fw update. its a one time thing don't hold you breath for another one. but it was a welcome one.

So they roughly fix one thing per iteration. So I need to wait till A7RX for everything to be fixed? lol

The AF, i guess you never had a 5D2…that was barely any better from the 5D.

IBIS…ask the Canon users…they would love to have it.

The Firmware is now on v3 and i only had the camera just over a year.

Just look at the difference between A7R to A7R4 in 6 years.

And look at Canon or Nikon cameras and their progress in the same 6 years.

The AF, i guess you never had a 5D2…that was barely any better from the 5D.

IBIS…ask the Canon users…they would love to have it.

The Firmware is now on v3 and i only had the camera just over a year.

Just look at the difference between A7R to A7R4 in 6 years.

And look at Canon or Nikon cameras and their progress in the same 6 years.

Not going to comment on canon.

Nikon D850 is on the whole is a better camera than A7RIII.

A7III was the first mirrorless to match D750. Till which point D750 was the best "do it all" body.

Last edited:
Not going to comment on canon.

Nikon D850 is on the whole is a better camera than A7RIII.

Well, as a long time Canon user I can tell you what I am seeing it is much better than what Canon is/was doing.

I am not going to comment on the D850 as I never own one.

I can only comment on what I have/had.

That A7R4 looks a beast. Has Sony sorted out lossless compression yet, if not those 61mp files are going to be well over 100mb I’d have thought o_O:eek:

Well, as a long time Canon user I can tell you what I am seeing it is much better than what Canon is/was doing.

In terms of outright performance and IQ the D850 is the best camera I’ve ever used. Sure there are some cameras that can do this bit better or that bit better but as a package the D850 will take some beating.

Well it's actually Sony that has actually been playing catch-up to DSLRs so far. They have just started to match them or surpass them. Now they have caught up and proved mirrorless can match DSLRs they are ahead in the mirrorless game in which canikon are behind.
The issue for Nikon is that while their DSLRs match up nicely to Sony mirrorless it's not seen as the future and now they are having to play catch up to Sony in the mirrorless world instead. But their DSLR users won't swap to bodies that don't match their own DSLRs. Bit of a chicken-egg situation.

I think canon is the same except their sensors sucks too :p

Last edited:
In terms of outright performance and IQ the D850 is the best camera I’ve ever used. Sure there are some cameras that can do this bit better or that bit better but as a package the D850 will take some beating.
Indeed and A7RIV might just be that body ;)

That A7R4 looks a beast. Has Sony sorted out lossless compression yet, if not those 61mp files are going to be well over 100mb I’d have thought o_O:eek:
No might need to wait till A7RX to get that update :p

Tbh I don't have a massive issue with their lossy compression which works rather well in 99% of the cases.

Well it's actually Sony that has actually been playing catch-up to DSLRs so far. They have just started to match them or surpass them. Now they have caught up and proved mirrorless can match DSLRs they are ahead in the mirrorless game in which canikon are behind.
The issue for Nikon is that while their DSLRs match up nicely to Sony mirrorless it's not seen as the future and now they are having to play catch up to Sony in the mirrorless world instead. But their DSLR users won't swap to bodies that don't match their own DSLRs. Bit of a chicken-egg situation.

I think canon is the same except their sensors sucks too :p
Tbh the Nikon Z’s aren’t ‘that’ far off, I’ve been surprised by the Z7 and for me it performs better than stats would have you believe. I wouldn’t be surprised if the gen2 models are a match for Sony.

Tbh the Nikon Z’s aren’t ‘that’ far off, I’ve been surprised by the Z7 and for me it performs better than stats would have you believe. I wouldn’t be surprised if the gen2 models are a match for Sony.

They might well do :)
But how many users will they have lost to Sony by then?
Also lens line up is still bad (i.e. lacks options) plus both their f4 zoom lenses being not so good at f4 i.e. wide open (please don't reply with your only perfect copy in the world since I'll never get that, I am very much a believer in averages lol)

Last edited:
They might well do :)
But how many users will they have lost to Sony by then?
Also lens line up is still bad with both their zoom lenses being not so good at f4 i.e. wide open (please don't reply with your only perfect copy in the world since I'll never get that, I am very much a believer in averages lol)
I’m not the only one with a good copy lol. I’ve only heard of praise of the lens from other users tbh.

Lens line up is still poor yeah. But it’s not like Nikon have been slow to react in the past, it’s not like they had the lions share of the pro market but were slow to develop a decent AF system and lost the majority of the market to Canon ;)

Do u use any of the above features?

Name me a camera out there that's perfect and does everything.

All cameras have flaws im afraid

Do u use any of the above features?

Name me a camera out there that's perfect and does everything.

All cameras have flaws im afraid
That’s because whatever they do someone always wants better or something different.

We’ve now got cameras that will give you high res FF images with huge DR, shooting at 8-20fps with amazingly fast and accurate AF, 4K video, more customisable options than I’ve had hot dinners, weather proofing, wireless transfer, crystal clear viewfinders, etc etc yet this is still not good enough and is ‘flawed’. It’s bonkers how critical we (and I include myself in this) are nowadays.

A7iii is too new and still selling great. It'll not be revamped for another year. APSC body and A9ii is my guess.

Any word on battery life and/or shutter roll with the a7iv?

Not seen anything in any of the videos etc I have seen that mentions the battery it’s the newer battery so assume will be decent enough.

Shutter roll is still an issue though that has cropped up in a few of the video reviews.

The GAS in this flock will be strong, so many in denial, I suggest you sort out your strategies to sneak an A73R IV past your wives, maybe start a support group, resistance is futile ;)

If Sony had waited, or followed the Canon/Nikon model of 3-5 years between models then they wouldn't have

1 - Caught up so fast, each iteration they are getting more feedback and implement them in the next one. You can see this clearly the case between them all.
2 - Obtain the market share
3 - Which in turn keep the price lower.

They literally went from A7R to R4 in like what? 2013? That's only 6 years ago. In the same time there have only been 2 Canon/Nikon bodies of the same calibre. It took the 5D (2005) to 11 years, almost double the time to get there.

I like to keep my camera for longer, back of my mind knowing it is the latest and greatest too, but that also means the tech is stagnate as well. 6 years is a long time in tech and computers. So the owner in me hates new tech, but the geek in my loves it.
That’s a good point that mirrorless is new technology compared to DSLRs hence shorter time periods between models. It’s just a shame that they are expecting similar prices new when there is a shorter model life than DSLR’s. To be honest I wont be upgrading any time soon and will end up miss 1 or maybe 2 generations at this rate.

What do you expect them to do? Just sit on their hands while the competition catch up and take the lead? Sadly Sony just like other companies are in business to make money otherwise the second hand kit market is all we'll be left with.

Sorry if that rocks your world but look on the bright side... for people with plenty of money there's new toys to buy and play with and good luck to them and people who are quite happy with their kit can sit and watch from the sidelines.

Back