The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

As I mentioned above I've never been affected by rolling shutter if that's what you mean by distortion but I'd include any problems with motion causes by the electronic shutter in that. For people who shoot subjects that are electronic shutter/distortion sensitive then yes it's a problem but for relatively slow moving people indoors it probably wont be an issue and that's one of my main uses for it because the noise of the mechanical shutter could be intrusive. Outside when there are other noises and distractions my A7's noise is rarely a problem :D

I have my Panasonic cameras set to electronic pretty much all the time and only switch to mechanical when I want to use the flash.

Just a Fuji X100V going forwards. Back to basics with a single 35mm equiv lens.
Worst case scenario, if this doesn’t make me feel any different in terms of getting my photography mojo back, it’s better to have £1.5k approx laying in draw vs £8k+ lol.

I don't think I could do that (even though I 90% shoot A7&40/1.2) but I do see the appeal of it :)

As I mentioned above I've never been affected by rolling shutter if that's what you mean by distortion but I'd include any problems with motion causes by the electronic shutter in that. For people who shoot subjects that are electronic shutter/distortion sensitive then yes it's a problem but for relatively slow moving people indoors it probably wont be an issue and that's one of my main uses for it because the noise of the mechanical shutter could be intrusive. Outside when there are other noises and distractions my A7's noise is rarely a problem :D

I have my Panasonic cameras set to electronic pretty much all the time and only switch to mechanical when I want to use the flash.

No, it's different. Your responses seem to imply that we are all doing something wrong because you haven't experienced it. It's not a new thing, I have had this issue with A7III and A7RII.

It's clearly documented here: https://www.jmpeltier.com/disadvantages-silent-electronic-shutter/

Use it indoors, enjoy correcting all that banding (y)

Whilst out yesterday morning another photographer got talking to me. I’d met him last year following Otters. Last year he was interested in what kit I was using and once again he asked what it was. During the general chit chat he asked about tracking birds in flight with the A9 (I haven’t done birds in flight for several years now so don’t know the answer) and mentioned that he wasn’t going to mirrorless the tech isn’t there yet mainly because the EVF lags behind an optical viewfinder. I’ve never really thought about it. I guess an EVF will always lag behind an optical viewfinder because it has to process the image the EVF shows but what length of lag are we talking?

No, it's different. Your responses seem to imply that we are all doing something wrong because you haven't experienced it. It's not a new thing, I have had this issue with A7III and A7RII.

It's clearly documented here: https://www.jmpeltier.com/disadvantages-silent-electronic-shutter/

Use it indoors, enjoy correcting all that banding (y)

Oh dear...

Thanks for the link but I know what it is and have done for years since I first saw it with my GX7 which was the first quality camera I had with a silent shutter. I do know what the issues can be and I do know what they're caused by.

Just to be clear. I'm not implying you or all of you (all of you, really?) are doing anything wrong and in fact I clearly said that for people who shoot subjects that are electronic shutter/distortion sensitive then yes it's a problem. Did you miss that bit? It's just it's rarely a problem for me and if I'm at a new place and I think it could be I can and sometimes do shoot a couple of test shots and if there's banding I can switch to mechanical.

I've had shots ruined by banding and no I don't enjoy correcting it as I've never been able to correct it as it can be shot ruining but for places and subjects when either subject movement or flickering artificial lighting aren't an issue I find the silent electronic shutter to a great feature.

Sorry if all that's upset you but you have to remember it's just my experience and with different gear. If it's an issue for you with your gear then don't use it and let me look forward to the day when I have it on all my kit and the option to use it as and when I see fit :D

Last edited:
Whilst out yesterday morning another photographer got talking to me. I’d met him last year following Otters. Last year he was interested in what kit I was using and once again he asked what it was. During the general chit chat he asked about tracking birds in flight with the A9 (I haven’t done birds in flight for several years now so don’t know the answer) and mentioned that he wasn’t going to mirrorless the tech isn’t there yet mainly because the EVF lags behind an optical viewfinder. I’ve never really thought about it. I guess an EVF will always lag behind an optical viewfinder because it has to process the image the EVF shows but what length of lag are we talking?

I haven't got any links but I'm sure I've read that the lag is insignificant for most stuff and less than it takes the signal from your brain to reach your finger to press the button. I think I read that :D The only time I can really see it is at small apertures in low light when you get that slow stuttering effect but to be fair to mirrorless if I had a DSLR set to f8 in that light I'd see nothing so I suppose a stuttering laggy evf can be better than a black ovf.

This is a different thing to evf lag but I tried a someones DSLR with f2.8 lens a week ago and it took me a while to work out why I couldn't see what I was pointing the camera at. At least with my MFT camera I could see it stuttering display and noise and all but I could see it and clearer than I could by eye.

There is also the distortion issue with silent shutters. Too much potential for things to go wrong IMO.

The A9 doesn’t suffer from distortion as far as I know. That’s the A73 etc using silent.

All depends what you are shooting I guess. The silent shutter is just so ideal for me.

Well shooting a wedding solo today during Storm Ciara was an 'experience' :ROFLMAO:

Over at DPR a few days ago the Fuji X100V was the best fixed lens compact camera ever but then it's a missed opportunity.

Oh dear... This seems such a familiar story with just about all kit... First we get the excitement and then the odd grumble creeps in and then becomes a torrent and we realise it's a disappointment but eventually over time maybe things will settle down and it'll be almost wonderful again but with a few known gripes. If we're lucky :D

Over at DPR a few days ago the Fuji X100V was the best fixed lens compact camera ever but then it's a missed opportunity.

Oh dear... This seems such a familiar story with just about all kit... First we get the excitement and then the odd grumble creeps in and then becomes a torrent and we realise it's a disappointment but eventually over time maybe things will settle down and it'll be almost wonderful again with a few known gripes. If we're lucky :D

It's always best ever + missed opportunity because every time they improved something, they then realised there is something else. It is human nature. Even A74 is a missed opportunity for not having XQD cards or smaller RAW file size. Even the Z7 is a missed opportunity for not having dual card slots. Even A73 is a missed opportunity for not having dual UHS-II slots and better EVF.

Human nature.

I look at it like how good this camera be if I could have got it 5 or 10 years ago, imagine if this was mk1. It would be best ever.

Last edited:
It's always best ever + missed opportunity because every time they improved something, they then realised there is something else. It is human nature. Even A74 is a missed opportunity for not having XQD cards or smaller RAW file size. Even the Z7 is a missed opportunity for not having dual card slots. Even A73 is a missed opportunity for not having dual UHS-II slots and better EVF.

Human nature.

I look at it like how good this camera be if I could have got it 5 or 10 years ago, imagine if this was mk1. It would be best ever.

You could argue that they’re tactical omissions rather than missed opportunities.

Dear Sony Imaging PRO Support Member,

To reflect today's mirrorless system choice among our users, we would like to inform you about the decision to remove several A-Mount products from our program concerning new registrations:

SLT-A77V, ILCA-77M2, SLT-A99V, SAL100M28, SAL135F28, SAL1680Z, SAL16F28, SAL24F20Z, SAL35F14G, SAL50F14Z, SAL70200G / 2, SAL85F14Z

Additionally, to accommodate the line-up changes since the start, the following E-mount products won't be eligible anymore for new registrations:

ILCE-7R, ILCE-7S, ILCE-7, ILCE-7M2, ILCE-6500, SEL2470Z, SEL70200G, SEL1635Z

If you have already registered any of these products, you won't be affected, and you will still be receiving support. This includes the annual renewal of your membership.

Interesting..

Can understand why they are now going to rule out the old A7 bodies but the 70-200 f/4 isn't that old and is reasonably expensive.

Last edited:
Got an internal dilemma on lenses.

Samyang 18mm 2.8, Tamron 20mm 2.8 or stick with the Tokina 20mm firin MF that just arrived :thinking:

The others aren't going anywhere, I'd give the Tokina a good testing and see how you feel.

I'm looking to move on my 24-70GM and get the Tamron 28-75 to free up some cash for another purchase. I've got a request in Price Checks but I'd appreciate some views on a price from you people.
Trade price is around £1100..... so I would pitch it around £1250 used, grey imports are around £1300 approx. :)

I'm looking to move on my 24-70GM and get the Tamron 28-75 to free up some cash for another purchase. I've got a request in Price Checks but I'd appreciate some views on a price from you people.

I'm considering getting rid of my Tamron for the Sony or Sigma.

Trade price is around £1100..... so I would pitch it around £1250 used, grey imports are around £1300 approx. :)

Trade price is £1000 in excellent condition, last couple on ebay have gone for £1100. £1250 won't sell it.

Thanks for the replies, MPB have offered me £1060.
£1060 seems resonable.
When you factor in recorded, tracked and insured postage and then the headache of packaging it..... sometimes its easier to trade in.
I traded in all 4 of my G Master lenses in, for me it was easier as I just dropped them off at my local camera dealership. I was about £200 down compared to selling them privately.

How's the Fuji doing? It's early days yet I suppose but I wondered if you had any early thoughts.

There's an A6000 + Zeiss 32mm f1.8 and Sigma 19mm f2.8 in the for sale section.

I don't know why I keep wanting one. I have two MFT RF style cameras which I'm sure handle better for me and I have just about all the lenses I need for MFT from 14 to 400mm but I still keep looking at the A6xxx's when they come up for sale :D

Back