The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

If that was the case surely then they would have sorted the 85 1.8?

Have they released a new FW for the lens? IME Sony is very lazy with FW updates, its only really since the rii theyve done some major body updates (which is great). Not sure theyd consider the 85 1.8 worth the additional R&D effort. With new releases its no extra money to just dev a profile or whatever they are doing at FW stage. Who knows mate.

Last edited:
sure but even with organised shoot you can never get all the same images. If she can use the trick to save a few good ones from her first shoot it still worth it.

Yeah anything she can do would be good as she is worried about what the client thinks she was in a bit of a panic about it. Obviously it doesn’t look great. She is a newbie that we have been helping a bit, I had to sit with her while she phoned the client as she was so nervous about it. To be fair the client was fine on the phone but even still it doesn’t look great.

Have they released a new FW for the lens? IME Sony is very lazy with FW updates, its only really since the rii theyve done some major body updates (which is great). Not sure theyd consider the 85 1.8 worth the additional R&D effort. With new releases its no extra money to just dev a profile or whatever they are doing at FW stage. Who knows mate.

I would of thought with that 85 being so popular it would have been one they would have fixed if they could but like you say who knows.

I would of thought with that 85 being so popular it would have been one they would have fixed if they could but like you say who knows.

I shot a lot of backlit stuff and did keep an eye out just for the hell but never noticed it, great lens, crazy fast AF.

It's evident in all the lenses i've tried. It's the sensor. Some worse than others.

This forum is only good for 1 thing...make you worry about things that you never have for 2 years having the system....so my conclusion is not worry about it.

Y7EkZAQ.png

zywVoV9.jpg

uvlbL7o.png

ZB2tzxh.jpg

pPfK9H7.png

wkxWUJM.jpg

61sxAuh.png

DWMKVGQ.jpg

It's evident in all the lenses i've tried. It's the sensor. Some worse than others.

This forum is only good for 1 thing...make you worry about things that you never have for 2 years having the system....so my conclusion is not worry about it.

Y7EkZAQ.png

zywVoV9.jpg

uvlbL7o.png

ZB2tzxh.jpg

pPfK9H7.png

wkxWUJM.jpg

61sxAuh.png

DWMKVGQ.jpg

100%, nobody whos printing / paying would ever see that unless you point it out. 24/70 IQ looks nice.

Last edited:
I shot a lot of backlit stuff and did keep an eye out just for the hell but never noticed it, great lens, crazy fast AF.

I haven’t used it for any portrait stuff really other than one wedding when I first switched to Sony and a couple of engagement sessions. Its’s good for shooting the dogs because of the fast a.f.

I haven’t used it for any portrait stuff really other than one wedding when I first switched to Sony and a couple of engagement sessions. Its’s good for shooting the dogs because of the fast a.f.

Yeah, its no 85 ART, which is top class but that FE AF is fast... plus weight... size... video AF is also good, best cheap 85 Ive used across all systems.

A mate of mine shot an engagement session yesterday and the session was at sunset and she shot pretty much everything with the Sigma 24-70.

All of the images were purposely shot backlit and none of them are usable as pretty much every photo suffers really badly with striping. She is an a full scale panic as she isn’t the most technical and she thought that there was a fault with her gear.

I wasn’t aware of this with this lens, I know you can get it a bit with the 85 1.8. I did a bit of digging this morning and apparently this is a really common issue with this lens.

Anyone here have the Siggy 24-70 and noticed this?
I always thought it was a sensor issue than an optics issue. :thinking:
I know what it is but general consensus seems to be that it is much worse with certain lenses the 85f/1.8 and the Siggy being particularly bad.
I too thought it was the on sensor PDAF too, why would lenses influence this?

I've not noticed it on my Sony yet, but I did on a couple of images on the Z7 when pushed in PP.

It may be due to the angle of light from the rear element - an optic with a small element will shine light at more of an angle, while a large element will project more nearly vertically. I have no idea which is better.

I've not noticed it on my Sony yet, but I did on a couple of images on the Z7 when pushed in PP.

I honestly have no idea but everything I read on it earlier on suggested that some lenses are worse than others.

I actually have only come across it on a couple of occasions but I can’t remember which lens it was.

Last edited:
A review on a lens that has been out for over three years being compared against a twelve month old and six year old lens. What am I missing?
On the other hand a comparison between the 70-350 & 100-400 looks interesting - https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63583280?image=3

The fun of it?

It's just a short vid, no need to question life, the universe and everything and sometimes the oddness of something maybe makes it at least passably interesting.

Last edited:
Random question:

I have a Nikon P950 itch to scratch, mainly because we get all sorts of interesting aircraft over and it would be fun to sit in the garden and try and ID them whilst getting some passable images, and also that I live on the edge of a massive hill with views for many, many miles. Given that I have a 42mp full frame sensor or two here anyway, is there is an affordable way of getting to an equivalent focal length with equivalent-ish quality?

Random question:

I have a Nikon P950 itch to scratch, mainly because we get all sorts of interesting aircraft over and it would be fun to sit in the garden and try and ID them whilst getting some passable images, and also that I live on the edge of a massive hill with views for many, many miles. Given that I have a 42mp full frame sensor or two here anyway, is there is an affordable way of getting to an equivalent focal length with equivalent-ish quality?

Doubt it, especially not affordably. Thats a 2000mm equivalent. Even a X-500mm zoom and 2x TC getting you to 1000mm is going to cost a lot... guess you couldcrop heavily then to get to 2000mm.

Last edited:
Doubt it, especially not affordably. Thats a 2000mm equivalent. Even a X-500mm zoom and 2x TC getting you to 1000mm is going to cost a lot... guess you couldcrop heavily then to get to 2000mm.

Yeah I was thinking of cropping, the sensor is 30 times bigger on the a7RII, so that feels like quite a bit of wiggle room with a long enough lens.

trying out my new tamron 70-180mm in the garden
Even though these shots don't show it was shooting my toddler son and I must the AF is fantastic. I dare say feels better and stickier than the 70-200GM I had. Incredible little lens all round!

All shot at 180mm and f2.8 close to MFD

1/200s
50046504928_3d76caa6b9_b.jpg

1/100s
50046504168_4534560c80_b.jpg

1/100s
50047065996_2059ef2a4a_b.jpg

Last edited:
^ excellent set, makes me wish I needed one!
I 'need' one but I'm waiting for the price to come down. All events I was going to this year have been cancelled anyway so I'm in no rush (y)

trying out my new tamron 70-180mm in the garden
Even though these shots don't show it was shooting my toddler son and I must the AF is fantastic. I dare say feels better and stickier than the 70-200GM I had. Incredible little lens all round!

All shot at 180mm and f2.8 close to MFD

1/200s
50046504928_3d76caa6b9_b.jpg

1/100s
50046504168_4534560c80_b.jpg

1/100s
50047065996_2059ef2a4a_b.jpg

I was talking to a guy using one on an r4 and he said it struggles with lower contrast scenes for AF, have you found that at all?

I was talking to a guy using one on an r4 and he said it struggles with lower contrast scenes for AF, have you found that at all?

A lot of zooms do and even some primes (especially samyang ones). I didn't notice it to be especially worst or better than others I have used. Seems to do well indoors tracking eyes of my son.
If you have any specific scenario I can reproduce I am happy to try and report back :)

Here's 4 pics i took today on the new 10-18mm.
After I ordered yesterday I was watching some Youtube vids about it and there was a fair bit of chat about examples with soft edges. I'm concerned my lens may have this issue so before I reject it I wanted to get your opinions please?

In particular you can see it in the trees...
These are all unedited, straight out of the camera.

DSC04682 by Steve B, on Flickr

DSC04777 by Steve B, on Flickr

10mm:
DSC04745 by Steve B, on Flickr

Same at 18mm
DSC04744 by Steve B, on Flickr

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 with No.4 close up filter.

eeZ4rGm.jpg

4XHGgP1.jpg

I hadn't used these close up filters for a long time but the No.4 is becoming a favourite to use with the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4.

One without it.

adqK2HD.jpg

I also used my 55mm f1.8 today but I found it a bit tight as I was just automatically at 35mm distance.

Last edited:
Back