The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

hWnDuQ

So my Sony a7rii and 35mm 1.4 Distagon have arrived! Battery is in charge so will have a play later!
Went to Wales on Tuesday with a friend to purchase a sublimation printer, printing on aluminium gloss looks rather good! took my 70d so here's an image.
https://ibb.co/hWnDuQ

All wrong, currently in the middle of an electrical storm but i don't seem to be catching any lightning, 30s/F/4 ISO 100 :confused:. Unless the Sony monitor just isn't catching it.

That should have worked. :thinking:
Change to 2000's! Or 1000's maybe 500 but at 30th you are dragging. Fire at will like a machine gun
Jeez, how many images during a half hour storm? And to get those speeds at night, the ISO would have to go up. :eek:

The 30 sec exposure has worked for me with lightning in the past, don't know why the Sony didn't work. :confused:

Last edited:
Didn't read it was at night my bad. I'm half asleep.

You will want to set an exposure time for between 20 and 30 seconds, for which a normal shot without lightning will be totally black. The settings I find that usually work for me are around f/7, ISO100 and 30s for lighting that is very powerful and very close, down to about f/5, ISO100 and 30s for lighting that is a bit farther off in the distance.

Wait. Diddnt you buy a d850?

Yep, its gone back, it just wasn't right, struggled to get any AF consistency out of it despite spending hours on AF fine-tune, won't have that issue with a 21/35/50 Loxia trio.

Well i took about 100 long exposure photos last night, settings were all ISO100, F/4 to F/8 ish and between 20 and 30 seconds, the lightning was frequent, as in probably 30 strikes per minute, and i got one exposure with a little bit of lightning, hmmm. I'm sure i'll have plenty of time to practice though as there's lightning forecast all week :D

37351264142_32a49a243a_b.jpg

And i've got this beauty to play with when i get my proper pc back, it's difficult to edit on a laptop with no mouse pen lol.

37381168361_a94a56fd0a_b.jpg

Definitely the best view that £40 a night can buy you lol.

suddenly started getting the 'incompatible battery' warning when turning my A7RII on. Using two legit sony batteries and grip. Any permanent fix to this? Currently sliding the batteries out and back in seem to fix it but same thing again next time I turn it on.

Last edited:
suddenly stated getting the 'incompatible battery' warning when turning my A7RII on. Using two legit sony batteries and grip. Any permanent fix to this? Currently sliding the batteries out and back in seem to fix it but same thing again next time I turn it on.

Latest firmware?

Just on lightening shots...

It depends on how close it is and with a wide angle you may be more likely to capture it but it could be small in the frame. I remember capturing lightening using my Sigma 12-24mm and then hunting around the frame looking for it. Pointing a longer lens in the right direction and hoping is an option as is cropping. Giving up is another option :D

More on the Voigtlander 65mm f2.

I'm still reading anything I can find and I'm impressed :D It may not be as good as the Coastal Optics 60mm f4 and may not leave the more everyday Sony 55mm completely out of sight but as a very good 65mm lens that's capable of close focusing (which the Sony 55mm can't do) it maybe makes a lot of sense. Some seem to be saying it's an odd focal length but I don't think it's all that odd :D and I'm sure there are other lenses of about that length and without thinking too much 58mm lenses and the Oly x2 crop 30mm macro spring easily to mind.

Is this lens on anyones radar?

More on the Voigtlander 65mm f2.

I'm still reading anything I can find and I'm impressed :D It may not be as good as the Coastal Optics 60mm f4 and may not leave the more everyday Sony 55mm completely out of sight but as a very good 65mm lens that's capable of close focusing (which the Sony 55mm can't do) it maybe makes a lot of sense. Some seem to be saying it's an odd focal length but I don't think it's all that odd :D and I'm sure there are other lenses of about that length and without thinking too much 58mm lenses and the Oly x2 crop 30mm macro spring easily to mind.

Is this lens on anyones radar?

I think I could get on with the FL quite well had it been f1.4 and autofocus. That would've been amazing.

I think I could get on with the FL quite well had it been f1.4 and autofocus. That would've been amazing.

For a while 50/55mm on MFT was my most used lens, I took thousands of shots with that sort of combo. If I had this 65mm lens I'd use it as a general walk about including for pictures of flowers, leaves and interesting stuff pictures which is what I tend to take and of course with a 50mm lens I need to crop as they generally don't focus all that close. This is one reason why I looked at the Sony 50mm macro but it just didn't work for me as the focus was all over the place. I'd also use this 65mm for people pictures. It looks a bit on the large side for me and I don't really need best in the world image quality. It does look to be a very good lens though and I think it'd be a shame if people wrote it off as an odd focal length.

Last edited:
Fe85 1.8 ordered. Looks a cracking lens, especially the programmable button. Think the 55 would've been to close to my 35 ART with the humongous cropping ability of the a7rii.

Back