The Branch Line That Won't Die

Ian D J

Michael Fish
Name
Ian D J
Edit My Images
Yes
Been a while since I posted what I consider to be rather "special" photos in my eyes.

A Class 73 electric diesel loco, with a motor luggage van attached to it made it's way down the now-disused Folkestone Harbour branch line today (24th Feb '12). It was the first time in two years such a working took place.

Class%2B73%2B2.jpg

Class%2B73%2B3.jpg

However, this short trip didn't come without it's troubles as the third rail pick-up shoe had got sheared off on a piece of buckled rusty third rail. Lucky that the loco was able to run on diesel power anyway, but the line nearly wrecked the poor thing as it limped back up the infamous 1 in 33 incline!

Here's a couple more photos involving more "experimental" processing (including HDR based on three bracketted shots . . . yes I know, I know).

Class%2B73%2B4.jpg

Class%2B73%2B5.jpg

I used my Lumix TZ45 for this one. I really must use my D3100 more often, though!
Like I said, these photos are unique to me as this could well be the last time a train will run on this stretch of line. Don't think Network Rail will want to run any of their stock on it after today's mishap!

Overall I'm really liking the set, I cannot help but love train pictures of all kinds I don't know why but I've always loved trains It's make all the more interesting because of the back story that you've given with the events of the day (y) I'm not a fan of the HDR processed one though I betting that you've use photomatix as it looks just like a photomatix HDR :bonk:

Matt
MWHCVT

Incredibly for me I prefer the hdr one to all the rest, I think you have actually added to the picture which was in essence a record shot in dull light. Although origianl exposure processing etc bang on this hdr lifts it a lot.

Well done

Nigel

Some great shots

I know that line

I live in ashford

Back