The Camera At War

Name
daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
I read a lot, so I decided to pop in to a local book store today where all books are a pound. They didn't have many books on photography at all, but I managed to dig out these two. The war photography book by Jorge Lewinski is a bit brutal, to say the least, but very interesting. I have always had a fascination with war. Haven't looked through the other one yet.

What photography books are others reading, or have read?

TheCameraAtWar.jpg

1696617423338.jpg

I found this a great read. It details Addario's journey to becoming a war photographer and how it changed her.

I think I have far more books than I should!

I enjoy anecdotal books. I like hearing the stories behind the images. Phillipe Halsmann's "Sight & Insight" is my favourite. Brian Griffin's "Black Country Da Da" a close second (I have a signed copy!).

For just picture books Elliot Erwitt's "Personal Best" and "Found Not Lost" for my favourite Street Photography, Jane Bown's "A Lifetime of Looking" and Andy Gotts' "Degrees" for portraits. For other work that's difficult to categorise, Diane Arbus' "An Aperture Monograph" and Fay Godwin/Toulson's "The Drovers Roads of Wales" are up there. I also really enjoyed Gavin Watson's "Skins & Punks" documenting his youth in High Wycombe which was where I grew up. So much good stuff out there.

Bruce Barnbaum's "The Art of Photography" and Ansel Adams' trilogy (The Camera, The Negative and The Print) are the best of the "instruction" books I've come across.

I have always had a fascination with war
I'd heartily recommend Clive Limpkin's "The Battle of Bogside" telling the story of his reporting of the troubles in Northern Ireland. Scary stuff being a war photographer, especially in that war.

Edit: The Limpkin book is at silly prices on Amazon. You can get it direct from the publisher for a very reasonable price: https://ghpress.com/shop/product/battle-of-bogside/

Last edited:
John Hedgecoe did good books back in the day I have a couple from the old film only pre internet days.
That is good to hear, because I started reading it last night.

I think I have far more books than I should!

I enjoy anecdotal books. I like hearing the stories behind the images. Phillipe Halsmann's "Sight & Insight" is my favourite. Brian Griffin's "Black Country Da Da" a close second (I have a signed copy!).

For just picture books Elliot Erwitt's "Personal Best" and "Found Not Lost" for my favourite Street Photography, Jane Bown's "A Lifetime of Looking" and Andy Gotts' "Degrees" for portraits. For other work that's difficult to categorise, Diane Arbus' "An Aperture Monograph" and Fay Godwin/Toulson's "The Drovers Roads of Wales" are up there. I also really enjoyed Gavin Watson's "Skins & Punks" documenting his youth in High Wycombe which was where I grew up. So much good stuff out there.

Bruce Barnbaum's "The Art of Photography" and Ansel Adams' trilogy (The Camera, The Negative and The Print) are the best of the "instruction" books I've come across.

I'd heartily recommend Clive Limpkin's "The Battle of Bogside" telling the story of his reporting of the troubles in Northern Ireland. Scary stuff being a war photographer, especially in that war.

Edit: The Limpkin book is at silly prices on Amazon. You can get it direct from the publisher for a very reasonable price: https://ghpress.com/shop/product/battle-of-bogside/
Thank you, I will take a look at some of these.

John Hedgecoe did good books back in the day I have a couple from the old film only pre internet days.
Have you read his book 'practical portrait photography'?

Looking for a cheap book on portrait photography.

For me, 50 or so years ago, it was a handed down copy of the 'Ilford Manual of Photography'. Fantastic wealth of knowlege on theory and practice and now useful information on cameras of that era.
I still dip in to it from time to time for the odd formula.

If you've not seen it - the Bang Bang Club is a great film based on the true story of four South African conflict photographers

The Bang-Bang Club was a group of four conflict photographers, Kevin Carter, Greg Marinovich, Ken Oosterbroek, and João Silva, active within the townships of South Africa between 1990 and 1994 during the transition from the apartheid system to democracy.[1]

images

Back