The Cathedral - HDR Warning

Good control over the HDR aspect and lovely reflections in the marble floor!

I also like the perspective - a fresh change from the norm

Seems ever so slightly tilted to the right to me? The reflection in the floor is a good idea but the floor isn't that shiny so it's quite a messy reflection. Maybe it would be better if it was a 50/50 split between the reflection and the real view? Not sure :/

Definitely somewhere good to have a camera though :D

Yep.. tilted to the right... too much floor for my liking. This was at 15 seconds and the cam was on the floor .. you really should aim to get this stuff right in camera. You have a virtual horizon on the D7000.. use it :) If the floor was wonky, get a grid up in PS or LR when editing.

It's not reflective enough to get away with the whole mirror thing, and just becomes noise... those reflection from the cupola are a distraction too. I'd crop it from the bottom up a bit.

Last edited:
I've just check the levelling on this and I cannot see that it's leaning there is some distortion in the corners but then this was shot at 10mm and that distortion really doesn't detract from the actual image, what I would say is with the use of HDR I'd have expected to and would have liked to have seen a bit of detail in the windows :shrug:

Overall however I like the image, and I like the composition/framing

Matt
MWHCVT

Thought this was going to be an awful cartoon looking HDR, doesn't look wonky to me either. I'd crop about half the floor off at the bottom it creates a much stronger image

This is one of those shots that shows some strange illusions with angles.
I have taken it into photoshop and removed some of the foreground as has been sugested. I also corrected the verticals, removed some of the excess yellow.

Though technically it is better, it does not look as good as the original.

I would just keep it much as it is.

I could post my alterations if you want me to.......

Well I'll be.....

Grid lines up perfectly.. remove grid, and looks wonky as hell to me. I was wondering how it managed to be wonky with the camera on the floor. I thought maybe the lens used made contact with the floor before the baseplate lay flat. Everyone here sees it as being leaning to the right too. Must be that floor patterning making some kind of optical illusion.

edit..

just removed the grid, rotated it anti-clockwise a little, and it "looks" straight even though the grid no longer lines up. LOL

Last edited:
This is really good (y)

Well I'll be.....

Grid lines up perfectly.. remove grid, and looks wonky as hell to me. I was wondering how it managed to be wonky with the camera on the floor. I thought maybe the lens used made contact with the floor before the baseplate lay flat. Everyone here sees it as being leaning to the right too. Must be that floor patterning making some kind of optical illusion.

edit..

just removed the grid, rotated it anti-clockwise a little, and it "looks" straight even though the grid no longer lines up. LOL

I think it looks wonky due to the lens distortion and not being dead centre in the aisle. The benches don't line up left and right so either the benches aren't evenly spaced or the shot wasn't made from the centre of the aisle.

Tis definitely confusing! :D

Pookeyhead said:
Yep.. tilted to the right... too much floor for my liking. This was at 15 seconds and the cam was on the floor .. you really should aim to get this stuff right in camera. You have a virtual horizon on the D7000.. use it :) If the floor was wonky, get a grid up in PS or LR when editing.

Brilliantly condescending.

you're welcome :)

You wouldn't be the first to put a camera on the floor and assume it's straight. Done it myself, and I'm sure many more have too.

This shot is still messing with my head BTW. I think if it was mine, I'd actually opt for it being wrong, so it looks right.. if you get me.

Last edited:
Lovely image but it hurts me to look at as it appears to lean to the right, but clearly it doesn't. I just can't make it work in my obviously faulty brain!

Same here... it's like.. I know it's right... but it looks wrong... Arrrrgh!

Dilemma... do you leave it knowing it's "right" and have people think it's wrong, or make it wrong, so people think it's right?

I'm glad it's not me having to make that choice.

Agree with Pookeyhead....grid it and it's straight, take the grid away and it leans. Human vision is a strange thing.

Ricardo, I'm always tentative when clicking on anything that says HDR warning, but in my opinion (for what it's worth), your image here is an example of how HDR should look. You've shown the interior of this place to full effect, and there's almost as much interest in the floor reflection as there is in the actual structure.

Cracking image.

yeah.. too caught up in the optical mind **** to comment on that. This is what HDR should be IMO. A way of getting more dynamic range... not an "effect".

Agree with Pookeyhead....grid it and it's straight, take the grid away and it leans. Human vision is a strange thing.

Ricardo, I'm always tentative when clicking on anything that says HDR warning, but in my opinion (for what it's worth), your image here is an example of how HDR should look. You've shown the interior of this place to full effect, and there's almost as much interest in the floor reflection as there is in the actual structure.

Cracking image.

yeah.. too caught up in the optical mind **** to comment on that. This is what HDR should be IMO. A way of getting more dynamic range... not an "effect".

Thank you folks! :)

Back