The Circle Of Light

Ian D J

Michael Fish
Name
Ian D J
Edit My Images
Yes
Yes, I know. Yet another light orb type photography :shake: :D . . . but this was my first attempt at it. Only needed the one take on both occasion (no failed or "misfired" shots)

Taken earlier on this evening (Apr 24th) using my Lumix TZ45, a cheap LED torch and a piece of string. It did me some good to get out of the house for a bit and it helped that it was calm, mild and dry at the time.

Orb+1.jpg

Orb+2.jpg

Last edited:
Really nice love the second works well with the location

Really like them and location on 2nd one. Must have a go.

Very nice first attempts! Really like the locations. Now roll on the addiction and all the bits and pieces buying. You will all of a sudden find your-self in front of a soldering iron building your own perfected Orb tool and keep finding new ways of doing things! Well that's what happened to me anyway over the last month and a half.... :bonk:

And yea its a brilliant way to get off the couch for a while (y)

Cheers for all the lovely comments! (y) :clap:

Indeed, I have also done some wire wool spinning and you're right, I've now got the desire to trawl through eBay looking for light-related stuff and experiment with it all! :bonk: :D

I love both of those. Too many of these shots take no account of the location, with the light trail being the only interest, but these work beautifully :)

Is there a hint guys, as to how this is achieved??(y)

Indeed, I can give you a few pointers . . .

I've figured out that I don't turn around on the same spot when spinning the light, but in actual fact I rotate around the outside while keeping the light nearest to the ground at the same spot. That is quite hard to explain but that way I get a better looking circle - and because I'm "walking around the outside" rather than turning around on the same spot, my body doesn't show up on the image.
The torch need to have a wide angle beam (narrow beam type torches will only show up the light in one small area). You only need to attach a piece of string to it. :D
I set the ISO fairly low (not too low as some of the location was very dark but not too high as to show up "noise"). Here it was 100 to 200.
I kept the aperture fairly wide (F3 to F5 the whole time) - it helps to make the most of what little surrounding light there is.
The exposure time were 30 to 40 seconds - and of course, a solid tripod is an absolute must. Set the timer to 10 seconds as that will give you enough time to position yourself and to start getting into the rhythm when spinning the torch around (not hitting the ground or the roof!) - by the time you know where you are and what you are doing - then the camera will get to work.
In this case I have been using the Lumix TZ45 and it was set to "M", but it is like an owl in that it can see very well in the dark when it comes to autofocusing! That way I didn't have to do any manual focusing and hoping for the best things wouldn't be out of focus (not at all easy when it's almost pitch black!).
Finally, and perhaps I am pointing out the obvious - but choose your location well. The more interesting, the better!

Oh! And wear black all over - that way your body doesn't show up in the capture.

Last edited:
Both of them are really good early attempts (y) they are nice locations for it too (y) it looks like you could do with a little more practice to get them that little bit more uniform but other than that top marks (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Both of them are really good early attempts (y) they are nice locations for it too (y) it looks like you could do with a little more practice to get them that little bit more uniform but other than that top marks (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Hi Matt and glad you like them! Indeed, it does feel like I've not quite got this itch scratched. I am wanting to go out there and try and get those orbs spot on.
Am going to give it another go but involving a fresh set of locations as soon as it becomes more summer-like (although that will mean me staying up late as the evenings become lighter!).

Hi Matt and glad you like them! Indeed, it does feel like I've not quite got this itch scratched. I am wanting to go out there and try and get those orbs spot on.
Am going to give it another go but involving a fresh set of locations as soon as it becomes more summer-like (although that will mean me staying up late as the evenings become lighter!).

Welcome to the world of the light painter/night artist :D I've lost count of the number of times that shoots have finished because the sun is coming up :bang:

Back