The Dolomites 2024

• Thread starter Deleted member 97794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 97794

So I've booked a trip to the Dolomites for a week on September 13th. We contemplated this last December but chose Gran Canaria as the Dolomites needed more planning than I had time for.

Basic itinerary is:

1 day in Venice (Because we're flying into Treviso)
2 days in Cortina d'ampezzo
2 days near Tre Cime
2 days in Alpe Di Suisi

I'm picking up a 4x4 from the airport as I'm basically following the workshop tour that Andy Mumford does. I figure he's been going every year for over ten years so knows the best locations. I just didn't fancy paying 5290 euros for the pleasure of his company for the week. On a side note, have you seen what some of these Youtube photographers are charging for their workshops??

Tips on locations, accommodation etc, gratefully received if anyone here has done this trip?

So I've booked a trip to the Dolomites for a week on September 13th. We contemplated this last December but chose Gran Canaria as the Dolomites needed more planning than I had time for.

Basic itinerary is:

1 day in Venice (Because we're flying into Treviso)
2 days in Cortina d'ampezzo
2 days near Tre Cime
2 days in Alpe Di Suisi

I'm picking up a 4x4 from the airport as I'm basically following the workshop tour that Andy Mumford does. I figure he's been going every year for over ten years so knows the best locations. I just didn't fancy paying 5290 euros for the pleasure of his company for the week. On a side note, have you seen what some of these Youtube photographers are charging for their workshops??

Tips on locations, accommodation etc, gratefully received if anyone here has done this trip?

It's a very well worn tripod hole, unless you need tuition you can piece together the tripod hole shots and find some of your own with a bit of walking/exploration. Have fun.

Absolutely mental place, you'll love it. I went in May last year, strong contender for my favourite trip abroad!

100% recommend doing a sunrise at Alpe di Siusi. There's hundreds of little huts dotted across the landscape, and the single track roads throughout are only accessible to residents after 9am - so get in early and out again otherwise it's a 3 figure fine:oops: :$

We did a wonderful hike from Lago Antorno > Rifugio Auronzo > Cadini di Misurina viewpoint. It's a bit of an Instagrammer hotspot as you can drive to Rifugio Auronzo then 20 min walk to the viewpoint, but it's worth visiting. We had waist deep snow and absolutely nobody else around, felt very lucky to be there!

I could go on but I'll leave it there for now :D

100% recommend doing a sunrise at Alpe di Siusi. There's hundreds of little huts dotted across the landscape, and the single track roads throughout are only accessible to residents after 9am - so get in early and out again otherwise it's a 3 figure fine:oops: :$
3 figures now. Was two figures back 2017. I think it catches the light better in the evening. The way round it is to take accommodation up there to get round it, and perhaps do both.

Absolutely mental place, you'll love it. I went in May last year, strong contender for my favourite trip abroad!

We did a wonderful hike from Lago Antorno > Rifugio Auronzo > Cadini di Misurina viewpoint. It's a bit of an Instagrammer hotspot as you can drive to Rifugio Auronzo then 20 min walk to the viewpoint, but it's worth visiting. We had waist deep snow and absolutely nobody else around, felt very lucky to be there!

I could go on but I'll leave it there for now :D
I can sense how much you enjoyed the trip from that post Chris... Thanks very much for your input. I'll make a note of those spots in my planning.

3 figures now. Was two figures back 2017. I think it catches the light better in the evening. The way round it is to take accommodation up there to get round it, and perhaps do both.
I understand this is a good sunrise and sunset location?

Light really catches the Langkofel peak in the evening. Sun comes up as you shoot into it in the morning, comes down behind you as you shoot in the evening.

I prefer to have the sun behind me or to my side rather than shoot face onto it.
Thanks very much Steve.

Back