The end of an era ...

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
As it is sunny today I thought I'd get the gutter cleared out (which is a nasty nasty job). So to cheer myself and my neighbours up ;) I thought I'd dig out my old 12" collection (a bit of Blue Monday etc) and give it a blast, only to find that my record deck had lost one channel :eek:.

On further investigation I found that the lugs that hold the cartridge in place had snapped so I need a new one.....

Now the era bit....

It's an late 80's Dual CS505-1 , to replace the cartridge I need to buy an adaptor then track down a low weight magnetic cartridge + matching stylus. I can't remember when I last saw a proper Audio shop and if I buy what "looks" like the bits from the web it'll cost over £100 :shake:

It was my first real bit of audio kit so I think I'm going to have a little cry tonight when the kids / Mrs G are in bed :crying:

Awww ...
sign0171.gif

08.gif

Can you photograph and post it? I have a couple of old decks up in the loft that might have a compatible part.

There are loads of proppa audio shops still about if you look hard enough (y)

Google for Pink Fish Media - it is a hifi forum full of friendly folk who can help you out...!
Look hard enough and you might find evidence of my presence..

I have just posted over there to see what anyone has to offer or advise, but if you do give up on it all, then let me know before you think about disposing of your vinyl please..!!

I have already been offered an old Technics MM cartridge for free....
Why do you need an adaptor, and for what ?

I am not sure what is what, but some Blue Monday singles are worth a few quid...
As for being sad - I have a three thousand lp's or so - must make me way sad...

Thanks for the offers guys , I'll take a photo later :).

The Dual CS505-1 didn't have a standard 1/2" cartridge mount , you've either got to get a genuine cartridge (based on the ortofon OM10 if I remember correctly) or get a widget that fits between the tone arm shell and a standard cartridge. I used to have a VMS 20 with an adaptor but one of the kids broke it years ago :(

I was all fired up to abuse the neighbours with "Blue Monday" followed by the 15 minute remix of "I feel Love" then the extended "Freebird" to make their brains melt :D

You mean the real version of Freebird shirley! Or maybe the extremely long live version?

The AT95E could sound damn good with the right equipment, far better than it's price tag would have you believe.

Is the saddos thread then?
:LOL:

Are you going to make use of it once you've gone to all this effort to get it working mrgrubby? Hope so :)

You mean the real version of Freebird shirley! Or maybe the extremely long live version?

The AT95E could sound damn good with the right equipment, far better than it's price tag would have you believe.

Is the saddos thread then?
:LOL:

Are you going to make use of it once you've gone to all this effort to get it working mrgrubby? Hope so :)

The original studio full length version , not the aborted radio one friendly version :D.

Don't want to upset the purists but once I get it fixed I'll connect it through the pre-amp to the PC then MP3ize my singles collection. Everything from PIL to Sting :bonk:

Cheer up Mr G! there's so much new dance etc still on vinyl there's bound to be a way to resolve your probs, keeping my fingers crossed for you! and hope you are listening to those records again soon!!!!! :D :D :D

(I take my old records round to my mum and get them burned onto a CD! can offer you that if all else fails!!!!!)

Aww bummer!
Not quite the same I know, but you can always listen to your faves on LastFM as I do after I Was gutted to find a leak in my garage recently had destroyed a lot of the sleeves on my 45's and warped some of the vinyl to the point that I had no choice but to bin them!

Awww no. Its awful when your beloved old thingies decide to die. I will never forget the day my Praktica MTL3 broke :-(.

Chin up!

Back