The end of Wings & Wheels

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
Cant say I am surprised, all airshows have since Shoreham been subject to much stricter controls and tbh they have become a bit tame, add to that the mighty crowd pulling Vulcan no longer flies and it's easy to see why W&W is winding down. I understand RIAT at Farnborough is doing away with spectator days too (or something similar).

Cant say I am surprised, all airshows have since Shoreham been subject to much stricter controls and tbh they have become a bit tame, add to that the mighty crowd pulling Vulcan no longer flies and it's easy to see why W&W is winding down. I understand RIAT at Farnborough is doing away with spectator days too (or something similar).

RIAT is at Fairford and is on as normal. The biennial Farnborough show has axed the weekend public displays, it is predominantly a trade show and in recent years many of the exhibits had left by the Friday anyway.

GC

Sad, very sad. Shows are disappearing far too quickly thanks to knee jerk over-reactions.

Didn't they try to latch onto the success of Top Gear?? Given competition from CarFest North and South I guess the market for this type of event is a bit saturated with offerings.

Recent Revivals at Goodwood have been affected by the lack of aerial displays, I don't think it's just the Shoreham incident (but that was a watershed) but given we have been blessed by several anniversaries (RAF 100), Vulcan retiring, the second Lanc visiting, and Tornados disappearing there is a lot less to see nowadays than in the good old days...

It's nothing to do with the decline in air shows. Dunsfold is being redeveloped into a housing estate. That means Top Gear needs a new home as well.

Didn't they try to latch onto the success of Top Gear?? Given competition from CarFest North and South I guess the market for this type of event is a bit saturated with offerings.

Wings and Wheels was a carry on from the days that British Aerospace had free day for workers, was always
a good family day with lots of other attractions, when British Aerospace left the site Wings and Wheels was born.

Be a shame to see it go

Back