The G1.. finally getting appreciated?

Yes it looks ok. The x0.42 is really too bad for anything other than playing about but the x0.45 seems perfectly ok to me.

Last edited:
... As the 14-45 is already a wider angle than the 20mm, it doesn't make sense to use a WA converter on that...

Sorry, I've just re-read this and realise I didn't make myself clear. I meant that it didn't make sense to use a WA converter on the 20mm if you have the 14-45. Better to to use it on the 14-45, unless you need the extra aperture of the 20mm. Unlikely in this situation, I would think.

Paul :cool:

Hi folks,

Here's a quick test of the A-28 and Neewer wide-angle converters.

The original shot G1 + 14-45 @ 14mm:
P1010643_200K_sized.JPG

With the Olympus A-28:
P1010644_200K_sized.JPG

With the Neewer:
P1010645_200K_sized.JPG

I'm not sure that it can be seen on this size image, but the A-28 is sharp up to the edge of the image and even at high res, I can't see any loss of IQ. The Neewer however, while sharp in the centre of the image, gets quite blurred on the side edges.

I'm also surprised that there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in the image magnification between the A-28 and Neewer, which is strange because the A-28 is 0.8x and the Neewer is 0.45x.

I think that the A-28 wins out here!

Couple of pics on a very dull yesterday taken with G1 + 45-200mm

Cheers mate, both taken from the same distance using the 45-200mm

Well, I dont usually come on to post, although I find it very interesting to read what G1 users get up to. However, I have just taken the 45-200 out today that I purchased from a member on TP a few weeks back.

The lens has been given a very cool reception, I thought I had jumped to quick . . . :thinking: However, this is one of a few dozen I took this morning at an 'Old Gaffers' yacht regatta on the river Stour near Harwich.

800MelvynrwP1000284.jpg

Me, not being any great shakes as a 'tog', I think the camera/lens has done a reasonable job here at 184mm?

Hear is another taken today with the 45-200 at 200mm . . . :

800Avor25rwP1000273_edited-1.jpg

CJS

Last edited:
What a lovely picture, I'm beginning to use the 45-200 lens more of late.

The G1 and the 45-200 lens is well under estimated, seem to be using it more than my much loved GF1 these days.

Where have all you G1 users vanished to?

Busy shooting! Still loving this camera, but in 2 minds weather to add a DSLR as well or stick solely to m4/3 (I have an E-P1 as well). Will what and see what Photokina brings.

Finally got to use my Hitech filters (the Cokin ones where abit rubbish), getting the hang of long exposures, think a 10 stopper is next on the shopping list:

4937002509_38071d3b38_o.jpg

4955089372_0aef890f95_o.jpg

Last edited:
I've just started a new job so haven't had much time out and about.
However, i did go to the Cotswolds on holiday.
Pics are uploading :)
I'm just putting a few up. Took over 400 pictures during the week.
All the birds and Horses were taken from inside and around the cottage i stayed in.

Last edited:
I was all set on getting a GF1, But got a really good deal on a G1 with a 14-45mm. So the other half has the G10 now as after looking at the evf on the G1 is so much better.

Few hours ago I received my G1. I bought it used for a steal, a whole lot on second hand sale for equiv. of about 650 GBP delivered. Now I have panasonic 7-14, 14-45 and 45-200. Included was polarizing filter, an extra battery, cable release, camera bag and a tripod. This all was cheaper that any used ultra wide lens I went looking for :)

I only need the 20 F/1.7 (looking for used again) and I am set in my needs.
I already have Metz 48 as part of my Olympus E420 kit.

I took the G1 for a walk in the lunch hour. I can say I am impressed - I was looking for lightweight travel kit, especially with a ultra wide lens and this is it. The camera sits well in my hand, much better than the E420. I find the viewfinder OK (well, I didn't use it in real low-light situation, only inside a small chapel), it is dream for manual focusing. I will still hold on the E420. It will be probably the second body with olympus 14-54 and legacy M42 lenses. If I find good deal for used Zuiko 50-200 SWD, I will probably buy it too.

I am looking forward to the long weekend I get here (holiday on Tuesday, taking the Monday off as well). Even should I take all three lenses on my bicycle trip, all of it still weights almost nothing and is so small that I can put the included bag in my normal handbag.

Now I have panasonic 7-14, 14-45 and 45-200. Included was polarizing filter, an extra battery, cable release, camera bag and a tripod. This all was cheaper that any used ultra wide lens I went looking for :)
Wow, you got all of that for GBP650? The 7-14 alone is a about GBP900 new in the UK! What a bargain.

There's also the 14-140 if you want a nice walk-about lens.

Oh! I forgot to say that I didn't find the 20mm F1.7 that much of an improvement over the 14-45 to warrant keeping it. Yes the 20mm is a faster lens, but I found that in low light conditions, the great Mega-OIS of the 14-45 compensated well. About the only real benefit is the shallow DOF when fully open, but then again I've got a Canon FD 50mm F1.4 and a Nikkor 35mm F1.8 and adapters if I want shallow DOF.

Wow, you got all of that for GBP650? The 7-14 alone is a about GBP900 new in the UK! What a bargain.

The 7-14 new here is cheapest about GBP1100! I was lucky, the gear was at not well known store in their online used listing - sitting there since April, probably several times marked down. When I found it it had already 40% off the asking price.
The person selling it bought the 7-14 in February and in April went full frame. I cannot understand why he hadn't listed it elsewhere, the shop didn't have it in the store on display, it was virtually hidden.

Off to take photos! :)

Majka

Nope, think I'm going to buy another one on the classifieds. Don't you have a spare one in fact? :naughty:

I'm hoping that if I buy another it will turn up. :)

Last edited:
Some photos from bike trip to small zoo
P1050554_s.jpg

P1050539s.jpg

P1050524s.jpg

And I couldn't resist - one postcard photo, view from the zoo:
P1050634s.jpg

And sunset on the way back home:
P1050656s.jpg

All with the 45-200.

Last edited:
Does anyone have the 14-45 and the 20mm? Im just interested to see how much wider the 20mm is compared to the 14-45 set at 20mm.
Hi, not sure I understand the question. They will both have the same field of view. 20mm = 20mm. Or did you mean something else?

A couple of shots of my new SEIKO SUMO...

Img010.jpg

Img022.jpg

Love the way the long exposure has shown the sweep of the automatic movement... (6 beats per second)
Img018.jpg

Back