The Gardening Thread

Name
Cheryl
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, totally non-photography related thread, but I know that there are some keen gardeners on here who can help me out ...

I know nothing about gardening :shrug: (other than it's a necessary evil) and at the minute my garden consists of a mound of mud with bits of grass & weeds growing out of it :eek: However, I'm willing to give it a go and have even been & bought some plants to put in there when I eventually get around to it!

Anyway, have just spent almost 2 hours weeding around the driveway, and as I pulled the weeds up, I have never seen so many ants.. what can I use to kill them?

Also, how do I get rid of moss from the pathway? Is there something I can put on it, or is it a case of getting down on my hands & knees and scraping it up?

:ty:

You need to find the ants nest, then boiling water poured down it should do the trick.

Not nice but there you go.

Nice avatar! Pocket cups! And that's why I don't like cricket.....

I would have said the boiling water but if you get ants in your plant pots then you would kill the plants so a powder from a garden centre will do the trick. I have just got back from the garden centre and bought a few lovely plants expecially to photograph....Barry bought me a water feature, a little girl (not a real one I might add)being squirted by a fountain :)

If you try to destroy them, they'll move somewhere else.
This somewhere else could be inside your home, so I would suggest
leaving them alone.

As dod says, they do a good job of cleaning up other pests.

Theres only one thing I have more of than weeds in my garden ... all those god damned ants!
My entire garden is full of the little blighters happily tunnelling away.
I can stand them at the moment but, give it another few weeks & then the flying variety take over.
Its about then I give in to the boiling water along with mucho foot stamping!

I used to have ants at my old house, all along my driveway too that met up with the house. I just poured bleach down on the ant hills and all along the house. Seemed to work for me, pesky buggers were gone, not sure about in a garden though. :thinking:

Did I mention I am NOT a gardner. :LOL: :D

Jewel

Ok, the ants get to stay where they are :)
So how do I get the moss up from the lumpy tarmac? Please don't tell me that is good for the garden too....

minimeeze said:
Ok, the ants get to stay where they are :)
So how do I get the moss up from the lumpy tarmac? Please don't tell me that is good for the garden too....
Round up is the answer (y) Kills most things.

Be careful with it though, spray or apply on a still day, make sure there's no rain forecast and wait 7-10 days

Depends how thick the moss is.......

I used a fish slice to remove it from my back path. But that's considerably smaller than a driveway. Flamethrower? Blow torch? All better than chemical muck!

Soda crystals diluted as per packaging instructions in hot water and good stiff broom!

GfK SCHOOL OF GARDENING

Lesson 1

a) Locate flower beds
b) Mix concrete
c) Pour
d) Auction lawn mower and various gardening tools on eBay.

(y)

hi mini
you could try Jeyes fluid, diluted and poured/sprayed on, or a brand called Armillatox, smells like disinfectant for a couple of days, but hey it works.

GfK said:
GfK SCHOOL OF GARDENING

Lesson 1

a) Locate flower beds
b) Mix concrete
c) Pour
d) Auction lawn mower and various gardening tools on eBay.

(y)

love this idea, would make my job easy, i could hire cement mixers for a living.

Back