The General Drone-Related Thread

Hi Mike,
The Mini 3 Pro and Mini 4 Pro use the same 12/48-megapixel 1/1.3-inch quad-bayer sensor with large 2.4μm pixels that produces excellent 12-megapixel results in low light, and up to 48-megapixel high-resolution photos when the light is good. The output between the two drones is therefore incredibly similar.

So you won’t get any significant image quality improvements by upgrading.

The obstacle avoidance system upgrade is most likely worth the upgrade though.

Hi Mike,
The Mini 3 Pro and Mini 4 Pro use the same 12/48-megapixel 1/1.3-inch quad-bayer sensor with large 2.4μm pixels that produces excellent 12-megapixel results in low light, and up to 48-megapixel high-resolution photos when the light is good. The output between the two drones is therefore incredibly similar.

So you won’t get any significant image quality improvements by upgrading.

The obstacle avoidance system upgrade is most likely worth the upgrade though.
Thanks Norkie.
I don't feel so bad now :D

Sorry for the delay in replying.
Unlocked the zone ;)
You need to know what sort of authorisation zone you are in. Check drone assist to see if you are in a red zone, i.e. if you are near to an airport. Or if it is just a dji zone that doesn't carry any weight.

If it is the former you can be opening yourself up to a hefty fine if you don't get the correct permissions in advance.

You need to know what sort of authorisation zone you are in. Check drone assist to see if you are in a red zone, i.e. if you are near to an airport. Or if it is just a dji zone that doesn't carry any weight.

If it is the former you can be opening yourself up to a hefty fine if you don't get the correct permissions in advance.
We are a few miles from ABZ airport and the offshore heliport.
The drone refused to fly but once I got the code, all was well.
We have a walled garden along from the house and the gardener wanted some images as the flowers were at their colourful best.
I thought a nice drone shot would be good but in the end I just took stills with my camera.
I haven't tried flying the drone around here again as I was having SD card issues

I was a bit disappointed at first. I use the M3P and have no experience of any others so can't compare, but coming from photography background having used canon DSLRs almost exclusively with L glass, and then moving on to Fuji mirrorless did at first find the drop in image quality a little frustrating.

But I have to remember to keep telling myself that the camera on the M3P is much closer to what I have in my mobile phone that it is to any real camera, and the cost is tiny compared to what I would spend on a "real" camera.

Since getting mine I have found I am doing much more video which is something that I had not been particularly interested in before, and less time taking stills and for that I am still suitably impressed.

Yes, that’s a good way of looking at it. Think I’ll pick up an Air 2s for the stills and expand my video skills with the M3P

For over a decade Mark and Nicola Tipping and their three boys Sam, Joe, and Isaac, have put on a magnificent Christmas lights display. Do your best to visit the display at:

1 Valentines Meadow Cottam Preston PR4 0LF

Please enjoy the video, and if you can, make a donation to one or more of the charities listed.

Music © by Michael Buble, who kindly allows his music to be shared on YouTube.

Raising money for four amazing charities @derianhousechildrenshospice @cardiacriskintheyoung @rosemere_cf & Headway Chorley and Preston.

Paul.

This is my latest from a couple of weeks back. Headed up to Brick Lane for a bowling session with some work colleagues and arrived early, which gave me some time for this.

Probably not to everyone's tastes. Trying for a gritty feel to this one and there is no shortage of things I can see wrong with it, filming in an urban setting is certainly much more of a challenge!

View: https://youtu.be/HQzY-3mDmUI

Reactions: RIR
Nice video Paul, very festive! Might go pour myself a baileys.

Ta Dave. They've raised at least £140,000 over the last decade, and they are worth the visit. You can here oohs and ahhhs from the kids when they see them!

Paul.

The now, sadly derelict, Church of St John, comprising of a chancel, nave, aisles and a tower, was built in the grounds of the County Lunatic Asylum, Whittingham.As with all Victorian Institutions of the day, religion played a great part and, it was to this end that a Church was built within the grounds and was named St John's.

The contract for the erection of a Church and a Chaplain's house was awarded in September 1871, estimated costings being £4,632.00 and £1,579. 8s 2d respectively.An organ was purchased and installed in the Church at a cost of £250. St John's Church was Church of England, and provision for Roman Catholics was made in a room set aside in one of the wards. In June 1875 the Church was licensed by the Bishop of Manchester.

The first hospital chaplain was the Rev W T Palmour. The Asylum cemetery was consecrated in 1895, again by the Bishop of Manchester and the chaplain was subsequently awarded 2/6d for each burial service performed.

Music: .J. Pachelbel - Canon in D Major (Arranged by Lee Galloway) performed by Kassia.

Last edited:
A very typical Victorian church. A vast number of which are now being added to the redundant list.
There is no way that the tiny congregations can continue to fund their up keep, which is staggeringly expensive.

A very typical Victorian church. A vast number of which are now being added to the redundant list.
There is no way that the tiny congregations can continue to fund their up keep, which is staggeringly expensive.

It's a shame isn't it? I imagine the interior would have been quite decorative?

Paul.

It's a shame isn't it? I imagine the interior would have been quite decorative?

Paul.
Most Victorian church interiors are very much the same and not that interesting. However the exceptions can be high Victorian "medieval"monstroucitis... Which exude bad taste, but can be very interesting.

How the hell did you manage to lose it there?
shooting my boat when a sudden bank of mist came in. I got it back to the boat but just as it was about to land, it shot backwards into the the engine then plop, down it went. I wonder if the fine mist messed with the sensors. I had flown it over water lots before with no problems.

shooting my boat when a sudden bank of mist came in. I got it back to the boat but just as it was about to land, it shot backwards into the the engine then plop, down it went. I wonder if the fine mist messed with the sensors. I had flown it over water lots before with no problems.

Maybe. Whatever the cause, it's a bummer losing it...

Paul.

I was experimenting with mavic 2 in fog at night just by the house, that drone has a light you can turn on or off to assist landing so I thought it might be interesting effect in fog.
I found that with light on it started ascending quite rapidly as it thought it was too near the ground - you could over ride that and force it down but not a little concerning when they do unexpected things, and imagine how that might have gone if near trees or anything.

St Mary's Church, Penwortham.​

St. Mary's is the parish church of the Ancient Parish of Penwortham and dates from the 14th century. Although located in an urban area its setting is very attractive being in the midst of ancient woodland.

Now almost overwhelmed by urban Preston, the church of St Mary's stands on the wooded site near the remains of a Saxon fortification, overlooking an ancient crossing of the River Ribble.

After the Norman Conquest, William the Conqueror gave Penwortham to Roger de Poicteau, and it was perhaps this Roger who was responsible for building the Norman motte which can easily be seen beside the church. The churchyard is accessed by way of a lych gate erected in 1896.

Paul.

That was great. I know very little about drone photography, but my young grandson does. He keeps bugging me to give it a try. I might just take him up on it one day. Thanks for posting this.
Thanks Rick.
This is still my most recent video, not had a chance to get out at all over winter, but off to Wales in a couple of weeks so will hopefully have some opportunities there.

where in wales are you going ?
Merthyr Tydfil. Going to Bike Park Wales so not really sure what there is nearby, I will have to look into it over the weekend. Will be stopping of at the Forest of Dean on the way so maybe some options there too.

Back