The Gull

Bev

Name
Bev
Edit My Images
No
Taken at the riverside near where i live on a rather overcast afternoon.
birdembed.jpg

birdembed_rev1.jpg

Adjusted the curves.
selective sharpening on the wings and eye using the sharpen tool - I much prefer this method as you only need a hint of sharpness. Too much and the whole thing loses the sense of movement

Used the saturate tool on the beak and the eye to boost the colours

duplicated layer
Gaussian blurred the duplicate layer
set layer properties to multiply

Cropped image
Darkened blurred layer using levels

Used large soft edged eraser to remove most of centre of blur layer to create vignette
final gaussian blur on blur layer to soften vignette

Each to their own of course - but I do think the shot needs to be about the bird or the landscape - I think the new crop makes it more about the bird whilst the original crop is a little undecided for my taste.

Of course as always - I may be wrong

A very nicely timed and taken Bev ... (y) ... but I agree it needs a little more space in front of the bird and is maybe just a little flat ... did you try adjusting levels at all ... :shrug:

Looks to me like a fine capture of a first summer Lesser Blackback Gull too ... :thinking:

:p

birdembed_rev1.jpg

Adjusted the curves.
selective sharpening on the wings and eye using the sharpen tool - I much prefer this method as you only need a hint of sharpness. Too much and the whole thing loses the sense of movement

Used the saturate tool on the beak and the eye to boost the colours

duplicated layer
Gaussian blurred the duplicate layer
set layer properties to multiply

Cropped image
Darkened blurred layer using levels

Used large soft edged eraser to remove most of centre of blur layer to create vignette
final gaussian blur on blur layer to soften vignette

Each to their own of course - but I do think the shot needs to be about the bird or the landscape - I think the new crop makes it more about the bird whilst the original crop is a little undecided for my taste.

Of course as always - I may be wrong

Great job Nigel, i am definately going to have to learn more about layers and the other tools in CS2, and no not this time, you are right!:clap:

Back