"The Hadrian" steam excursion, 17.04.10.

Edit My Images
No
Two from the weekend, the first one was taken at stupid o'clock in the morning
with 6201 "Princess Elizabeth" on the way to Hellifield to pick up "The Hadrian".
0214a.jpg

Then about thirteen hours later I caught "Lizzie" at sunset on the east coast main line.
02680a.jpg

I think number 2 is great, give a wonderful sense of speed. Just a pity about the electric cables over head.

Excellent couple of pictures. The 2nd one is particularly great.

I like both but no.2 is my preference because of the low viewpoint. What focal length do you use for a 3/4 shot of the full train like this?

Thanks for the comments everyone (except Maggiore who's obviously trying to build up his post count).
What focal length do you use for a 3/4 shot of the full train like this?
Usually around 70-100mm depending on how close to the lineside I can get, any longer and the loco and coaches become compressed which doesn't look right.

Is that 70-100 using a full frame or a crop sensor? I'm going to try taking a few lineside shots for the first time using a crop sensor D2x next week, hence the interest.

Cheers

Richard

Love No 2 Guess good candidate for the new CS5 with its new feature to clone out those electric wires hehe

Fantastic shots, especially the second one.

I've been trying to find out what steam trains are where and when so that I can take pictures of them, but I haven't been able to find anything around where I live.

Do you know of any sites that are helpful? What I've been doing is looking on all the steam train tour websites but no luck so far. :(

I've been trying to find out what steam trains are where and when so that I can take pictures of them, but I haven't been able to find anything around where I live.

Do you know of any sites that are helpful? What I've been doing is looking on all the steam train tour websites but no luck so far. :(
If you live in Manchester then you should have no problem finding steam excursions, try THIS site.
It lists all the UK steam excursions, the times are usually added nearer the departure dates.

You could always visit a heritage/preserved railway, ie. The East Lancs Railway, LINK.

The second shot is just beautiful! Loving the colour, hue and the composition of that picture. I also like the low down view of it.

Thanks for sharing these two, Lizzy is a personal favourite.
The low evening light really adds appeal.
Shame about those bloody overhead cables though.
Exactly 78mm on both, you haven't got the barrel taped up have you?

Last edited:
No2 for me big time!! Great shot!!

Back