The Horse

Hi dan
Nice shot.
Think it could have been improved with the space on right.
Also looks a little overexposed and flat and a little soft.
As you've got edit ticked, here's a quick PS take

Last edited:
/\

love the processing, Rock.

Would like to know how you moved the horse to the left when he is on the right on the original pic??

/\

love the processing, Rock.

Would like to know how you moved the horse to the left when he is on the right on the original pic??

Hi onikami
Hope my explanation is OK to follow.
Sounds a lot, but pretty quick if you've played in PS.

1 Dulicate layer
2 (Edit menu) - Flip Horizontally
You now have horse on other side but facing wrong direction.
3 Use eraser on new top layer with horse at wrong side and carefully erase horse, leaving all sea (sea from back layer will show through).
4 Click on (activate original layer) bottom layer and make a rough selection just outside horse to select it. You may want to feather selection to help it blend in with sea - I didn't bother as you can erase and blend later).
5 Copy selected horse and paste. You will now have original horse facing the way you want it. Move this layer to top.
6 Use move tool to move horse to where you want it. I just lined up the top horizon (blur line).
Finally I used the eraser ( I left opacity at 100%, brush diameter at 40 and hardness at 27%) to blend in edges of pasted horse. Just take a little at a time to get a reasonable result / seamless blend.
That's it.
Just flatten image and you're done.

Good luck with it.
Chuck

Oh, I also used curves to make it pop a little, lightened a few dark areas and gave it a little sharpen to finish.

Last edited:
think your original is very eye catching Dan even though it ''breaks the rules'' it has majestic feel to it. But i also like Chuck's edit too, but that changes the whole mood of the pic. think i prefer yours! (sorry Chuck!)

Hi onikami
Hope my explanation is OK to follow.
Sounds a lot, but pretty quick if you've played in PS.

1 Dulicate layer
2 (Edit menu) - Flip Horizontally
You now have horse on other side but facing wrong direction.
3 Use eraser on new top layer with horse at wrong side and carefully erase horse, leaving all sea (sea from back layer will show through).
4 Click on (activate original layer) bottom layer and make a rough selection just outside horse to select it. You may want to feather selection to help it blend in with sea - I didn't bother as you can erase and blend later).
5 Copy selected horse and paste. You will now have original horse facing the way you want it. Move this layer to top.
6 Use move tool to move horse to where you want it. I just lined up the top horizon (blur line).
Finally I used the eraser ( I left opacity at 100%, brush diameter at 40 and hardness at 27%) to blend in edges of pasted horse. Just take a little at a time to get a reasonable result / seamless blend.
That's it.
Just flatten image and you're done.

Good luck with it.
Chuck

Oh, I also used curves to make it pop a little, lightened a few dark areas and gave it a little sharpen to finish.

(y)

I prefer the original to be honest :) xx

think your original is very eye catching Dan even though it ''breaks the rules'' it has majestic feel to it. But i also like Chuck's edit too, but that changes the whole mood of the pic. think i prefer yours! (sorry Chuck!)

I prefer the original to be honest :) xx

Just a different take guys - Cheers.

Its great when you learn new stuff! Thank you Chuck.
No prob, Dan. √

Back