The issue with Wet Belts

Mr Bump

From under the bridge
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
So apparently this is now an issue that the newer style of putting cam belts inside the engine and exposed to oil is now quite an issue?
So much so I have been advised to change mine in my C3 earlier than the recommended 100k miles.

mine is 8 years and 84k miles and my garage has recommended i change it ASAP based on previous ones on Ford and others failing early.
my dealer has also stated these belts can break down over time and thus cause the oil strainer to clog and generally not be good for oil pressure.

Its not to expensive and I have just booked it in to be done at £475 but googling around this seems to be quite an issue coming?

I think the main cause is supposed to be not doing regular oil changes and not using the exact oil it should have in there.

I'm not sure if the issue still arises with a fully correct service history...?

I agree looking around the google web that's what the manufactures seem to be saying
but there are just to many stories for it to be 100% that to be fair especially the whole ford eco-boom crysis
I am going to have mine done for piece of mind as I am just about to set off on a 4 month work job that will probably be a good 8k miles worth

Yes. For £475 and knowing it is fine and done properly.

My daughter passed her test and bought a Fiesta last February. It was a bit dearer on insurance groups but she has a Mk7 1.4 which is the standard cam belt set up as in my Focus.

My boy passed his test yesterday so he's going to be looking for something without a wet belt too.

I saw a consumer piece on the BBC that spoke about this and how it affected approx 7 year old Ford Focus Eco Boost models. IIRC a statement by Ford said something along the lines of the issue was corrected in later models.

Hopefully my 2019 Kuga will be fine but until Ford issue a recall for the Eco Boost models we are in the hands of 'luck'. I have had my Kuga regularly serviced by a main dealer.

Cam belts have been a issue for decated , Out of sight out of mind , I must have done high hundreds , A large proportion resulted in valve and piston contact when the belt failed, Resulting in a head off , bent valves replaced etc, Just recently changed the belts on my 2,300cc Iveco diesel , All belts , all idler bearings an tensioners , Also the water pump , A fairly big job .

Cam belts have been a issue for decated , Out of sight out of mind , I must have done high hundreds , A large proportion resulted in valve and piston contact when the belt failed, Resulting in a head off , bent valves replaced etc, Just recently changed the belts on my 2,300cc Iveco diesel , All belts , all idler bearings an tensioners , Also the water pump , A fairly big job .

seems to be a thing that has come in the last decade this wet belt thing with these tiny yet powerful eco engines
my local garage also says that engines are pretty much disposable nowadays with a design life of about 100k miles?

Our first car a Mazda 323 , a long time ago ! had the motorbike type design of chain drive to the cams it never needed doing I wonder why modern cars don’t use chain drive anymore
modern bikes like the Suzuki Bandit 1250 with similar design can do high mileage with no problems at all, the cam chain tensioner is automatic, maintenance free

Last edited:
Reactions: Nod
Some modern cars still use timing chains, our 2024 Honda ZR-V Hybrid has a 2.0 litre petrol engine with a timing chain.

Back