The Joy Of Home Printing

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
It isn't economical. Well - not for me anyway.

I was curious how good Lightoom's Panorama function was so I dropped 13 photos shot handheld at the Grand Canyon with my 350D and kit 18-55 lens. The stitch took less than 5 minutes.

I then got curious about how cool it would look printed, so I loaded some proofing paper and had a go at 12" x 110" (9 feet) with native 166 ppi.

I'm loving this printing lark.

My biggest print so far was for one of my clients and was a beach panorama and was 7m long by 1m wide, it was then laminated and was pasted onto his wall, looked great.

looks like your enjoying the printing

My biggest print so far was for one of my clients and was a beach panorama and was 7m long by 1m wide, it was then laminated and was pasted onto his wall, looked great. looks like your enjoying the printing

7 x 1 is big isn't it. I bet it did look the business!

All in all, the whole process from capture to print to mounting to end up with a finished product is really satisfying. I mean getting your prints done by someone else is good, but actually taking the time to soft proof, choose a paper, print it, & mount it is worth it in my opinion. I never thought I'd get as excited about paper, and it's really interesting to see how the images can look completely different on different types of paper. I've fallen in love with matt papers now. The rendering of b&w portraits is beautiful.

For b&w I still love a gloss paper, don't get me wrong b&w looks stunning on Matt.

For b&w I still love a gloss paper, don't get me wrong b&w looks stunning on Matt.

I'm guessing you've been printing for a while... I've just discovered it. And I know what happened when I discovered HDR... 10 stop NDs... Split toning... There's a pattern forming :)

Yes i started printing about 16 years ago, and the last 8 i have been doing it commercially, as part of my business.

7 x 1 is big isn't it. I bet it did look the business!

All in all, the whole process from capture to print to mounting to end up with a finished product is really satisfying. I mean getting your prints done by someone else is good, but actually taking the time to soft proof, choose a paper, print it, & mount it is worth it in my opinion. I never thought I'd get as excited about paper, and it's really interesting to see how the images can look completely different on different types of paper. I've fallen in love with matt papers now. The rendering of b&w portraits is beautiful.
Really satisfying! that's for sure!!!

I do love to make prints. None as big as these. After watching someone queue up my work and print it, I took the plunge 4 or so years ago with a Canon 1000. Tim Jones at Fotospeed was then very helpful and supportive - a bit of a saint really. I sold some at a gallery this year so that was a buzz too. Not sure if I want to do it again -I would have to find another one as the gallery owner retired at the end of last year and I could not justify joining the collective that formed.

Back