The Knights Tournament

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

A friend and I spent Sunday at the Knights Tournament at Scarborough Castle. Much merryment was had by all ;)

Full album is here: http://www.30d.co.uk/2006/Knights Tournament/Foot Battle/index.html although i have only managed to post process about half the images so far. Joust etc yet to come.

My Favourites of the Foot Battle Series:

fight25.jpg

fight3.jpg

fight8.jpg

fight7.jpg

fight9.jpg

fight18.jpg

fight21.jpg

fight26.jpg

All shots taken with the 70-300 Sigma, which held up well on some occasions and let me down badly on others. The lens is worthless wide open!!

Comments and Criticism very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Plenty of good action shots there. Shame about all the people in the background. The people in chairs at the guys shoulder level looks really strange :) Not much you could do about that though.

I had a look through the others you linked to. Nice fast site there.

pretty good stuff, you did well to get the shots with the shiney armour

You can send your lens to sigma for calibration you know, i bought a duff 18-50 which is being sorted right now, as mine was out of warrenty it will cost £33

Excellent. I really enjoy trying these kind of events. A challenge as always but it keeps the eye keen :)

Thanks for the comments guys!

Yep, it was a shame about the crowd/cars/transit vans but unavoidable im afraid :(

As for recalibration, do you think it would help? Basically at 300mm at f/5.6 its worthless. So blurred. You really have to stop down to f/9 or more to make the shots worthwhile. The general impression i got of this lens is that this is pretty much par for the course, it was afterall only £115. Im still considering the Sigma 100-300 F/4 as its replacement :D

There was a guy there with a monster piece of L glass too, looked like the official photog. Was a very large prime, 400-600mm ish with 2 TC's :LOL:
He was handholding it too o_O

look at the colchester zoo lon shots i took, they were at F5.6, and a couple at 300mm, so it is possible to get the lens to work reasonably well, if your considering getting a replacement its probably not worth it, but if your intending to keep it, its worth sending a few test shots to sigma, they will look and tell you whats what, they may require the camera and lens for a couple of days to calibrate lens to camera...

Back