The last days of Beighton Station

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
On the weekend of 14-15 March 2021, the signal box that was the last remaining active structure of Beighton Station was demolished.

Signalling, and the control of the level crossing have now moved to be managed remotely (at York, I believe).

There was local opposition to the removal of the signal box but, despite proposals to move it to a new location, these proved too expensive or unworkable and it was removed. The nearby Woodhouse Junction signal box was demolished a week later.

On the day before the demolition took place, fencing was erected around the area and the road had been closed to all but foot traffic and bicycles.

The last days of Beighton Station
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

There were a considerable number of contractors around, all in bright orange hi-vis clothing. Some from Network Rail, but also from a number of other companies involved in the work.

The last days of Beighton Station-2

The last days of Beighton Station-3

The following day, Sunday 15 March, the mesh fencing had been replaced by something more sturdy. As the work took several days to complete, these small cubicles were placed at either side of the tracks, presumably as shelter for overnight workers or security guards.

The last days of Beighton Station-4

A truck delivers the large metal skip into which the remains of the signal box would be loaded.

The last days of Beighton Station-5

Still intact, but only for a few seconds longer...

The last days of Beighton Station-6

Spectators and workers gather to see the event unfold as demolition begins.

The last days of Beighton Station-7

The last days of Beighton Station-8

Some people moved down the side of the signal box to get a better view.

The last days of Beighton Station-9

The roof has gone completely.

The last days of Beighton Station-10

The last days of Beighton Station-11

The claw does its work.

The last days of Beighton Station-12

The upper section has almost gone now.

The last days of Beighton Station-13

Still sheathed in plastic, the new warning signs wait for their work to begin.

The last days of Beighton Station-14

The upper part of the signal box has now gone completely. Work continued to remove the brick lower section and remove the frame from the building, but I didn’t stay to photograph that.

The last days of Beighton Station-15

And here’s how it looks now that work has been concluded. No signal box any more. There is apparently a radar-controlled system now in place to detect anyone on the crossing. The barriers cannot lower until it is clear.

The last days of Beighton Station-16

I gave this a sad face because it's a shame to see this taking place.

I gave this a sad face because it's a shame to see this taking place.

It is, but I guess it's progress in action. There are only so many places where these things can be moved to, and that's assuming the cost can be met - £250k was quoted to move it to a new location according to reports I read, which noone was willing to pay. Without a business reason to keep the box, Network Rail were not going to keep it active along with the maintenance and security costs it would entail, and if left standing it would likely have fallen pray to vandalism / theft and put the adjacent railway route at risk (it stood very close to the tracks). So yes, sad to see it go - it was a local landmark which I've photographed on multiple occasions - but I can understand why it had to be removed.

What a disgrace that this building was not listed or saved. We had a similar signal box at a level crossing in Nantwich (Cheshire), which was removed a few years ago. However, fortunately this was saved and rebuilt at the railway museum in Crewe.

Back