The local university

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I don't normally take photos of architecture but thought i'd give it a little go and see how I got on.

Would be interested to get a bit of general feedback about this image and find out what I did well and what could be improved next time.

7393594044_8b8b98ea88_z.jpg

Exif:
Camera Canon EOS 40D
Exposure 0.003 sec (1/400)
Aperture f/2.8
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 100

hi Andy
this is bordering on a abstract type of shot..
more of the building would give greater architectural detail...if possible
its sharp enough and there arent any people to detract and there arent any signs or distracting cables etc
very clean
can you show more of the structure and its base
cheers
geof

hi Andy
this is bordering on a abstract type of shot..
more of the building would give greater architectural detail...if possible
its sharp enough and there arent any people to detract and there arent any signs or distracting cables etc
very clean
can you show more of the structure and its base
cheers
geof

Hi, thanks for the reply :)

Sorry I should have said that I was deliberately going for abstract... Not sure why I omitted that from the original post :)

Hi, thanks for the reply :)

Sorry I should have said that I was deliberately going for abstract... Not sure why I omitted that from the original post :)

:love:
you get the cigar then...well taken
cheers
geof

an interesting building - as above - would like to see more of it (got any more) Certainly beats the grey concrete of the UEA - but if going for the abstract...(y)

Thanks guys... don't have any others where you can see more of the building as someone at the uni mentioned they might need some quirky abstract images of the campus for a book that's coming out.

They said someone might get in touch so I decided to be proactive, take some shots as a sample of the type of thing I could do and send them in the hope I'd get the job :)

I think it works well as it is, and any more of the building would take something away from the shot. Lots of modern architecture is great in pieces, but abysmal as a whole, so taking bits of them works well, and I think it does here. You just needed a bit of luck with the sky which is detracting from the image. A nice deep blue and some gentle cloud action would work well, especially in mono. Nice.

I think it works well as it is, and any more of the building would take something away from the shot. Lots of modern architecture is great in pieces, but abysmal as a whole, so taking bits of them works well, and I think it does here. You just needed a bit of luck with the sky which is detracting from the image. A nice deep blue and some gentle cloud action would work well, especially in mono. Nice.

The weather here has been awful recently so I was lucky to get the sky looking like that tbh... most of the last couple fo weeks has been heavy rain and dark storm clouds, although I'm guessing as you're called LFC1892 you are probably from the North West and have had pretty much the same problem as over here in Newcastle?

i am based in the midlands, for my sins, but most of my family have been big Liverpool fans since i was a kid, hence the name. the weather has been just as bad here though, but that brings its own photographic opportunities sometimes. just need a waterproof camera...

that surely wasn't shot wide open was it?!?!!! seems too sharp for that. doesn't make sense as to why that would have been selected...

Yeah shot at f/2.8... tbh now it's been pointed out it doesn't make any sense. I think i'd been doing a shot prior to this where I was going for some nice bokeh and forgot to change the aperture afterwards :bonk:

Can probably class the sharpness as lucky I think :LOL:

Back