The Lottery

Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone buys the lottery?

I started buying the lottery when in uni. Just the occassional ticket when I happen to be at a supermarket or store on the Wednesday or Saturday and remember it.

Now I still buy the lottery, maybe £10 a month? Am I developing an addiction? I don't buy it every draw though. But when I do buy, maybe I'll get 5 lucky dips or something at a time. :(

i always get 2 lines for a saturday, force of habit!

I buy a ticket when I remember (or when I've had a bad day at work...lol)- I tend to do mine online rather than stand for ages in a big queue. Haven't won so much as a measly tenner in ages though.

It was my friend's fault that I started buying more than a line at a time.

He said "You get more chance buying 20 lines for one draw, than 1 line for 20 draws".

Makes sense. Unfortunately.

I used to buy £5 worth every saturday back when it started. 6 weeks in I won £70 which kept me hooked for a while. After a couple of years I realised it was a mugs game but I still fancied a gamble.

I moved some of my savings into premium bonds - enough that the lost interest amounted to £5 a week. I've still got my stake money and have had several £50 cheques and even a £100 one drop through the door since :)

RobertP said:
I moved some of my savings into premium bonds - enough that the lost interest amounted to £5 a week. I've still got my stake money and have had several £50 cheques and even a £100 one drop through the door since :)

I'm about as lucky with those as I am with the lottery. I've had my bonds for almost 10 years now and not won a penny :(

Yes, Premium Bonds. I've just thought about them today when buying my Euromillion ticket. Do you buy Premium Bonds from the post office?

Get the application form online and send it off I seem to remember.

kamion said:
Yes, Premium Bonds. I've just thought about them today when buying my Euromillion ticket. Do you buy Premium Bonds from the post office?

You can collect an application form from the post office or apply online http://www.nsandi.com/

How about this for try, save you £10 pound a month instead of buying lottery tickets and I can guarantee in a year you will have £120, so long as you dont lose it;)

I dont think your addicted but your attempts to find more things to gamble on would be best avoided - a few £s on tickets isnt going to get you hooked, so long as A)You can afford it, B)You avoid thinking that you can buy yourself a win.

Just my opinion BTW(y)

Thanks for the link, minimeeze! I just signed up. :D

I run a syndicate at work for 6 people and have done for almost 2 years, and our winnings to date are so low that we are considering stopping.

I used to play the lottery.
At one point I ran a syndicate at work.

Now I just play the anti-lottery.

Win a quid every week (y)

I believe you make your own luck in life .....so waste of money in my eyes :p

What are the odds of the jackpot..... 14 million to 1 ....get real...smell the coffee :wacky: ;) :LOL:

I do the lottery, same line of numbers since it started. Because of this i am in the catch 22 sit. where if I don't get my line, I know the numbers off by heart and if they did come up you'd be gutted. Sat/Wed draw £2 per week = £1248 + any one off draws ie Xmas/Euromillions. So for an investment of £1300 since 1994 i've won about £200 tops. Not that great eh?

That's why if and when I do buy a ticket, I NEVER use the same numbers!
At least with premium bonds, you don't lose anything, as at the end of the day, the money is still yours, even if you don't win anything.

Glen said:
Sat/Wed draw £2 per week = £1248 + any one off draws ie Xmas/Euromillions. So for an investment of £1300 since 1994 i've won about £200 tops. Not that great eh?

Now, that is a sobering number.

I don't know how much I've spent since I started since I was never consistent. But I think probably in the hundreds. :crying:

Matty said:
i always get 2 lines for a saturday, force of habit!
Of what?...oh horse nostrils :LOL:

EDIT:
I retract that statement...I don't want to be the first to get kicked by the staff on the new site!"

I won £5.80 on the Eurolottery last night :)

I play online to save all the queueing! I've won more when playing online than buying from shops.

Carl

Bachs said:
Of what?...oh horse nostrils :LOL:

EDIT:
I retract that statement...I don't want to be the first to get kicked by the staff on the new site!"

rofl i think i knew where you were going with that one

Oh and I think the lottery has a free 5 million jackpot when you buy a ticket tonight - buy one get one free?

TBH not into any form of normal gambling.....only bet on a horse once after tip off (you know how corrupt it is)....handed over £130 few weeks in advance....& the thing never bl**dy ran !!!!! ...lost the lot. Never again ;)

Only gamble I've played is re houses. Instead of taking repayment or Endowment I took that portion of money to allow me an even bigger interest only mortgage, always moving to bigger more expensive houses. My view was in a 10 yr period the extra amount I borrowed would go up in value more than repayment/endowment method........& it's worked out rather well thankyou. Just need a property crash now, to buy some "buy to let" properties instead of the crappy pension I've currently got !

I`ve paid £5 a week since it started using the same numbers. I call it my pension plan!

Back