The Louvre-Archway

Edit My Images
Yes
mccell227ck.jpg

This will be my first critique post so here goes nothing!!
This was shot with my Fuji Finepix on our honeymoon in October. This was one of the few decent images from the set, the other being another shot of the Louvre entrance (pyramid) from the other side.

As a photographer I'm really into compostion and architecture (as you will begin to see in time) but i'm also interested in getting into marco. Essentially I hope to gain (by posting) a better understanding of what to look for to improve my shots in the future, so I will take more time in composing the shot.

Go easy on me but be honest. :D

i'm also interested in getting into marco.

Have you told marco this yet? ;)

:getmecoat

Hi Jim,

The most obvious thing that strikes me is that its not straight. Also that old French giffer in the bottom RHS distracts the eye, not much you can do about that now obviously but one to watch for in the future (people in general not just the French...).

:)

Ok, I've looked at the shot a little now and this is how it seems to me.

As far as composition goes, it looks like you spent some time trying to find the spot and from what I can see and remember of the place, anywhere is going to be slightly compromised. In terms of finding the perfect symetry or balance.

The thing that keeps drawing my eye is the guy leaving the frame at the bottom right. I'm not sure if he makes it takes away from it yet. I think the former for me.

There is more to be had from the file in terms of bite and crispness and some playing with this could improvve it further I think.

D :)

i like this, the guy on the right is a distraction, but otherwise its pleasant enough, as metioned, straighten it. If i was taking the shot, i would try and get a bit more central, your slightly off to one side, i think maybe to get the pyramid in the shot?

Just a quick play Jim - corrected the converging verticals (this should really be done in the large image to avoid jaggies) and gave the levels a tweak and a sharpen.

I like the guy in the foreground Matty. :D

mccell227ck_2.jpg

Now that works a lot better CT! I think the levels of the building now match the old giffer in the corner!

Good job!

James the major problem for me with this image is the horizon is not level, and the distortion in the actual building makes it look like the French can't build straight (probably right on the building front).

If you have PS CS you can fix both.

The horizon by rotating Arbitrary under image in the toolbar.

The distortion can be fixed by using a perspective crop with the crop tool,
just tick the perspective box at the top of PS when the crop tool is selected.
When you've made your selection pull the outer top corners in, so the side of the crop match the verticle lines of the part of building next to it.

Jamesfries.jpg

The content of the image is fine, I would have liked to see a few more people walking towards the lens though.

Matt said:
The distortion can be fixed by using a perspective crop with the crop tool,
just tick the perspective box at the top of PS when the crop tool is selected.
When you've made your selection pull the outer top corners in, so the side of the crop match the verticle lines of the part of building next to it.

Matt, I can't see this perspective box at the top of photoshop, should it appear as a tick box with the width, height and resolution ect once i've selected the crop tool?

Matt said:
The content of the image is fine, I would have liked to see a few more people walking towards the lens though.
I totally agree and i'm glad some people like the guy in the corner, I was starting to think it was just me!

Back