Review The New Canon70-300L Lens

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Try and make it Brief.
When I bought the 7D I knew I would need a couple of New Lenses so bought the Canon 17-55 IS USM. I also needed a Telephoto.(Having owned the Black bodied Canon 70-300 IS which had the Range I wanted in a Zoom).

As Luck would have it Canon brought out the L version which I managed to purchase at a Decent price but has dropped again (You Win some You Lose some).

Main Points.

1. The Build Quality is Obvious as well as the Weight Increase.
2. Girth has Increased (Width).
3. Length has Decreased.
4. Barrel does not Rotate so Great for Polarising and ND Screw in filters.
5. Fits on the Camera in the Smaller of the Two Canon Bags I have,so Great for Travelling.
6. Works Fast with the new Focus System on the 7D.
7. I find it Sharper and More Detailed in the Shots I have taken so far.

People have their own Ideas on this Lens but I am a Fair Weather Shooter, and Not an Avid Pro so I find it Great for my needs.

I think Canon has made it for the likes of the 7D and the New 60D and with the Crop Sensor it is more like a 480 zoom.

Might be a C..p Review but it's Mine.

Regards

Just to check you are referring to the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM. It looks to be a good manageable size to carry about? Does it have 2 image stabilisation capability like some of the newer lenses for panning action shots with background blur? Also looks like a reasonable price. I recently bought a 7 D as well and went for the 15-85 as my walkabout lens. Now trying to make up my mind for a telephoto.

Does it have 2 image stabilisation capability like some of the newer lenses for panning action shots with background blur?

Hi,
Yes it has that, as well as Lock for the 70mm end to keep it locked if the is camera hung from your shoulder while walking etc.

Don't forget this is the L version .... The new expensive white one, not the old 70-300 black one.

The old black one is very good for the price...

The new white one is supposed to be excellent IQ but much heavier...

[QUOTE="LikeBreathing". Reading it makes me want to get one. :D[/QUOTE]

ditto. At least it's payday for me today!

This is the next lens on my list. Heard many good things about it but it can't take an extender, and the tripod mount is very exspensive.

Back