The NEW HARMAN PHOENIX Colour Film !

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
YO !! I treated myself to 3 of the New HARMAN PHOENIX 200 Colour Films from Analogue Wonderland -- NOT CHEEEP though -- nearly fainted at Film PRICES now !
I loaded 2 PENTAX ME Supers - one to use for C41 and one for E6 processing with the same lens. I did short length and CUT the films. I took some with Multiblitz FLASH and the Multiblitz TUNGSTEN bulbs on both films then took some in Winter Light outside. The E6 film was mostly far too dark to scan but I got ONE good one of the Father Christmas.
LENSES used were : 50mm f1.7 Pentax-M and SMC Pentax -F 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 zoom
C41 with TUNGSTEN Light
Phoenix C41 01 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
C41 with Multiblitz Flashes

Phoenix C41 02 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
C41 Daylight The 100-300mm lens
Phoenix C41 03 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Phoenix C41 04 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
C41 50mm lens at f2.8
Phoenix C41 05 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
C41 the 50mm lens at Full Aperture
Phoenix C41 06 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Phoenix C41 07 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
I have not uploaded the E6 photo to FLICKR yet so show here only the C41 results

Impressive results.

Well done Peter, this is good to see. Encouraging as I've not loaded any that I bought yet (but will be going into most likely Pentax Spotmatic-F and KX)

It's got a very distinct look, hasn't it?

Nice test Peter, but can I ask what do you think this film brings to the table? How does it compare to existing films?.

I really like the colours in the tungsten light!

I think people who like 'LOMO' weird films will go for this emulsion . It works well in low subject-brightness-range photos.
the only thing against it is The Price -- £12-50 each for sets of 3 films Harman want to get back their research costs and coating runs expenses.

Last edited:
I took a roll on holiday with me to a high contrast sunny location. I think PentaxPete whose thread this is did a better job with this film. I would agree low contrast subjects are best. I would add overexposure is better than any amount of under exposure. I used a Vito C and guessed the exposure (and focus) based on what felt right at the time. Two of the shots are bracketed, one is way under and one way over so where the sweet spot is, is maybe the challenge. The palm tree in silhouette is my favourite from the roll.

It seems to me rather than make a test run of a prototype and toss it in the bin, followed by running a Kick Starter crowd fund Harman are selling the prototype as a kind of interactive crowd funding. I have another roll which I will shoot in grey old England and I may use a light blue filter as well. I think I will rate it at 125 ISO.
One thing I would say is some film photos once scanned look just like a digital photo with this film it would be hard to replicate digitally. This adds to our choice of films. I'm going to say I don't like it but others, perhaps a minority will, and so we have an extended palette of materials to work from. Thats a good thing.

PS PentaxPete has a YouTube channel about film cameras, you might like to check it out:- Peter Elgar - YouTube

001801820013.jpg

001801820017.jpg
001801820018.jpg
001801820019.jpg
001801820021.jpg
001801820006.jpg

I think people who like 'LOMO' weird films will go for this emulsion . It works well in low subject-brightness-range photos.
the only thing against it is The Price -- £12-50 each for sets of 3 films Harman want to get back their research costs and coating runs expenses.
I like it.
The difference between tungsten and flash look right to me :)

We have some, looking forward to trying it!

YO ! Many Thanks for the 'PLUG' --- I do a lot of equipment reviews on gear I get GIVEN and a lot bought at Car Boot Sales by a Camera Club / FLICKR Mate which I have on loan BUT I do not have all the Tech Savvy for Videos as many YouTubers do so there is NO MUSIC and Flashing Effects etc !

Here's three of mine from a batch I picked up on Wednesday. Scanned using Vuescan on Auto Colour Balance, Generic Colour Negative. Nikon Coolscan V. I'll play around with them this weekend but I like the results. Shot at ISO125 on the Canon A-1 on full auto.

They don't seem to want to display so here's a link to all of them: Harman Phoenix scans

2024-01-19-0024.jpg

2024-01-19-0033.jpg

2024-01-19-0038.jpg

Last edited:
I eventually got myself 3 rolls of Harman Phoenix 200. Quite a lot of folk seem to advise setting the EI to 125 or thereabouts, but I decided to set my first roll at box speed. Probably went out in rather too contrasty light, too. Pentax LX, newly acquired Pentax K 55/1.8 lens, and dev/scan by Filmdev (I checked, they had some experience already). The results are... interesting. Some of the colours are way out, some seem relatively fine; highly saturated in some cases. I hope @pentaxpete doesn't mind me adding photos to his thread!

1) Purple (yes, purple) crocuses.

000084470001 Crocuses.jpg

2) Vespas in a row

000084470007 Vespa.jpg

3) Castle and flood

000084470015 Castle.jpg

4) Abbey Lake

000084470024 Lake.jpg

I don't think I have noticed any substantial grain in this film.

I do quite like some of the photos from this film. I'll try to use the next roll on a day with a bit less contrast, but will proably stick with EI 200 at the moment.

I do like the look of it. It's got a lovely warm, old school look to it. But the halation is wild on your samples.

Back