"The newest and the fastest"........a little bit of history.

Edit My Images
No
"Tornado" giving "Mallard" a lift from the NRM at York to the NRM at Shildon where the record breaker is to go on display.

1598cropa.jpg

She is not in a fit state to run under her own power.

Thats what they said on the news last night anyway.

Are they going to restore Mallard? I do hope so! It is a Great British Icon!

I like how there's a class 47 tagged onto the rear. Either it was helping! Or it was there if steam power gave up altogether!

Wouldn't have thought so, they've got their hands full with "Flying Scotsman" at the moment.
It seems bizarre to me that the resources can be found to build a brand new steam engine from scratch, but not to maintain in running condition those two great icons. I recall that the history of the Scotsman post service has been very chequered.

It makes me fume when I recall that the then government threw approaching a billion pounds of taxpayers money at that awful white elephant on the Thames at Greenwich, whilst simultaneously scrapping that great flagwaver and moneyspinner for Britain, The Royal Yacht, and letting icons of British engineering such as this go to rack and ruin.

It seems bizarre to me that the resources can be found to build a brand new steam engine from scratch, but not to maintain in running condition those two great icons. I recall that the history of the Scotsman post service has been very chequered.

If the NRM do the simple thing and order 'new' parts for both Scotsman and Mallard from the same German company who did the boiler and running gear for Tornado, then they could quite possible save themselves a bit of money, but, some dyed in the wool preservationists see that as being sacrilegious to the history of both locos. I'd rather see both locos running than be stuck as museum pieces, although, as you say, Scotsman has had a chequered past.

Back