the next step in photography

coy

Edit My Images
No
Hi i'm new here and somewhat new to photography.Ive just started a photography course and a discussion came about as to where photography is going in the future and is there any good new ideas out there for photography.I thought i would start this duscussion here to see what others think about the future of photography.

Well there was that set up that did the focusing in post processing, i.e. you could adjust the focus after the photo was taken. I think that'll be pretty important if they can get it to work. About as revolutionary as auto-focus.

Yes, but somehow removing some of the skill. Surely the only way you learn when you're making mistakes is through things like "fuzzy" pics? (I'm guessing that something along the same lines was said when autofocus was first invented though?!)

The old adage "The camera never lies" seems to be getting less and less true by the day.....

I see the future being completely digital (waits for barrage of abuse from loyal film fans now....:stir:). It's sad, but I do believe that before too much longer, film will be a distant memory (think vinyl/CD, VHS/DVD). Just my opinion, of course!!

I think coy should do his/her own research ;)

Steep said:
I think coy should do his/her own research ;)

I had exactly the same thoughts when I read the post. :smilenod:

Great minds and all that ;)

Cardboard box, gravel, poison, 28hours a day etc... :)

More pictures taken by more people as the advent of digital has made it accessable to anyone woth a couple of hundred notes and a pc. A good thing? I think not! It's certainly gonna make it a lot harder on pro's.

Just look at what happened to pop music with the advent of computers and home producing. Crazy frog anyone?

I suggest you should have to have a license to wield anything over 1Mp, and that license must be obtained by first doing 15 years sweating in a claustrophobic darkroom, head spinning from the smell of developer. Along with 15 years of getting crap shots cos you can't afford a decent lens or an autofocus camera.

At least that's how I learnt.

Bloody whippersnappers. Don't know how good you've got it! ;)

Witch said:
The old adage "The camera never lies" seems to be getting less and less true by the day.....
I actually think that's been true for a long time. There's plenty of pictures dating back upto ~100 years ago that people have faked.

With the advent of photoshop and other such editing packages it has just become much easier.

I would hazard a guess that 95% of photos in magazines/newspapers are touched up in some shape or form

minimeeze said:
I see the future being completely digital (waits for barrage of abuse from loyal film fans now....:stir:). It's sad, but I do believe that before too much longer, film will be a distant memory (think vinyl/CD, VHS/DVD). Just my opinion, of course!!
i see what you are saying, but things like vinyl are very much still alive and well, its just that they are left for the enthusiast community that prefer the sound from plastic to digital. they have a good point but most of us cave in for convienience. i think you'll see film remaining for some enthusiats too, medium and large format users for example. some people just perfer the process.

I suggest you should have to have a license to wield anything over 1Mp, and that license must be obtained by first doing 15 years sweating in a claustrophobic darkroom, head spinning from the smell of developer

Hell I'll :beer: to that one. :D

Although I really love the smell of film chemistry. I think I must have developed an adiction. :whistle2:

OK....... :getmecoat

Film will always have it's place. I'm having a 5minute rennaissance on it at the moment. It's just a weird thing. I was thinking about this last night as I was scanning some negs, and looking at them at 100% they look rough, you can see the grain in the emulsion clearly but the subtlety of tonal range captured is beyond anything I've seen in digital. And I think that's the crux of the matter. Maybe that it's like the high frequencies you lose with cd's Vs analogue, you may not be able to directly perceive them, but they affect the way the thing works as a whole.

Or maybe I'm being a horses arse for a change. I'm sure someone will point it out if I am. ;)

I intend taking my little point-and-shoot APS camera with me on holiday - purely for panoramas. Theory is that if I want something special I can stitch photos from the DSLR, but just as a "memory shot" I can take a single shot on the APS. While the format never entirely took off I must admit to liking it. In fact I keep being tempted by the EOS IX's when they come up on eBay!

Gandhi said:
Maybe that it's like the high frequencies you lose with cd's Vs analogue, you may not be able to directly perceive them, but they affect the way the thing works as a whole.

Or maybe I'm being a horses arse for a change. I'm sure someone will point it out if I am. ;)

Thats the problem with CD's , 14 bit sampling at 44.1KHz does not make good sound but it's the standard we're stuck with . The digital camera sensor is evolving daily as technology pushes forward with no huge recording industry to hold it two decades behind :).

It will be a while before the resolution matches film but I can see the spectral range getting there soon:smilenod:

Back