The next step on my learning journey.

simon ess

Just call me Roxanne.
Edit My Images
No
I'm fairly pleased with my progress so far, but want to get a better balance between ambient light and flash to avoid black backgrounds and make the shot more natural looking.
I'm finding that Macro photography is all about balance and compromise. Here, I'm sacrificing DOF for ambient light.
These are all taken with reversed 50mm at f8 on 56mm of tubes.
1/80 sec. ISO 200. Diffused flas on manual at half power. Hand held.
C&C welcome.

For me, no 1 works well! As you say, the dof is shallow, but is where it should be. I find the balance with the background about right, given that it is completely oof. I also find the positioning of the subject in the photo good, as it implies motion.

Not too sure about the other 2. I don't particularly like the portrait aspect of No 2 and No 3, although focussed on the face, lacks vibrancy. However, in all 3, there is great detail in the focussed areas.

Please don't take any offence from this, I would like to see what others say!

Ernie

I like all those - nice natural balance between flash and ambient light. You've done well to avoid reflections in those eyes - even using diffused flash.

No offence taken at all Ernie :)
I really appreciate your input. I think you're highlighting what I'm ultimately aiming for. That is, a macro is more than just a technical close-up. It should still have the qualities required to make a good photograph.

Thanks.

Back