127 KB · Views: 10
I also had a J1 but IR converted.

N1 V1-8.jpgN1 V1-9.jpgN1 V1-10.jpg

V1 and 70-300mm lens hand held.....

Attachments

• N1 V1-12.jpg
    N1 V1-12.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 7
Very cool images! They are all from a J1? And the bottom two are obviously IR. I should convert one of my N1 cameras to IR. Is that easy but expensive? Do people do it themselves or take it to a store for the conversion?
All from J1, just with different PP applied. I brought it converted, cannot remember the wavelength but certainly gives you another perspective to play with.

V1 and 70-300mm lens hand held.....
Yeah, the moon with the 70-300mm is pretty good. I've seen other V shooters and their moons and they were also impressive. I don't have that lens, but was able to get a decent moon shot with the 30-110mm, hand held, as well.

Sorry! Beehives? That building is actually a beehive? Or it houses beehives?
Each door in the wooden shed houses a beehive. Its a real hive of activity at this time of year, the noise is almost deafening

Each door in the wooden shed houses a beehive. Its a real hive of activity at this time of year, the noise is almost deafening
Thanks for the explanation! That’s pretty cool. They have their pretty colored doors. And as you stated: it’s a hive of activity.

Nice candid street shot, the only distracting bit to me eye is the crop on the feet and case but some great textures and contrast in there.
Thanks for the comment! Unfortunately, this was one of those cases where I didn't have the proper lens on my camera. Sometimes though a photo taken is better than one not. :ROFLMAO:

Firstly, the lenses that seem most robust:

10-30 PD ( ie 27-81 EFL )
6.7-13 ( ie 18-35 EFL ) - this is the equal of the Olympus 9-18 which I also have
70-300 CX VR ( ie 189-810 EFL ) - this is the extremely compact - liked by Thom Hogan but as a "sunny 16 " lens but AI NR have shifted that limited capabilility a lot. It can suffer ribbon cable problems but is repairable

The ones that suffer from the stuck aperture are:

10-30 non PD - although Nikon had a recall on these but NOT for this issue - lenses ex this recall seem OK ?? - I have a couple.
30-110
10-100 non PD
32/1.2 ( less so )

Richard Dutton AKA "Piper"
Hello, could you explain PD and non PD please?
I ordered a J3 and 10-30 from Wex today and then saw this thread, so I'm a bit worried about the lens now! Hoping I get a good 'un when it arrives in a couple of days.

Thanks a lot.

This is what a 10-30 PD looks like:

The PD lens have motorised zooms like those on many point and shoot cameras. You rotate a ring on the lens to go between wide and tele.

Probably posted the following before but .....

You have 12 months warranty from Wex so if its a non-PD then, hopefully, a stuck aperture might show up in that time. Just keep using it - it seems that the worst thing is not to exercise the lens aperture regularly. I think the blades and mechanism gets stiff and this causes the pinion to fail.
Huang at MYDC.com.tw in Taipei can fix Nikon 1 lenses. For the stuck aperture issue he replaces the plastic pinion/gear with a metal one.
I have a lot of N1 stuff so I have had about 4 lenses fixed. I sent them off in two batches to save on shipping costs. You can email Mr Huang for a quote at repair@mydc.com.tw

Enjoy your J1

Richard

This is what a 10-30 PD looks like:

The PD lens have motorised zooms like those on many point and shoot cameras. You rotate a ring on the lens to go between wide and tele.

Probably posted the following before but .....

You have 12 months warranty from Wex so if its a non-PD then, hopefully, a stuck aperture might show up in that time. Just keep using it - it seems that the worst thing is not to exercise the lens aperture regularly. I think the blades and mechanism gets stiff and this causes the pinion to fail.
Huang at MYDC.com.tw in Taipei can fix Nikon 1 lenses. For the stuck aperture issue he replaces the plastic pinion/gear with a metal one.
I have a lot of N1 stuff so I have had about 4 lenses fixed. I sent them off in two batches to save on shipping costs. You can email Mr Huang for a quote at repair@mydc.com.tw

Enjoy your J1

Richard
Thanks for your reply, Richard.
I had a look and the one I ordered is the non PD, so I'll see how it goes. Never had any problems with used gear from WEX before, so fingers crossed.
Thanks again for your trouble.
Cheers
Garry

I had the V1 many years ago as a travel camera, which I sold when I bought the Z50, although the Z50 is a cracking camera, it's certainly not pocketable as the V1, so after deciding I wanted to venture out into the West end over the Christmas period, I managed to find a mint condition V1 and the 10-30 lens, I'm still loving the colours it gives, and it fits perfectly in my winter coat.

Attachments

• 20240329_214821.jpg
    20240329_214821.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240329_214850.jpg
    20240329_214850.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240329_214919.jpg
    20240329_214919.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240329_215031.jpg
    20240329_215031.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 11
The camera and lens turned up a couple of days ago, and both were near mint condition. The lens works ok and doesn't seem to have any aperture problems.
I've decided to inflict a couple of my snapshots on you all to show what the pictures are like from it.

DSC_0535.JPGDSC_0624.JPG

I added a J2 to my camera options about six months ago. Initially I was rather keen on it but it's native lenses have let it down heavily - two thirds of the native lenses I got for it are faulty - in any of my other systems have more than 1 in 10 lenses have issues is unheard of!
One of my lenses has developed what I believe is the aperture fault mentioned at the start of the thread, which unlike other systems (where the lens is usable as long as the aperture is left alone) makes the lens completely dead.
Another lens works fine at the wide end of the zoom range, but blocks everything when zoomed in too far.

I'm generally happy adapting lenses to my cameras, but the J2 as proved inconvenient for this too. The body has focus peaking, but both this & the metering is disabled if the camera doesn't think it can communicate with the lens. A chipped adapter enables both these functions but the only one I've managed to find is for Nikon F mount which is just about the most limited option for adapting!

One final bug with the system is that the camera seems to drain batteries if they are fitted while it is turned off. This isn't a fault of the battery as it keeps charge well as long as it's not in the camera.

The camera has a sensor that sits in the huge gap between my Pentax Q bodies & MFT, but it's issues have me seriously considering selling it (it's almost unheard of for me to sell photographic gear unless I have multiple copies of the same thing).

The J2's option to shoot at 60fps is currently the only thing that gives it an advantage over my other cameras, none of my others can best 30fps but it only at most once or twice a year that I'm likely to shoot things that might need such burst rates - typically single shots work fine for me, but bursting water filled balloons has shown there can be huge differences in subjects over 1/60s - three consecutive 60fps frames from a friends camera differ very significantly (rubber just starting to split, rubber gone & fine spray of water seen & fine spray gone leaving just the main bulk of water).

Back