The Raptor Foundation

grumpybadger

Alan Rickman
Name
Paul Beastall
Edit My Images
Yes
Nipped out before the rain this morning to try out my new 100-400 lens. It's the first real use its had and I wanted to check it out properly before using it in anger.

It was pretty dark and so a lot of pictures were lost due to motion blur but I managed to get some I was reasonably happy with.

1. Lanner Falcon (I think)
XE7K6955.jpg

2. Saker/Perigrine Hybrid (I think)
XE7K7096.jpg

3. Harris Hawk
XE7K6895.jpg

4. Common Buzzard
XE7K6905.jpg

5. European Eagle Owl
XE7K7065.jpg

6. Kestrel
XE7K7052.jpg

And new for this year, something I've never seen flying before...

7. Kookaburra
XE7K7017.jpg

8. Kookaburra again
XE7K7016-Edit.jpg

All with EOS-1Ds Mk II, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS, handheld

I'm normally a tripod and prime sort of chap and whilst this is the way to get the very best image quality, I'm rather taken with the flexibility of the 100-400.

As always, C&C appreciated.

thanks

Paul

Nice set Paul (y)
The harris for me but I am bias :D
The Lanner's a Lanner
The pere x saker I am pretty sure is not
they have blue cere's ( behind the beak) feet and eye "surrounds"
There is also a lot of white in there so I would guess gyr x saker

Excellent set Paul - Like them all but that 1st Kookaburra is my fav.

Brilliant series Paul, I too love them kookaburra shots but all are great (y)

Great set, would be the Kookaburra, very nice, are they croped at all or as shot?

Thanks all. I'm particularly taken with a kookaburra as it is a first for me (and kingfishers seem popular on here!)

Stuart - they are mostly slight crops, but nothing too heavy. The kookaburra was taken at 180mm on a full frame camera, so reach wasn't the issue!

I hope to go back when it is brighter and have another crack. A couple of them show a touch of motion blur so it would be nicer to get a better shutter speed.

Paul

Amazing pics, got to be the owl for me. If it wasn't for the forground "foliage" it would be nigh on perfect.

Superb set Paul, the Owl is my fave (y)

Love the Kookaburra in number 7, love the pose and the look in the face :)

Thanks guys. Yup, looks like the lens is going to become a stable entry in my bag. It's a great complement to the 500. Just back from a 370 mile round trip to Gigrin so more from it soon!

Chris - I thought gyrs were also blue ringed around the eyes. (I'm sure the one I've met is) I'll check what they reckon it is at the falconry centre next time I'm there. Could it be a tri-breed?

Paul

Chris - I thought gyrs were also blue ringed around the eyes. (I'm sure the one I've met is) I'll check what they reckon it is at the falconry centre next time I'm there. Could it be a tri-breed?

Paul

Hi Paul
pure Gyrs are yellow eyed and cere'd ( if that a word)
Gyr sakers tend to be the same though you do get the occasional
grey-ish blue one.

The trouble is now-a-days there are so many hybrids, tribrids ( or "worse" )
out there that it is actually quite difficult to follow the parentage.

With out going to far in to it ,for example a pure gyr is worth a hell of a lot more
than a hybrid, and not all hybrids actually look like hybrids.

If someone has a hybrid that looks like a pure hawk ( of what ever species)
and sells it as pure, then that owner breeds from it, and in all innocence, claiming the the off spring are pure. You now have a hybrid.

Said hybrid owner thinking it pure puts birds to other birds for breeding purposes, which in turn may or may not be pure

Most hybrids of course are "deliberate acts" but if the base stock is not pure...
Then a generation or two down the line the "odd" colourations start to appear
Do you see where this is going?................

To answer the last part it could be a Gyr x pere x saker they are now quite a
popular tribrid

Last edited:
Back