The Red Arrows - Dramatic Set

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

Its taken me a good week to get these images processed, all were shot during the Royal International Air Tattoo last weekend and all of them needed some processing. Some are supposed to look more dramatic or engaging and some are more faithful.

Its taken me ages to process these I'd appreciate some advice on how to improve them further. I've worked hard to bring out the dynamism and magic of the red arrows rather than digitally recording their routine...

(Apologies for the watermarking)
p755883008-4.jpg

p877246469-4.jpg

p916872430-4.jpg

p810318796-4.jpg

p851008601-4.jpg

p892770339-4.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look at my images. There are other shots that I took that day here if you look, let me know if you think any are worth posting here.

Sorry for the long post, hope you like my take on the Reds in the Rain.

-Rob

Last edited:
great set!! :clap: love number 4, very dramatic look to these, the time taken has more than paid off me thinks.

Its taken me ages to process these I'd appreciate some advice on how to improve them further.

Good luck, I cant say that I feel any need further work - as has already been said, the time spent has certainly paid off.

Struggling to pick a winner personally, but I think number 2 JUST takes it, Possibly number 1 with the bule smoke cloned out as it would look like selective colouring but thats a very personal thing it would appear :)

Great work (y)

Superb - No4 is the best for me, but I like what you have done in No6 - panned from right to left on the nearest Hawk getting it sharp whist blurring the other Hawk. That works really well.

Thank you everyone for your replies, I poured a lot of time into these so I really appreciate the feedback.

I think its interesting that people come up with different favourites and dislikes, I'm pleased to produce a set with such variety.

liking number 3 a lot...very dramatic

is there a lot of HDR in these photos?

There's no actual HDR going on here, no multiple exposure blending etc although the end result looks similar in some images. These are all made up of layers with different levels and curves and lots of masking.

Last edited:
A marvelous set :clap: I like no.4 the most. Your time and detailed processing has paid dividends IMO.

I do hope you've submitted a couple (at least) of these to relevant places, perhaps for publishing :shrug: I'm sure you would get great results from doing so :D

Thats very kind of you to say Jo, I wouldn't know where to start though :thinking:

Here's my interpretation.

#1 Head-on shots are difficult to carry out as the aircraft are small, so the smoke trail and background have to compensate. In this shot the smoke could be lightened and the sky darkened.

#2 If the Hawks could be lightened and increased in saturation to bring out the main subject, it would have more impact.

#3 Terrific symmetric Red's crossover.

#4 This is the best shot. The coiled smoke trail over the rainy sky makes it. However, it needs more colour for impact, I would suggest processing the red and blue smoke lighter and more saturated. Similarly with the Hawks.

#5 Another good capture, but spoiled by being cut off at the bottom.

#6 Another very good crossover capture.

Ed

Here's my interpretation.

#1 Head-on shots are difficult to carry out as the aircraft are small, so the smoke trail and background have to compensate. In this shot the smoke could be lightened and the sky darkened.

#2 If the Hawks could be lightened and increased in saturation to bring out the main subject, it would have more impact.

#3 Terrific symmetric Red's crossover.

#4 This is the best shot. The coiled smoke trail over the rainy sky makes it. However, it needs more colour for impact, I would suggest processing the red and blue smoke lighter and more saturated. Similarly with the Hawks.

#5 Another good capture, but spoiled by being cut off at the bottom.

#6 Another very good crossover capture.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Thank you very much for taking the time to produce a balanced and well thought out crit. I agree with a lot of your points apart from saturation, I'm not sure if your looking at these on calibrated monitors or not (I am) but I think any more saturation to these already heavily processed shots will take them too far from reality. I might go back to #1 with some more dodge and burn though...

Again, thank you for your crit (y)

Thanks Graham, kind of you to say so!

I'm pleased that the processing has gone down well :D

Back