The Ride Of Their Lives (on the London Eye)

Two very nice captures of the London Eye Steve, both different but equally as good.

Something about these makes me want you to combine them, so the scene is crisp and contrasty as with the first image, but with the wheel blurred.

Something about these makes me want you to combine them, so the scene is crisp and contrasty as with the first image, but with the wheel blurred.

I think the problem with the second image isn't the contrast, it's the lack of colour in the buildings. This could have been because the colours changed and the long exposure washed them out, or, they changed during the exposure.

I think the problem with the second image isn't the contrast, it's the lack of colour in the buildings. This could have been because the colours changed and the long exposure washed them out, or, they changed during the exposure.

I've looked at them full-size on flickr now. The difference seems to be a lack of contrast in the longer exposure, the first image being a lot punchier. You're shooting at f14 for the longer exposure on a cropped sensor, and with a big zoom range and complex optical formula it may be that the lens is already showing reduced contrast.

I've looked at them full-size on flickr now. The difference seems to be a lack of contrast in the longer exposure, the first image being a lot punchier. You're shooting at f14 for the longer exposure on a cropped sensor, and with a big zoom range and complex optical formula it may be that the lens is already showing reduced contrast.

Unfortunately I had to go to f/14 to achieve an exposure long enough to get the full effect of the eye moving. Anything less than 20 seconds and I wouldn't have achieved the complete circle as the gondola's take aprox 15 to 20 seconds to make a full movement. Being so close probably didn't help with the zoom at 35mm, a better image of the wheel moving was achieved from further down the river using a bigger zoom, keeping the light down and achieving 20 seconds at ISO 100 with an aperture of f/8.

You need an ND filter for that kind of work.

yep, I had one with me but couldn't be bothered to put it on as it wasn't the reason why I was there. I wanted to photograph the Hungerford Bridge, but the view was blocked by building work one side and a bridge down to a pontoon the other, Thankfully, I managed to get some better photos last year just after we came out of lockdown :D

Back